Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2005, 01:26 PM

Default Re: Family situation, need some advice

No matter what you tell your parents, they will always believe that you've got the money; because you do. Your parents don't think like we do. So whatever you do, don't make it a matter of money.

Make it a matter of, "It's not even my goddamn truck, I'm not going to drive it, so I'm not going to fix it."

If your parents won't let you have it for your sophomore year, so be it. You don't need a car anyway.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Just want to say thanks for the points from everyone, positive and negative.

Going into this I had decided that due to the money and the frustration surrounding the strings attached to the gifts that I was not going to take it anymore. I was just curious if I was out of my mind or not.

8 more days, 8 more days, 8 more days...
Old 08-06-2005, 02:54 PM

Default Update

Okay, my mom e-mailed back, which is good because our conversations are more well organized and logical compared to voiced conversations, which can tend to get carried away or go on a tangent.

She didn't address the action she was going to take, but said the issue at hand was more my responsibility with dealing with the issue and less with actually repairing the truck. I quote, "You have prioritized your
summer in a way that was meaningful only to you.... This isn't as much about
the truck as it is about you having accepted your responsibility for the
accident, which you did not."

Of course, we disagree on this, and me making my living this summer off of online poker and lawn mowing probably contributed to this one.

Since she made clear that it was HER truck and "loaning" it to me, I feel if it's even my responsibility at all, I should decide when I can fix the truck since the dent is only aesthetical.

Ah well. Thankfully she isn't pissed, so I haven't burned any bridges.
Old 08-06-2005, 03:56 PM

Default Re: Update

[ QUOTE ]
me making my living this summer off of online poker and lawn mowing

[/ QUOTE ]

nice combo
Old 08-06-2005, 06:46 PM

Default Re: Update

[ QUOTE ]

She didn't address the action she was going to take, but said the issue at hand was more my responsibility with dealing with the issue and less with actually repairing the truck. I quote, "You have prioritized your
summer in a way that was meaningful only to you.... This isn't as much about
the truck as it is about you having accepted your responsibility for the
accident, which you did not."

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO. I hate to say it but your mom wins. Her points are right on the money. Between the ages of 1 and 22 we think mostly of ourselves. Of course I'm being general but those of us over the age of 30 know what I mean, lol.

My only fault with your mom was that she didn't first tell you this after YOU didn't come and discuss the situation with her after the truck got dented and just proceeded to say she'd sell the truck.
Old 08-06-2005, 07:41 PM

I guess I am confused? They 'gave' you the cell phone and the truck? Yet they pay the monthly service plan, insurance, registration fees, etc. Would/could you afford to pay these yourself? If so, sit down (with your mom first minus the stepdad) and explain that you would like the additional responsibilities of paying for these yourself.

Act more like an adult and they will treat you more like an adult. They will appreciate the fact that you initiate an adult to adult talk. They sound like they are good parents that are trying to help you grow into a responsible adult. I can assure you it is difficult for all growing up in a divorced family!

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 08-07-2005, 08:12 PM

"Unfortunately, the way with everything my mom and stepdad give me, is that every "gift" is conditional. My truck, my cell phone, the cell phone service, are all taken hostage when we have a disagreement. In essence these "gifts" aren't even mine, I'm just using them from my parents under the condition that I *obey*.

Well, I'm going to college now and I think that is horse [censored]."

So, you want to do whatever you please but continue to live under your parents' financial umbrella? I'm guessing that the cell phone and others are as much "yours" as it turns out the truck is.

Appreciation and gratitude, along with a little humility, might be nice for you to pick up.
Old 08-07-2005, 09:52 PM

piss on your possessions and see if they take them after that.