Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2004, 03:18 PM

Default Re: The best rock album of all time is . . .

[ QUOTE ]
i think page is a great WRITER, but technically proficient? he's arguably the sloppiest "pro guitarist" ever.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thank you. This needed saying.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:29 PM

Is sloppy bad?
Old 07-04-2004, 03:32 PM

"Is sloppy bad?"

Depends on who she is.

-Michael
Old 07-04-2004, 03:38 PM

I think my current favorite record is New Colors in Bulgarian Wedding Music by the Yuri Yunakov Ensemble which, while it certainly has rock influences, wouldn't be classified as rock & roll as such.

Is the panel willing to accept Dire Straits as rock and roll? If so, I submit Making Movies. If not, I'd probably go with Dream Theater Images and Words. I don't expect anyone to agree with my choices, and I'd probably be disappointed if someone did.

I was somewhat surprised that the Stones didn't get more mentions, but certainly not offended. I never was a fan of theirs, and I figure that if you've been around long enough, you're going to write some really good tunes--and they do have some--just by accident.

Jethro Tull was mentioned in a couple of posts, but no specific record was mentioned. I wouldn't presume to put forth any album by them as the best of all time, but I go to a fair number of concerts, spanning a number of genres, including classical, rock, folk, and some really eclectic stuff. I started to list the concerts I've been to this year, and it occurred to me that there would probably be some posters who had never heard of any of them. Anyway, the best concert I have ever seen, including everybody, was Jethro Tull in 1989.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:47 PM

I have always found that the recordings I tend to like the most in the long term are the ones I say "what the Hell is this crap" about when I first hear them. "Making Movies" by Dire Straights was that way and I agree with you that it is a great album.
Also, sloppy is not bad (reference to your reply to astroglide). In fact, it is what makes Page what he is. Technically proficient guitarists are a bit of a bore IMO. Of course, I love Frank Zappa's guitar work so I could just be out of my mind altogether.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:48 PM

Still owns a turntable? I had to buy one last year when I got divorced. I still buy albums because I find them aestetically pleasing and because I'm cheap.

Beethoven is probably something like my 20th-favorite "classical" composer, but there is no rock and roll equivalent of Beethoven's Ninth, of Mahler's Second, of Brahms' Second, of Schubert's Eighth, of Sibelius' Second, of Dvorak's Ninth, or of a lot of other tunes in that vein. There just ain't, and it isn't close.

Which isn't to say that I don't enjoy rock and roll.

My local classical radio station recently played Beethoven's Ninth in celebration of the end of their blood drive. I hadn't heard it in a few years, and I had forgotten just how stinking long it is. This is coming from a Mahler fan.
Old 07-04-2004, 03:56 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

"sloppy" is usually not a stylistic or positive thing. just like snoring isn't, but sometimes people develop an affection for it. page has enough talent to overcome it and even cause people to "like him for it". without that other talent, people would just say he played worse than a non-sloppy player.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:12 PM

If you know someone with an affection for snoring, please, give me her phone number.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:15 PM

I come from a classical music background. If you don't play cleanly there, well, there isn't a whole lot else to discuss. In rock, blues, or jazz, though, I think that a certain amount of "sloppiness" can be quite expressive. There are a lot of classical players hitting the scene now whose playing is technically brilliant, but whom I wouldn't cross the street to listen to because they leave me cold. Alvin Lee was technically brilliant, but I haven't seen any Ten Years After mentions yet.

There was never a point at which I didn't like any of Dire Straits' records, but there have been a number of records that I've reacted to the same way you reacted to Making Movies. I bought Queensryche's Operation: Mindcrime a number of years back, listened to it once, and then shelved it. I listened to it several months later, and thought, "this is brilliant." There are some things I might have left out, but it's still one of my favorite records.
Old 07-04-2004, 04:58 PM

Winterhearts Guild- Sonata Arctica

"are you with Sonata Arctica?"
"well....unofficially" [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]