Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-06-2004, 10:49 PM

Default Re: What is the best poker play you\'ve seen on TV?

I don't know if it counts as "on TV" but there was an incredible hand played by Simon "Aces" Trumper in the first world headsup championship video. Basically he is playing headsup and flops a set. His opponent turns two pair and rivers the overfull (the board is something like 35T-T-7 or of that nature and Trumper has 33 and the other guy T7). The guy bets out fairly healthy on the river and Trumper just calls.

Another pretty powerful "don't get broke hand" was Hellmuth just calling the river with trip queens against Gordon's full house in Aruba year 1.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know if it counts as "on TV" but there was an incredible hand played by Simon "Aces" Trumper in the first world headsup championship video. Basically he is playing headsup and flops a set. His opponent turns two pair and rivers the overfull (the board is something like 35T-T-7 or of that nature and Trumper has 33 and the other guy T7). The guy bets out fairly healthy on the river and Trumper just calls.

Another pretty powerful "don't get broke hand" was Hellmuth just calling the river with trip queens against Gordon's full house in Aruba year 1.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya, was a great call, just not "the best call(only) you've ever seen in your [censored] life" as he put it.

His KK laydown preflop, however, in the same tourney, is either the dumbest or most brilliant play i have ever seen.
I'm still not quite sure which.
Old 10-07-2004, 12:49 AM

It might have deserved the comment to be honest. That was an incredible call!

The KK however I did not approve of. Had I been his opponent I would have shown one king and mucked the other card.
Old 10-07-2004, 05:15 AM

I hope I'm not repeating one but I loved Scotty's bluff in the 2003 WSOP. Scotty bluffed Humberto when Humberto had a great hand. I know many of you know all the specifics and I beg for one of you to go over that great but VERY reckless hand.
Old 10-07-2004, 03:20 PM

Yeah, thus my consternation on KK play. Was still most riveting oker I've ever watched.

"WTF! CALL ALREADY! HE'S GONNA TIME OUT KK HEADS UP PREFLOP!"
-actual transcript of my comments during hand.

I guess to guys like us, the 3's full call was brilliant, but hi limit guys know that folding is not much of a option, but neither is raising, as few people are going to call with anything less than a house, and as he was on the prairie (), calling was really the only good option. Not many experienced pros raise the river there. His "great" play on the river is also tempered considerably by his mistake of not raising the turn, but I dont remember if opponent had type of hand to call(trips, mebbe, two pair, prolly not). Then again, not raising may have SAVED him, but that's not really the point.
Old 10-31-2004, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

in 1983, amarillo slim folded a set of sixes when tom mcevoy moved in on the turn with a set of aces... slim revealed his pocket sixes to gauge mcevoy's reaction, and tom turned over one of his aces... slim sensed something was up and allowed himself to be timed out

[/ QUOTE ]

I just watched this episode of 1983 WSOP too & am puzzling over that fascinating hand. Slim flopped his set of 6s and slow played, just calling McEvoy's bet on the flop and his bet on the turn when an A came. When a blank hit on the end, that's when McVoy moved all in, and it was then that the players started exposing their cards. Question is, do we know for sure McEvoy had AA in the hole? Has he ever admitted it (there was no hole-card camera in those days)? Exposing 1 A, after Slim exposed his 66, was obviously designed to create that impression; but creating that impression seems like exactly the *wrong* thing to do if you want a call, which McEvoy would have wanted if he had AA. Sure, it's not 100% clear that he has AA when he shows only 1; but if had showed *none*, Slim would have even less reason to put him on AA. So my thought was that McEvoy only had the 1 A in the hole and showed it to induce a fold. Of course, then I can't explain the fold by Slim, since he could have figured all this out too... Someone was brilliant here, but it's not clear who (unless McEvoy has since explained what was going on).
Old 10-31-2004, 01:41 PM

I asked Tom once and he said he did have AA on this hand.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:10 PM

BY FAR... the best play I've ever seen on TV was a heads-up hand (it could have been 3 way, but I'm pretty sure it was heads-up) with Daniel Negreanu and Freddy Deebe. I think it was the Fox broadcast at the Plaza in downtown Vegas after the 2004 World Series. I don't remember the hand precisely, but I think Freddy had AK, and the board flopped a king with rags. Negreanu had absolutely nothing, and I think he either kept leading at the pot, or Freddy was slow playing his hand and was not making large bets, so Daniel kept on calling him down -- he had some kind of draw perhaps but nothing much. Anyway, it finally gets to the river and it was clear that Daniel had nothing and had to abandon his hand. Freddy made a nice size bet and just when it seemed that Daniel would fold he goes on to make a pretty sizable raise with absolutely nothing.

The beauty of it was that it wasn't an all-in or huge raise, but it was a pretty big raise. From the amount of raise it almost seemed that he wanted a call, which is clearly how Freddy read it. Also, the river made it look like Daniel could have hit a straight draw. Freddy decides to fold and then Daniel shows his bluff. I've never seen a player get so flustered by a hand. Freddy was done from there. He couldn't think of anything but the missed opportunity. As Pedro said about the Yankees (although he ultimately got back at them) Daniel was Freddy's daddy! Hopefully, Freddy will get back at Daniel too one day.
Old 10-31-2004, 05:53 PM

YEah, that one was nice.