Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM

Default Re: results

If I'm playing with regular opponents, I have a simple rule about this:

If they are typical guys, then I'll turn my hand over. If they are known to pull angles and try to do things, I tell them to "show or throw."

Against unknowns, I would never say anything, and just sit there. This is especially true in a high limit game. He's trying to get more information, in all likeliehood. Diablo may think you're a bastard, but who cares? Poker isn't about making friends, it's about making money. Besides, as long as you're a guy who is straight-up at the table, people will like you well enough.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Well, for sure, against angle shooters, BK's method is just fine. But most unknowns are not angle shooters, so Tommy's method seems better to me regardless of the limits you are playing. Don't forget that the reverse situation could occur in just a few minutes time i.e. BK's bluff may be called by this guy and BK could just say 'I missed" and the other chap will likely do the Tommy thing.

[ QUOTE ]
Poker isn't about making friends, it's about making money.

[/ QUOTE ]

All other things being equal, a friendly game {or just a normal game without built in hostilities] is a more profitable game.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM

I would bet that a guy doing this in the 150-300 game in Vegas is an ass. This is a general rule I have regarding high-limit Vegas regulars. That's why I have no problem doing it here. It would be obvious to me if I were there, since it's about 90% clear to me sitting in a basement lab 1000 miles away.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said king-high, I sat there, unresponsive. He said king-high again and I did the "roll it over" motion and he disgustingly turned over King ten of hearts, I showed my hand and took the pot.

I agree it's a little bit rude perhaps, but if he wants to see my hand it's only fair if he shows his.

I guess I am in the minority here, but while playing with an unknown in a strange land, in a big game doing anything but what bk did i dont think would be right. He gets to see my hand I want to see his. If he doesnt want to show his hand thats his right. And im sure most people would agree I am the opposite of nit/serious guy at the table.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:41 PM

how about just flipping over enough to show you beat what he declares, as another variation? If you can beat what he declares with one card, show it. If he wants to see more, then be assertive about seeing his hand. quick, honest, doesn't give him the free look.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:30 AM

Obviously you give them the "statue." Do not talk, move, or blind until your opponents cards hit the muck or are shown.
Old 11-11-2005, 06:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Obviously you give them the "statue." Do not talk, move, or blind until your opponents cards hit the muck or are shown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you Internet kids get better at live poker, you will actually know what they have and won't need this nonsense.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you Internet kids get better at live poker, you will actually know what they have and won't need this nonsense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you live oldies get better at poker you can just muck your king high without announcing it and waiting to see what we called you down with since you should already know what we have?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

Diablo sorry your logic sucks.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Once you live oldies get better at poker you can just muck your king high without announcing it and waiting to see what we called you down with since you should already know what we have?? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

NH mikey [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-11-2005, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The dude already said King-high. Not sure why you kids find this all so confusing.

Edited to add: This is very different from the guy just sitting there not showing or saying "I missed."