Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Default Re: people that are vegetarian

Here's why I don't like the anti-factory farming argument. To me, not eating meat becuase it supports bad practices is like not wearing shoes becuase they were made by slave labor in East Asia.
Factory farming is really bad, but
1. Being vegan or vegetarian is a lot of work (I live with a vegan so I kind of know) and
2. It accomplishes practicly nothing. There are probably 100 things you could do that would me more effective and would require much less effort
Old 09-09-2005, 03:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here's why I don't like the anti-factory farming argument. To me, not eating meat becuase it supports bad practices is like not wearing shoes becuase they were made by slave labor in East Asia.
1. Being vegan or vegetarian is a lot of work (I live with a vegan so I kind of know) and
2. It accomplishes practicly nothing. There are probably 100 things you could do that would me more effective and would require much less effort

[/ QUOTE ]

Easy = right?
Is that what you are saying
Old 09-09-2005, 03:28 PM

Meat taste like murder, and murder taste pretty god damn good.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am a vegan, so I definitely know. There's no work involved. Paying a little more attention to what you eat isn't hard labor. How does this refute the anti-factory farming argument?

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not everyone is trying to accomplish anything in particular. Some of us just conscientiously choose not to support an industry we disagree with. No one can change the world on his own. You can resign yourself to do nothing, or you can do what you can. To each his own. And what is this about effort? I'm the laziest guy in the world. It really doesn't make me sweat to ask the waiter if they use dairy products in the pasta.
Old 09-09-2005, 03:53 PM

About 7 years ago, I was living in a house in S.F. where anything cooked in the house had to be vegan. It was a big place, and there was a range of peopel who lived there. Some ate meat, some did not. Out of respect for those who did not, we never brought any meat into the house. Anyway, I got really interested in the moral implications of eating meat.

Then one day I was on Market Street playing chess with some people who hung out down there all the time. Most of them were on the street or close to it. Anyway, one guy was really high on crack and got into an argument with a guy I was pretty friendly with. The drugged guy pulled out a huge knife and chased my friend all over the sidewalk. Everyone was laughing because we though he was just joking around (normally, he was a total goofball). Finally, he caught up with my friend and stabbed him in the back and side 7 times.

To make an already long story shorter, something sorta clicked for me at that moment. Seeing this vicious violent act made me literally sick to my stomach. I was in a daze for 24 hours. I couldn't sleep. Then the next time I went to eat meat, I couldn't do it. In my mind, I had linked the violence that I witnessed with what an animal goes through when it dies. The meat was pretty unappealing after that.

Now I'm a vegetarian just because it's how I am. It's just normal now, and I don't really think about my "reasons" unless someone asks.

I'd also like to add here that I don't really care what other people eat. I want people to respect my choices, so I completely respect theirs.

Marlow
Old 09-09-2005, 03:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you can't eat a nice rare steak once in awhile you're living a noob life.

- Ralph Waldo Emerson

[/ QUOTE ]

Even a veggie like me can recognise true comic talent.

nh

Marlow
Old 09-09-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I refuse to disrespect thousands of years of hard work by my anscestors getting to the top of the food chain by wasting it by acting like I'm on the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhhh....
Old 09-09-2005, 04:00 PM

Releasing gas isn't screaming, it's farting. Plants fart.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:07 PM

Note: I don't actually believe plants scream, and couldn't care less if they did. I'm positive animals make noise when you kill them, and that hasn't given me pause yet.
Old 09-09-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: I don't actually believe plants scream, and couldn't care less if they did. I'm positive animals make noise when you kill them, and that hasn't given me pause yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly.. and I make noise when I eat them too .. Mmmmmmmmm