Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-14-2005, 09:13 PM

Default Re: A Question For DS

"What if you found undeniable and irrefutable proof that God exists. In addition, what if you found out that Jesus is God and that the Bible is true and accurate.

How would that make you feel?"

Happy. Obviously. That is exactly the point that most religious people don't see. They somehow think that those who don't believe are psychologically predisposed not to. It most cases the real reason is simply that they think straight and go where the evidence leads them.

Don't you think that the vast majority of those who believe OJ is guilty would be happy to find out he is not? They wouldn't feel foolish if they were proved wrong because they still realize that their thought processes were correct.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"What if you found undeniable and irrefutable proof that God exists. In addition, what if you found out that Jesus is God and that the Bible is true and accurate.

How would that make you feel?"

Happy. Obviously. That is exactly the point that most religious people don't see. They somehow think that those who don't believe are psychologically predisposed not to. It most cases the real reason is simply that they think straight and go where the evidence leads them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am surprised by your answer. But I'm not going to comment on it, or on your line about psychological predisposition because I haven't thought about it much.

But you are wrong if you mean to imply that all atheists would be happy if they knew Bible were true. There are a number of 2+2 posters who have said they would want nothing to do with God even if they knew He were real.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I am not trying to be a smart alec ... with the following question.

[/ QUOTE ]

[img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
That is exactly the point that most religious people don't see. They somehow think that those who don't believe are psychologically predisposed not to

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought u were trying to point out that those that do believe are psychologically predisposed to believing. i guess i was wrong. [oops let me edit this out, thanks].

why are u trying to point out that you think most religious people think that non believers don't want to believe.

Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 PM

Well I too am happy then, David.

The number of atheists that say "and if I die and find out I'm wrong I wont care out of spite!" is very disturbing. With attitudes like that there can be no dialogue.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: A Question For Christians

how upsetting would it be to you if poker was indeed just a game of chance and you'd just been formulating theories to justify why you'd been luckier than all the other dolts over all these years?

your answer to that question is my answer to yours.

fim
Old 03-15-2005, 12:21 AM

Default A Reply from a young Christian

F. Unbothered by it at all.

I am a devoted Christian, and its not about whether I am backing the right or wrong religion.

If God was proven to not exist, and that the Old Testament was proven to be hogwash and that Jesus was someone who cuckold millions over two centuries? The answer to the first and second, is nothing. I would be indifferent (and also in awe for someone to set up an establishment that at one point had power over nations).

The teachings and messages are what is important to any open-hearted Christian. If you were ever to really examine yourself a person of religious belief, the main reason one should be in a religion is because you agree with its teachings. Since this is a psychology forum, I'd like to mention that being able to act on a sense of justice and what is right is Kohlberg's final stage in moral development.

If God does not exist, and Jesus was a liar, should I then not love my neighbour? Should I then commit adultery? Should I steal? Should I kill another person? All the answers here (to me) are all no. Not because they are the commandments from my religion, but because _I_ believe they are the morally incorrect thing to do.

So how upset would I be if God did not exist? Not as much if I were to get sucked out by a 1 outer.

My opinion and beliefs should have been considered by you of all people, being a poker player shouldn't you also consider all possibilities? So why is my position so unrecognized? I'm sure its not that original.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 AM

Default Re: A Reply from a young Christian

[ QUOTE ]
The teachings and messages are what is important to any open-hearted Christian. If you were ever to really examine yourself a person of religious belief, the main reason one should be in a religion is because you agree with its teachings. Since this is a psychology forum, I'd like to mention that being able to act on a sense of justice and what is right is Kohlberg's final stage in moral development.

[/ QUOTE ]

The ethical teachings of Christianity are valuable. But I believe that being a Christian is essentially about having a relationship with God, and not about being taught what to do.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:52 AM

Don't you think that the vast majority of those who believe OJ is guilty would be happy to find out he is not? They wouldn't feel foolish if they were proved wrong because they still realize that their thought processes were correct.

Only a poker player can divorce their emotions from results so well. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-15-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: A Question For Christians

David,
Why did you not include the other 602 laws set forth in the old testament?
Old 03-15-2005, 02:42 AM

Default Re: A Reply from a young Christian

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The ethical teachings of Christianity are valuable. But I believe that being a Christian is essentially about having a relationship with God, and not about being taught what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen brother!