Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-19-2004, 05:31 AM

Default Sixth Break

t30K. Average is t121K, lol.

Was up to t71K when I found AJ in the SB. Folded to me, so I raised. BB came back at me, and I thought he thought I was stealing. I called, he turned over AK. I'm down to 11 or 12K.

Don't think I've been in an all-in hand where I had the worst of it and sucked out yet. It's happened against me a handful of times, though. Maybe that's what it will come to.

Final 16. Next pay level is at 10, so it will be tough. But who knows? I'd love to make the final 9.

-Z
Old 12-19-2004, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Sixth Break

[ QUOTE ]
Final 16. Next pay level is at 10, so it will be tough. But who knows? I'd love to make the final 9.

[/ QUOTE ]

Final 9! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

t198K, average is t216K. Not bad. Small stacks are surviving, though.

-Z
Old 12-19-2004, 06:10 AM

Mini-raise, call, fold? Got to be a story.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:23 AM

2 7th place finishes within a few weeks - I expect more from you!!!!!! Great job. Tough hand to run into.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
2 7th place finishes within a few weeks - I expect more from you!!!!!! Great job. Tough hand to run into.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I felt I was actually playing tighter than anyone else at the table... the guy that went all-in was the shortstack along with me (approx. t120K), and had exactly what I expected--Ax. So I called with JJ. I only gave a fleeting thought to someone behind me calling, too, as 90% of the PF raises were winning the blinds. Figured everyone else would fold with one of us about to go out, unless they had AA or KK. Unfortunately...

It's a shame the other guy had me slightly covered and finished sixth. Would have liked that extra $3K. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Anyway, it was fun. I'd love to win one of these someday, though.

Oh, and that hand with the min. raise, called, fold on flop... I had an AK. Flop came Qxx. I checked, big stack bet, I folded.

The thing about these tournaments is that it may look like you should just sit back and let the others knock each other out, especially when you see someone with t50K sneak into third or fourth. But with 10k/15k blinds and above, you have to at least break even on your stealing blinds/stolen blinds or you can't sit back for very long. And the big stacks make sure you know every steal attempt may cost you all your chips to even see the flop.

BTW, my favorite hand was this... I've got a mediocre stack at the final two tables (don't remember chip counts, and it might have been the final table), and slightly smaller stack goes all-in, I go all-in with T-T, and bigger stack goes all-in behind me with A-K. First guy turns over 8-8. All I notice is that another 8 comes on the turn(?). Then I realize that there are four spades on the board, and I'm the only one with a spade in my hand! Sweet.

Thanks again for all the support, everyone. Lloyd, KingMed, MiamiPuck, Hickboy, and a bunch of others. I even had PrincessGlo cheering for me. She must not remember a couple weeks back when I sucked out on her--she raised on the button with A-K and I pushed with A-T. Knocked her out, and she was pissed at the time.

-Z

BTW, at this time, the final two are Beast17 and nemo1gill. Beast has him outchipped 3 to 1.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Fourth Break

[ QUOTE ]
I did get it checked to me in the BB with JJ (two limpers). I was tempted to raise, or even push (each of these guys had about half my chips). But I decided I would either succeed in stealing t2000, or get called and that would probably not be good. So I checked, hoping for a big payday on a set. No such luck--the flop came QKx, and I folded to a potsize bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugggh
Old 12-19-2004, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Fourth Break

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I did get it checked to me in the BB with JJ (two limpers). I was tempted to raise, or even push (each of these guys had about half my chips). But I decided I would either succeed in stealing t2000, or get called and that would probably not be good. So I checked, hoping for a big payday on a set. No such luck--the flop came QKx, and I folded to a potsize bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

ugggh

[/ QUOTE ]

I second those sentiments.
Old 12-19-2004, 01:36 PM

congrats on your finish ZinZan!

About that AJ hand...I know I made a mistake there with 27 left to go.

Here's the hand again (i'm Hickboy)

#Game No : 1320150949
***** Hand History for Game 1320150949 *****
NL Hold'em Trny:7996491 Level:17 Blinds (3000/6000) - Sunday, December 19, 03:59:08 EDT 2004
Table $200K Guaranteed Saturday(152808) Table #3 (Real Money)
Seat 5 is the button
Total number of players : 9
Seat 3: chipdaddy37 ( $49430 )
Seat 4: strawman ( $189502 )
Seat 5: Bigami ( $28984 )
Seat 6: Hickboy ( $42508 )
Seat 8: t2cute4u ( $34177 )
Seat 9: Bernti ( $231093 )
Seat 10: zinzan ( $38960 )
Seat 2: Tfwnesa1layt ( $35672 )
Seat 7: Riverjam ( $177802 )
Trny:7996491 Level:17
Blinds (3000/6000)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hickboy [ Js Ah ]
t2cute4u calls [6000].
Bernti folds.
zinzan folds.
Tfwnesa1layt folds.
chipdaddy37 folds.
strawman folds.
Bigami folds.
Hickboy calls [3000].
Riverjam is all-In.
t2cute4u will be using his time bank for this hand.
t2cute4u folds.
Your time bank will become active in less than 20 seconds. If you do not want it to be used, please act now.
Hickboy is all-In.
** Dealing Flop ** [ 5h, 6s, 3s ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Kh ]
** Dealing River ** [ 7c ]
Hickboy shows [ Js, Ah ] high card ace.
Riverjam shows [ Jd, Jh ] a pair of jacks.
Player Hickboy finished in 27 place and received $1552.8
Riverjam wins 135294 chips from side pot #1 with a pair of jacks.
Riverjam wins 91016 chips from the main pot with a pair of jacks.

---
I don't know how to use the hand converter, so I apologize for that.

I definitely did have some gamble when calling off all of my chips with A J. I thought the all in raise was very suspicisious (i would've expected to not raise as much with a monster). His instant all in screamed a small pair to me (I couldn't see him doing that play with AA KK or QQ, but maybe AK or AQ). I decided to call hoping to go into a coin flip, but he turned over Jacks, arguably the one 'small' pair i'm not in a coin flip with, and I'm out like that.

I had 36k in chips after calling the big blind, and the average stack size at the time was over 60k. I wanted to take some gambles to try to be a force at the final table. Unfortunately, I think I took the wrong time for it.

Do any of you have comments on the hand, and late stage tournament play in general?

I'm still very happy with my 27th place finish. Winning $1.5k isn't too bad of a way to start off winter break...(i'm a college student).
Old 12-19-2004, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I had 36k in chips after calling the big blind, and the average stack size at the time was over 60k. I wanted to take some gambles to try to be a force at the final table. Unfortunately, I think I took the wrong time for it.

Do any of you have comments on the hand, and late stage tournament play in general?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, you're right... you and I were short stacks, and you gotta take a stand at some point. As I mentioned in one my posts, you can never simply limp to the final table--the blinds are too big and the big stacks are too aggressive. You have to take risks.

Just three or four hands after you went out, I called all-in with 99 and managed to double up. A few on the rail questioned the call. But here were my thoughts: folded to Big Stack (t216K) on the Button, who raised to 6K BB to 41K (enough to cover me in the SB as well as the BB); I was a short-stack, looking for an opportunity to double up, and I put him on a wide range of hands. Figured a coinflip, probably, but was very happy to see him turn over J6.

Now, I've been trying to avoid coinflips for all my chips, but the truth is it is almost completely unavoidable in tournaments like these. I lost a few coinflips, but fortunately had my opponent covered each time. Don't recall every winning a coinflip in this tourney when I was the small dog, at least not in the final two or three hours. I was fortunate to win every coinflip when I was covered. Didn't put all my chips in with the worst hand until my final hand (JJ vs. AA). Would have loved just ONE suckout, ay?

Congrats on your finish, Hickboy. Well played.

-Z
Old 12-19-2004, 06:21 PM

I saw your call w/ 99, and you absolutely have to do that in that situation. A raise from a big stack on the button to two short stacks in the blinds could be anything, and at the very worst you're a coinflip to double up (+ a little more due to the other stacks BB.)