Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 11:12 AM

Default Re: Learning Weird Stuff About Yourself

So what was the outcome? Can you guys have kids?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So what was the outcome? Can you guys have kids?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank God, the end of the story is anticlimactic. We had a perfect baby daughter, but she had a higher risk than most having a defect like a cleft palate or something like that. My wife needed to have an amnio anyway, so we knew very early on that she was fine.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I guess I would rather be stuck in Huntsville than Livingston.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a very fond memory of a bar in Huntsville. The Fox or something like that? A college friend of of a friend of mine bartended there. We drove up from Houston to seem him and ended up having a great time. I wonder what ever happened to her...? [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm maybe the only skipped-ahead kid I know who thoroughly enjoyed most of high school. I was a comic legend, I generally had a blast in sports & extracurriculars, frustrating though they often were, and I had some improbable teachers come out of the woodwork of a nondescript Texas public school district to become very positive influences on my life. I felt the need for my share of rebellion, but I'm a natural rebel, so that would have happened anywhere. College was a letdown, in a lot of ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

I loved high school too and got along well with everyone, not being able to drive until i was basically a senior was a bit of a bummer but with enough driving friends it isn't so bad. most people didn't even know.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People who are intellectually ahead, are usually more socially competent as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this from? In my experience, people who are intellectually ahead are more socially conscious and can understand what's going on around them, but are frequently far less socially competent in terms of general interaction.

I'd quite like to see a source if you have one and see how "competence" is defined.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some pretty intelligent people who are not socially conscious at all. I don't even see how the two really fit together.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find intelligent people that are very socially competent and very incompetent. But in general I think intelligent people are given more reason to have confidence in themselves when they're young and this carries into their adult lives. Social skills are often a byproduct of confidence. People tend to pick out the intelligent eccentric freaks and act like they're the norm for some reason. Maybe it makes stupid people feel better about themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say that intelligent people lacked social skills, I said they aren't always necessarily socially conscious. Those are two different things. And I am also not saying just because you are intelligent, that you are not socially conscious. You could be any combination.

craig
Old 12-07-2005, 01:14 PM

Here is the quote of the survery from my textbook. Its more or less what I stated, but slightly off.

"Placing such a [gifted] child with older peers, critics claim may cause her to be socially isolated. Opposing this view is the fact that very bright children often seek the company of older children and adults. According to Terman (1954) one of the earliest leaders in the study of the gifted child, bright children are usually far ahead of their age-mates, not just intellectually, but socially and physically as well. Recent evidence suggests that Terman was probably right! Apparently, bright children are not viewd as"nerds" or rejected by their peers, nor do they confront unusual problems of social adjustment. Richardson and benbow (1990) assessed social development among 1,247 gifted children in accelerated education programs, comparing these young people with a group of gifted peers who were in regular classrooms. All of these children were identified between the ages of 12-14 years and then evaulued for social-emotional adjustment at 18 years and again at 23 years. Among the 18-year-olds, tgere was kuttke evudebce tgat academic acceleration had altereted their sense of selse-esteem; only 5 percent felt that being moved ahead had affected them negatviely. By age 23 years, only 3.3 percent of the students felt that their social-emotional adjustmnet had been hindered by being moved ahead rapidly in school. "

If you guys are interested in the studies themselves, here are the references.

Richardson, T.M., & Benbow, C.P(1990). Long-term effects of acceleration on the socio-emotional adjustment of mathamatically precocious youths. Journal of Education and Psychology, 82, 464-470.

Terman, L. M. (1954). The discovery and encouragement of exceptional talent. American Psychology, 9, 221-230
Old 12-07-2005, 01:37 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

i started kindergarten when i was 4, so i was already a year ahead. somewhere early in grade school i got the we think he's retarded because he's disengaged/we should test him/now we think he should skip grades thing. i talked to somebody about it and declined because i was already the smallest boy in my class. it never actually bothered me, but people would tease me about it. the fact that they would waste time teasing me about it was far more annoying than the actual 'meaning' of the tease, and i didn't want it to get out of hand annoying. it's not a decision i regret. but i've always been accused of being too old for my age, even now and i just turned 28.

but then again, i went from being in honors everything in the 8th grade to getting kicked out of ap classes in high school for screwing around. i graduated hs by the skin of my teeth at 17 (i was a 16 year-old senior for a little while) and wouldn't have done it if it weren't for my girlfriend at the time being worried about it. going to college was never even something i considered. i would probably go to a university if i won the lottery now though.

home life was awful then, i was commuting about a half hour to school because i had moved out of the school district. there's no way i would have taken the trouble to change schools for 1 year, it was lying to my old school or dropping out. i was in the 'work/study program' and only taking 3 easy classes (psychology, french 4, and marketing) a day. i basically went to school around 3 days a week my senior year because i just wouldn't show up on mondays or fridays and changed jobs several times which should have resulted in being expelled (and they knew i wasn't even in the school district) but lots of the administration apparently felt sorry for me because some teachers heard about my living conditions.

so i honestly have no idea what could have happened if i went with a more accellerated path. maybe my own concerns as a kid were unfounded. i'm more or less of the opinion that if you are moderately intelligent and actually do what you want in your career you can't help but be successful (in terms of happiness, money, or whatever blend between the two). i can't say i'm at all disappointed with how things turned out.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:45 PM

My name means "Chief", in some Native American language.

So I got that going for me, which is nice.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in the Army every Native American was called "Chief". Some didn't mind, others did a war dance.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in the Army every Native American was called "Chief". Some didn't mind, others did a war dance.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can understand why they wouldn't like it