Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2005, 05:25 AM

Default Re: Feh

the lack of logic in these things always amazes me. the whole "gee, our major metropolitan area is under attack from aliens. i think it'd be a good idea to go to another major metropolitan area where we'll surely be safe." me? i'm heading for the middle of nowhere.

could the scenes of them hiding in the basement have been any longer? bloody hell. and since when did we establish conflict between 2 characters by having one of them wear a yankees hat and the other one a red sox hat? i must have missed the memo on that one.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:30 AM

Default Re: War of the Worlds

[ QUOTE ]
i did not know that the story was written in 88 and did not know the ending, and i do not think that i am alone there. however if i really cared about knowing what the ending was then i wouldnt have clicked this thread as that is just a bad idea to begin with. i really dont care that much but i do find posting the ending to be very inconsiderate.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's at least 50 years past the date when the ending of 'war of the worlds' is a spoiler. it's only one of the most famous stories in modern literature/film/radio and has been copied (see 'signs') numerous times. if you don't know the ending you really haven't been paying attention since, well, the day you were born. and if somehow you don't already know, then don't click on the damn link.
Old 07-05-2005, 05:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from seeing War of the Worlds. It's a pretty darn good movie. There were a few spots where it had me on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I would rate it 9 out of 10.

There were a few things I didn't like about the movie but I am afraid to post the details here because many have not seen it. I can tell you that I think they could have come up with a better ending for the movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

I felt this movie was actually quite disappointing. The special effects were quite good and a good job was done to really make the movie as *stressful* as possible...including a few haunting scenes that really stuck.

However, what actually happened was basically Tom Cruise running through an obstacle course holding a little girl for like over an hour. Not only that, but the audience doesn't care whether he makes it or doesn't...the way the movie is set up it simply doesn't matter. Whether or not the book ended the way it did, the ending is pretty dumb (not to mention the alien machines as well)...I'd expect much, much, much more of a ridiculously superior alien species.

I'd give this one a 4/10...b/c I'm not sure I even enjoyed it (and I enjoy almost every movie I see) although I felt that because so much of the cinematography and effects were well done I can't go any lower.

Yugoslav
Old 07-05-2005, 05:44 AM

1) I agree, way too much time in the basement.

2) I also agree, we're in a whole different millenium now. Write a new ending. I mean, now that we've been able to send men into space and have figured out about stuff like decontamination processes, it's hard to imagine the aliens wouldn't think to at least boil their human soup or something.

Nonetheless, I thought it was an enjoyable movie-going experience. Lots of stuff blowing up and flying around, that was cool.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Gilmore Girls rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes yes it does. My gf is into it, downloaded every season and made me watch it. Good stuff, Im all caught up. Think Luke and Lor will get married? Who knows, but I eagerly await.

Someone quick, get me a vagina.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1) I agree, way too much time in the basement.

2) I also agree, we're in a whole different millenium now. Write a new ending. I mean, now that we've been able to send men into space and have figured out about stuff like decontamination processes, it's hard to imagine the aliens wouldn't think to at least boil their human soup or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

As stated this was my biggest problem with the movie. Now the movie said they also had their damn machines buried on earth for sometime, wouldnt they have found some way to become immune to the germs they came across here? Or at least where some sort of life-suit?

Movie was cool but at the end when from BAM aliens kicking ass, to BAM next scene their dying. To disjointed there.

Happy ending sucked. Even my gf said the kid probably should have died.
Old 07-05-2005, 06:53 AM

started out really cool - i thought the movie was going to rule. then it dragged on with aliens killing and then it abruptly ends.

i never read the book or heard the radio scare stuff but i had heard that the book was really good. tim robbins character made everybody laugh in the theatre i was in when they first showed him. i give this movie a 5/10 (10 for the first half and 0 for the last half)
Old 07-05-2005, 11:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
it's not as bad as Independance Day (let's write a virus on an Apple for an alien computer code and inject it onto the master computer and start blowing these things apart ONLY when they open up their big guns to fire)

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus, can't you warn people of spoilers?

-d
Old 07-05-2005, 03:35 PM

I give the special effects a 9/10. Very good and the sound was great.

I give the story 3/10, and I'm being generous. The ending was so utterly stupid that I forgot that the rest of the movie was somewhat decent. The daughter always screaming and crying really got on my nerves
Old 07-05-2005, 03:53 PM

I'm definitely in the minority here in that I liked it alot. I enjoyed Cruise's performance, Dakota Fanning didn't get on my nerves (I imagine most eight year olds would be pretty freaked out if Aliens started exterminating humanity...one would expect some hysterics and screaming), and the effects were superb.

The ending didn't really bother me actually. I mean, perhaps the aliens were prepared for the bugs of Earth at whatever point they buried their machines, they just didn't plan on things evolving and changing.

My grade would be A-, 8.5/10. Definitely one of those movies that needs to be seen on a big screen with great sound.

Swede