Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2004, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Yet another lecture

Only because they believed that when the Mashiach arrived, they would re-establish the Kingdom of Israel with him as the King. Would you rather have that?

Absolutely. They can wait forever.
Old 05-06-2004, 04:55 AM

Yeah right. No way in hell are the Palestinians ever going to stop attacking Israel as long as they have bombs and weapons and impressionable youths to indoctrinate. You're dreaming.

So, let them sort it out. Israel started the war, they can finish it without our help. They dont need to keep dragging us into it. As far as I can tell whenever we have asked Israel for restraint there has been another Apache Gunship attack started by Israel.

Well, if we can get them to be not angry at us, we can move into the house with which Islam can live peacefully --- oh I forgot you pick and choose those parts of Islam that lead you to conclude that they will kill you anyway. Delusion must make you happy.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:46 AM

Default Re: The proposed Palestinian National Anthem

Ah, I see, you win so you can gamble at a higher level, some of us win so we can enjoy the winnings while expanding our minds. More to life than poker you know.

Try it, you may be surprised.
Old 05-06-2004, 08:58 AM

Absolutely. They can wait forever.

Not a big fan of Jews, are you? I mean, they're all the same anyway.
Old 05-06-2004, 09:23 AM

As far as I know, sacrifice was nothing more than commemoration of the sacrifice Avraham was willing to make.

After moving to Cana'an, Avraham, whose wife Sarah was infertile, married his servant Hagar, who eventually gave birth to Ishmael (Yishma El - "Hear God"), the father of Islam. Mohammed the Islamic prophet I believe is descended from him, but I'm not sure - it wouldn't suprise me, knowing the way religion went around Mohammed's time, that they merely changed their Son of Choice to separate themselves from the Jews - but that's obviously not an educated opinion. Isaac (Yitzchak - "He laughed") was born to Sarah later on, well over the age of a hundred.

Avram, in the early chapters of Genesis, is asked by God to sacrifice his son, Isaac. Very explicitly, no reason at all is given - leading us to believe that the sacrifice was a test of faith.

As Avram had his son tied to the altar on Mt. Moriah (now in Jerusalem), he raised the knife, when he was suddenly stopped by an Angel who demanded he not harm Isaac. Instead, Abraham sacrificed a ram caught in some weeds, while Isaac grew up to father Jacob (Ya'akov - later renamed "Yisra El" - wrestled with God), who fathered Joseph (Yosef - Mr. Technicolour Dreamcoat himself).

From what I understand, the sacrifice ritual came about to commemorate this event, not to kill innocents (lambs, that is).

Sacrifice stopped with the Roman destruction of Solomon's Temple, and in exile, Prayer replaced sacrifice - prayer mainly for a return from Exile. To Israel. Hence Zionism.

Many prayers in prayer books have a short paragraph at the bottom explaining where the prayer was written - some are almost 2000 year old, and for the most part, the order of the services haven't changed since then.
Old 05-06-2004, 11:44 AM

Sorry, but "getting people not to be angry with us (or me)" has never been one of my priorities. If they are angry with us for absurd reasons that is unacceptable and they should be so told.

Appeasement always encourages further encroachment--this truth has stood the test of time.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:18 PM

Appeasement always encourages further encroachment--this truth has stood the test of time.

Nobody knows this better than the State of Israel.