Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 12:17 PM

Default Re: Name an \"average\" NFL QB

Fwiw, I'm from the midwest, and Troy Aikmain is the most overrated NFL player of the last 20 years. The 3rd string QB Jason Garrett (I think that's his name, the undrafted guy from Dartmouth) threw a way better deep ball than Aikman, and regularly blew up whenever he had to start a game because of injuries (remember that Thanksgiving game against Green Bay?). The Cowboys would of lost the 1994 NFC championship game had not Aikman left the game with an injury allowing a washed up Bernie Kosar to come in and lead the team from behind to victory.

I'll admit, Aikman threw a great swing pass to the rb out of the backfield, and he was the master of hitting a wide open te on a checkdown over the middle. But when it came to throwing the rock more than 15-20 yards downfield, he was BELOW AVERAGE.

What makes Joe Montana one of the alltime greats, if not the greatest, is that he took a subpar Chiefs team, in the twilight of his career, and made them a contender. What makes Troy Aikman one of the alltime average joe's, is that when he didn't have top notch talent around him, his team lost and he sucked.

You could put other average qb's like Neil Lomax, Doug Williams, Ken O'brien, or Kerry Collins, as the starting qb on those Dallas teams and they would of still won at least 3 Super Bowls.