Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 03:42 PM

Default Re: 1 year as an underage player

[ QUOTE ]
*cough*

[ QUOTE ]
1.) No playing more then 2 hours per day

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I won about $4700 in October 4 tabling 2-4 for about 15 hours a week.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-27-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*cough*

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
And [ QUOTE ]
As the month of July wore on, my confidence grew, particularly after one all night session

[/ QUOTE ]
[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 06-27-2005, 10:12 PM

Havne't read all the posts so this might be a repost.

Buy something nice for your parents.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:36 PM

Congrats on your success. I didn't read the responses so sorry if this has been asked, but are you paying for your own college education now that you are making all this money?
Old 06-28-2005, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i am just starting to get into poker seriously and trying to make some money off it. i read your story and thought it was amazing. im similar to you in that i am underage and i enjoy poker. lately i have been putting in 25 at a time and then playing 1-2 and 2-4 tables. i might make it up to 100 by then end of the day but eventually i always go broke. so far i have blown about 300 and i know that i have to change my strategy. im not the greatest player but i have read a few books by sklansky and i do have a pretty good hold on the game. i was wondering if you could give me some advice on the gameplan that you used to be so successful, everything down to how you play certain hands, managing bankroll and how to aviod big losses. i realize that you problably wont want to take time to write alot down, but anythign you can say i would appreciate. thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

first of all, the limits you are playing are way too high for a $25 deposit. if you seriously want to make money playing poker, i first suggest getting a job and saving $300 to put yourself even. playing "to get even" is a large subconscious mistake many people make. you need a clean slate. if you really want to make money, deposit $100 into your favorite poker site, and start playing 50c/$1 tables until you've padded it enough to move up. when you think you have enough to move up, double it. THEN you can actually move up to higher limits.

it sounds to me like you are inevitably "eventually blowing it" because you go on tilt or are too tired to play. win a little bit after an hour? take a break -- watch some tv and make a sandwich. hang out with some friends - poker will be there when you get back rested.
Old 06-28-2005, 03:04 AM

One good reason to attend college is to develop the ability to communicate effectivly. Most that post here, if I go by their writing style or lack there of, couldn't even get hired for the most entry level position at my company. I supervise systems analysts and my biggest gripe with a good portion of recent college grads is their inability to put together coherent sentence structures. Please, all of you college guys, make this a priority while in college. It'll affect your career choices and advancement opprotunities.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
See this attitude is awesome. Realize that poker will always be there to play. You sound intelligent and probably have much more potential than just poker. Explore all your options because you will realize later on that there are things much more satisfying and rewarding than making money. Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand the whole idea of "wow the best part is that he doesn't want to play poker only and doesnt want to go pro!". Would it be a problem if being pro was something he DID want to do? God forbid someone have a job that they love (don't people enjoy playing poker?) and make good money at... i'll be the first to say that i'd much rather be a professional poker player than to graduate college and work a 9--5 job for the government that I absolutely hate like my mother does. If a person likes to play cards, is good at it, and makes money... why should they be ridiculed for making the decision to play that exclusively? Oh and on a side note... playing poker during college is hardly considered wasting time. I consider all the nights that I went out and blew money on getting wasted at crummy frat house parties to be a waste of money and time. I consider my time online making money to be the most productive hobby i've ever picked up. You realize how many hours college students waste playing video games? Madden? Halo? And i've done the whole "go out every night and get shitfaced drunk" in college thing... I definitely wouldn't fault anyone for chosing to make money over that.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*cough*

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As i believe i have mentioned, that limit became reasonable lax, so it;s certainly possible i averaged 2.75 hours/ for a month, but the point is i played well and well extremely well during that month.
Old 06-28-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
See this attitude is awesome. Realize that poker will always be there to play. You sound intelligent and probably have much more potential than just poker. Explore all your options because you will realize later on that there are things much more satisfying and rewarding than making money. Good Luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really don't understand the whole idea of "wow the best part is that he doesn't want to play poker only and doesnt want to go pro!". Would it be a problem if being pro was something he DID want to do? God forbid someone have a job that they love (don't people enjoy playing poker?) and make good money at... i'll be the first to say that i'd much rather be a professional poker player than to graduate college and work a 9--5 job for the government that I absolutely hate like my mother does. If a person likes to play cards, is good at it, and makes money... why should they be ridiculed for making the decision to play that exclusively? Oh and on a side note... playing poker during college is hardly considered wasting time. I consider all the nights that I went out and blew money on getting wasted at crummy frat house parties to be a waste of money and time. I consider my time online making money to be the most productive hobby i've ever picked up. You realize how many hours college students waste playing video games? Madden? Halo? And i've done the whole "go out every night and get shitfaced drunk" in college thing... I definitely wouldn't fault anyone for chosing to make money over that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think what people appreciate, and i could be off base here, is that i don't have enough information or experience to decide what i want to do at this point in my life, and i know that. I want to explore things besides poker, and poker could be fun for the next for five or ten years, but will be be fun for the next 40? I think many people don't keep their options open because in the short term they can make a lot of moeny playing poker, and i want to be sure this isn't me. That said, going pro is clearly the best path for many players, and my hats off to them.