Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Peyton after two quarters...

[ QUOTE ]
Asking why Brady wasn't so great in 2002 is really disingeuous. He was Super Bowl MVP in 2001, in 2002 the Pats were 9-7 and missed the playoffs on the 3rd tie breaker and he was Super Bowl MVP in 2003. I think a lot of NFL quarterbacks would be envious of that record.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kurt Warner has been Superbowl MVP once AND league MVP twice in the last 5 years. Want him?
Old 09-27-2004, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The rule is exactly the same as always. But in response to some serious whining by the Colts, the NFL has diredcted officials to enforce this rule more strictly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly.

A. Do you really think the AFC championship game was well officiated?

B. Do you really think the Indianapolis Colts have some kind of special power that allows them to affect the rules?

The Raiders sure bitched a lot about the tuck rule, but it didn't change.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The rule is exactly the same as always. But in response to some serious whining by the Colts, the NFL has diredcted officials to enforce this rule more strictly.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is silly.

A. Do you really think the AFC championship game was well officiated?

B. Do you really think the Indianapolis Colts have some kind of special power that allows them to affect the rules?

The Raiders sure bitched a lot about the tuck rule, but it didn't change.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whining about the officiating is a losers mentality. Bottom line is the Patriots won 2 Super Bowls in 3 years with a guy that most Patriot fans wouldn't trade for anyone. We see the guy week in and week out for every play and we know how lucky we are have him.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:43 PM

You completely ignored my questions. You said the emphasis on the rules was changed because the Colts whined about the officiating. You responded to my post by saying something along the lines of "Tom Brady is the best." Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I wouldn't want to get rid of a 2-time superbowl winning QB either. But I never said anything about Brady.

Bottom line: the emphasis on the rules was realigned because some impartial observers in the league office realized that there were some ridiculous non-calls in that game. Any number of columnists who are not Colts fans had this reaction to that game. The only columnists I have read that thought that game was called well are Boston folks (read: Bill Simmons).
Old 09-27-2004, 04:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You completely ignored my questions. You said the emphasis on the rules was changed because the Colts whined about the officiating. You responded to my post by saying something along the lines of "Tom Brady is the best." Maybe he is, maybe he isn't. I wouldn't want to get rid of a 2-time superbowl winning QB either. But I never said anything about Brady.

Bottom line: the emphasis on the rules was realigned because some impartial observers in the league office realized that there were some ridiculous non-calls in that game. Any number of columnists who are not Colts fans had this reaction to that game. The only columnists I have read that thought that game was called well are Boston folks (read: Bill Simmons).

[/ QUOTE ]

You're still whining.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:52 PM

Let's say they each play 10 more years and are eligible 5 years after that. That's 15 years from now.

OK, providing neither of them suffers a serious injury before age 33 and we both are still alive when the first one is inducted, you're on for $10,000.

Clarification: TOM Brady & PAYTON Manning.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does Brady have a comeback CLOSE to that?

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't have a comeback when your team is ahead the whole game.

This whole Peyton vs. Brady thing is crazy. Players and teams are measured by one thing and one thing only - championships. Period.

I don't care what Manning does, and what stats he puts up. If he doesn't win the Super Bowl, his career is incomplete. He'll then be relegated to Marino status and not Montana status. Great QB, never won the big one.

And JTrout, you think league MVP means anything? Please, Manning would trade any MVP award for a ring in a nanosecond.

The MVP of the league is Bill Belichek. Somehow he's navigated the salary cap and draft the past few years, and built a championship TEAM that doesn't depend on any one player. In this day and age in the NFL, this is going to prove to be extremely rare.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:16 PM

Meh. When somebody stops addressing my arguments and accuses me of whining, I consider that a point in my favor. Hooray for me.
Old 09-27-2004, 05:40 PM

Bottom line: the emphasis on the rules was realigned because some impartial observers in the league office realized that there were some ridiculous non-calls in that game.

There are only 8 members of the the NFL Competition Committee, the group responsible for this renewed emphasis on illegal contact, wonder if Bill Polian is one?

Actually, there was allegedly complaining from a number of coaches around the league about grabbing and holding according to a survey commissioned by the competition committee as well as a study that showed passing yards declined by 10 yards per game (212 to 202) between 2002 and 2003. I mean 10 yards over such a statistically significant period of time and anonymous complaints by "a number of" coaches, holy cow, I am sure the colts had nothing to do with this very needed rule change!

Old 09-27-2004, 05:50 PM

ok. Then explain to me how they unilaterally perpetuated this nefarious fraud upon the public.