Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2005, 01:07 PM

Default Re: out to dinner, is this a dick move?

Edit: My editting skills suck today....
Old 10-14-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On Tuesday night my g/f took me out to dinner at a nice place. The menu says that if you're under 26 and don't get asked for your ID then you get a free dessert

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of a nice place that had this on the menu - are you sure it wasn't the Outback?
Old 10-14-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
On Tuesday night my g/f took me out to dinner at a nice place. The menu says that if you're under 26 and don't get asked for your ID then you get a free dessert

[/ QUOTE ]

I have never heard of a nice place that had this on the menu - are you sure it wasn't the Outback?

[/ QUOTE ]

Places like this with cheapskate owners put [censored] like this on the menu for 1 of two reasons:

1) they've been busted for serving underaged people in their restaurants

2) they are trying to avoid being busted for underaged drinking.

Now, to answer your question:

I don't eat dessert, the question is moot. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-14-2005, 01:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think you have to tell the waiter first, and ask him if taking the free one screws him.

[/ QUOTE ]

decent answer, but the waiter most likely would never be like "oh crap, yeah it does, do me a solid and don't ask for the desert ok?"

[/ QUOTE ]

you're saying he woudln't answer the question honestly?

[/ QUOTE ]

I should elaborate.

I guess I meant this along the lines that even asking the question is a "dick move". No matter what the answer is, the waiter will have to give you the free desert(s) or else now he is breaking 2 rules. How should he know, that you don't work for the state, or if this is a chain restaurant are a "secret shopper"; who is actually grading you on your service.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares if you are a "secret shopper" or work for the state? If you ask, "Hey, do you have to pay for this and that is all, or may you get fired if I ask for this?". His response should be, "I do/do not have to pay for this and I will/will not possibly be fired. Is this the case for you? Can I see your ID? Would you like your desserts?" Here he has answered your question truthfully and can not get in trouble because he did so.

If he does this, it is totally back on you. If he said he has to pay and/or may get fired, then say "No thanks, be careful next time, by the way I'd like to order 2 McFlurry's please [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] ". If he states that he will in no way get in trouble or have to pay, well then it is up to you to decide whether or not you want it.

If you are a secret shopper or work for the state, he is screwed anyway as really won't matter what his answer to the question is, but he still did not hurt himself any more aswering this way.

If you ask the waiter.. it seems to me that it is a no lose situation for both parties unless the waiter is a complete moran!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right IndieMatty it wasn't a "nice restaurant" I was just lying about that part. Really it was a major dump.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who the feck orders wine at TGI Fridays. Clearly the sign of a major douchemaster. <font color="white"> Just kidding Tyler, all in good fun </font>
Old 10-14-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
by the way I'd like to order 2 McFlurry's please

[/ QUOTE ]

nh
Old 10-14-2005, 01:57 PM

Generally this is not only a dick move but a major self-cockblock in the eyes of whatever woman you're with.

I mean, it is +EV from a monetary standpoint, but you're ruining all comraderie with a person who is in control of what goes into your food when it is brought out of the kitchen.

Then again, I used to be a waiter, and those who have worked in that type of industry will almost 100% think you are a dick here, while those who haven't may be more inclined to agree with your position.
Old 10-14-2005, 02:08 PM

Ask the waiter first. Find out how much trouble he is going to be in. If he says no biggie go for it.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:16 PM

The restaurant was Carlyle in Arlington/Shirlington, Virginia.

I ordered a Caesar salad and a filet mignon and the g/f got the soup of the day and some big salad and we ordered the wine.

I think the total was $86.
Old 10-14-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This thread angers me in a way that shouldn't be possible.

What kind of total lame ass square do you have to be to actually take advantage of this situation?

[/ QUOTE ]

For some reason your posts in this thread are making me laugh alot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably because he keeps saying "square". I guess we can't all be "hep cats" like him, daddy-o.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome post Jake. This had me laughing out loud.