Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2004, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2

The big hands always either win a little or lose a lot - it's what they do. Unless you get lucky enough for someone to have an almost-as-big hand at the same time as you. You win chips from steals and deceptive play, and lucky big blind hands, for the most part.
Old 12-08-2004, 07:36 PM

Default thanks!

benfranklin and AleoMagus
thanks for the contribution. quality stuff. keep it up!
Old 12-10-2004, 11:38 PM

Thanks for the awesome post. Just curious, about what % of hands are good enough to see the flop on in each level. I'm just curious to see how this compares to how I have been playing.

Thanks again.
Old 12-11-2004, 01:01 AM

Beautiful. Absolutely sensational work.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:55 PM

Everytime i play 10/1 PP, everyone plays tight as can be, and it seems like the blinds get 300/600 with 5 players left.. and everyone just hopes to survive, how can you avoid this? I seem to get chips early, but then I play solid-tight and eventually the blinds catch up with me.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:37 PM

A just finished an entire SNG where I got only ONE hand I could call with. I flop percentage was actually sub-10%. I was blinded down to t300, and every one was eliminated except 3 others. I eventually pushed all in when I caught KTs and lost to A8.

I think the reason this works is that by the time you actually call a hand, there's nobody left. This also explains why in all the times i've tried this, I've almost always placed either 3rd or 4th, depending on how aggressive they were that day. I'm always a huge underdog chip wise by the end.
Old 12-14-2004, 03:52 PM

I normally play very few hands until Level 4-5. This is when you need to get aggressive. Start making steals based on stack size, number of player, your position, your hand, and the opponents range of calling hands. I think how you play levels 4-5 until you are in the money are the what seperates the good/average player from the great players. Post some hands and ask what range of hands the veterans would steal with. Figure out how they come to these answers. I think the guide is excellent but you most likely will need to open up your game some more when shorthanded. The guide keeps you out of trouble and is great when first starting out. But once you mastered playing tight in the early stages you need to improve your short-handed play.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A just finished an entire SNG where I got only ONE hand I could call with. I flop percentage was actually sub-10%. I was blinded down to t300, and every one was eliminated except 3 others. I eventually pushed all in when I caught KTs and lost to A8.

I think the reason this works is that by the time you actually call a hand, there's nobody left. This also explains why in all the times i've tried this, I've almost always placed either 3rd or 4th, depending on how aggressive they were that day. I'm always a huge underdog chip wise by the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm currently playing one in which I have yet to play a hand from any position other than the blinds.

Needless to say, half my stack is gone and I'm now a huge underdog.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:51 PM

I play reasonably tight early on but I never find myself getting too low on chips. When it's getting uncomfortable, make your move.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:57 PM

While it's nice that this thread is getting bumped and all, since it is a very nice thread, you people are killing it.

The subtext, if not the real text, of the last series of stupid assed messages in this thread is:

"You made a post that says if I read it and play in a certain way, I should beat the Party 10+1s. In my last 2 games, I've not won! Waaaaah. I want my money back. I get short stacked when I don't play hands! Waaaah."

Oh my god people.

Look at the actual text of the message that I'm posing in reply to.

"I'm currently playing one in which I have yet to play a hand from any position other than the blinds.

Needless to say, half my stack is gone and I'm now a huge underdog."

Is there any meat to that at all? You should be damned ashamed of yourself.

Look: The "beating the Party 10+1 system" works on a very simple premise set.

1) Using this system, you are very unlikely to Be broke in the first 4 players to get broke.
2) Using this system, you will either have lost a few chips due to blinds, or raising and then folding, limping and then folding, in the first couple of levels, or will be up chips due to the few hands you play being better than the average hands that others play.
3) Using this system, you will be amongst the small group of intelligently aggressive players at the Party 10+1 games. Thus, though you will likely be shortish stacked, you will be stealing enough to come back, and build a stack at the right time of the game.
4) When you are called, while stealing, you are often going to have the best hand, since well, these people are stupid for the most part.

There are a variety of reasons that the majority of the people who whine, whine about being too short stacked. They have mostly to do with not going for steals enough, or with enough "gusto."

Let's say you get to the final 6 players 90% of the time. If you start rolling the dice here, you're likely to make money. Since well, you only need to get in the money something less than half the time, and you only need to eliminate half the field to get in.

None of this is to say that there are not other styles, and things that you should know, to play the Party 10+1 game. It's just that the "beating the" thread is showing that EVEN using a very simplistic system, one should be able to beat the game. This system works, and if you are having problems with it a) you have a small sample set b) you are an idiot c) you haven't posted real questions about it enough.

Happy Hunting,

citanul