Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2004, 06:31 AM

Default Re: Hand to Talk About

Hi karlson:

[ QUOTE ]
suppose this is a matter of knowing your opponents, and I guess the 80/160 Bellagio players are more aggressive than this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right. At this level some of the players are way too aggressive.

best wishes,
mason
Old 02-23-2004, 06:37 AM

Hi Mike:

[ QUOTE ]
you like the flop check, others dont. im just saying i dont think it matters much either way EV wise in this case. i usually bet the flop, why let a free card come off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. That's the key to this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
we wouldnt be reading this hand to talk about had the river blanked and bb checked and mason checked and the bb showed his KJ and mason mucked, which is precisely what i suspect wouldve happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if the river blanks, I bet, and the Big Blind shows me KJ and then folds it?
best wishes,

Mason
Old 02-23-2004, 06:40 AM

Hi Mike:

If I could be 100 percent sure that your analysis is right, then checking the flop is clearly the best play. However, my guess is that while there is some chance this will be the case, they won't always think this way.

best wishes,
mason
Old 02-23-2004, 06:41 AM

Hi Piers:

Whenever you try a tricky strategy, there is almost always a downside. It's a risk you take.

best wishes,
Mason
Old 02-23-2004, 06:44 AM

Default Re: Raise the turn?

Hi garland:

I don't agree. The pot is now big enough that winning it on the turn has got to be more profitable, in my opinion, than what you are suggesting.

best wishes,
mason
Old 02-23-2004, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hi Mike:

[ QUOTE ]
you like the flop check, others dont. im just saying i dont think it matters much either way EV wise in this case. i usually bet the flop, why let a free card come off?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree completely. That's the key to this hand.

[ QUOTE ]
we wouldnt be reading this hand to talk about had the river blanked and bb checked and mason checked and the bb showed his KJ and mason mucked, which is precisely what i suspect wouldve happened.

[/ QUOTE ]

But what if the river blanks, I bet, and the Big Blind shows me KJ and then folds it?
best wishes,

Mason

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm with mike on this in that if you don't catch on the river, you get called and lose. He called your turn raise without a diamond. So he doesn't have a diamond, that almost certainly means he has a pair. Barring the unlikely possibility that he's on a straight draw, theres no way he folds a pair on the river if no diamond comes. Now that doesn't mean that your play is without merit in general, but it does mean you picked the wrong person to try it against.
Old 02-23-2004, 12:43 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
i seriously doubt that would happen. if he was going to fold that, he would do it on the turn.
Old 02-23-2004, 01:03 PM

MM,

Absolutey, I may have thought my original post implied that, but I would be ready to bet the river if a blank hits.

Tim
Old 02-23-2004, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Read First

Hi Mason,

By implementing this deception, what kind of mistakes are you expecting to induce from these opponents in the future? Is it correct to assume here that your opponents are very tricky as well?

Thanks,

Kenny
Old 02-23-2004, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Read First

Hi Mason,

Some respsonses said that if a blank fell on the river, you would check along. You suggested you might bet out instead.

As you've explained, this post is about deception. Let's take it a step further. If a blank did fall and you did bet and were now ch/r!! by the BB, how would you handle that?

He could be correctly putting you on your missed draw and making a move of his own. Crying call with A high seems crazy. Raise up the white flag and possibly be outdecepted? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]