Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 05:43 AM

Default Re: Learning Weird Stuff About Yourself

[ QUOTE ]
I have found there is a strong history of mental illness and addiction in my family.

I suspected my immediate family, but apparently some grandparents were institutionalized as well back in the day for psychological/bipolar/depression/mania and all that.

That caught me off guard, but made me feel a bit like all my screwed up life wasn't ENTIRELY my fault - we appear to have a genetic tendency towards certain behaviors...family tradition.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's the same thing with my family. I have relatives a few generations back that were sent away to hospitals, allegedy for TB, but now it is coming to light that most of them were actually put in mental institutions. It also turns out that there is a history of both psychological problems and epliepsy in my family, and since epelectics were treated like mental patients up until the 60's, it is not clear the entire expent of the actually psychological problems that existed, which is a little scary.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:53 AM

I didn't walk til i was 18 months old. I walk fine now. No problem.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:31 AM

When I was 6 this girl showed me her vagina in exchange for her seeing my nutsac. At the time it seemed like a fair trade, but I really think I got the best of it. For whatever reason, I didnt even get a boner! It was probably because I was still confused over the "girls have 3 holes" thing!!
Old 12-07-2005, 06:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
She also said I was speaking in complete sentences before I was a year old. They tried to get me to skip a grade or even two when I was in grade school a few times, and to sign me up for college when I was in high school, but each time my parents wanted none of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

im like this, only my parents chose to skip grades rather than not. made a huge, huge difference.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, I wish it had been that way for me. If I would ever have kids, I'd let them go for it and try to reach the heights of their abilities. I'd be thrilled for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was in the same boat as you Blarg, I'm so so happy that my parents didn't let me skip grades. I didn't really grow up and stop being a complete dick till about 17-18 and while I might have been forced to before then if I'd skipped grades, it wouldn't have been nearly as fun and I doubt I'd be enjoying myself as much as I am now.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People who are intellectually ahead, are usually more socially competent as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this from? In my experience, people who are intellectually ahead are more socially conscious and can understand what's going on around them, but are frequently far less socially competent in terms of general interaction.

I'd quite like to see a source if you have one and see how "competence" is defined.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People who are intellectually ahead, are usually more socially competent as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get this from? In my experience, people who are intellectually ahead are more socially conscious and can understand what's going on around them, but are frequently far less socially competent in terms of general interaction.

I'd quite like to see a source if you have one and see how "competence" is defined.

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some pretty intelligent people who are not socially conscious at all. I don't even see how the two really fit together.

craig
Old 12-07-2005, 08:23 AM

um, they actually can be mutually exclusive, since alot of social situations arent abled to be reasoned out like someone with a science mind would want to...

I have a genius cousin, total [censored].

My iq is near the same as his, however where he is completely engineering minded, Im more the creative type... maybe there's a link there?
Old 12-07-2005, 10:55 AM

I always thought I was the second coming of Jesus Christ. Then I broke down and had sex, and said "f-that".
Old 12-07-2005, 11:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are some pretty intelligent people who are not socially conscious at all. I don't even see how the two really fit together.

craig

[/ QUOTE ]

You can find intelligent people that are very socially competent and very incompetent. But in general I think intelligent people are given more reason to have confidence in themselves when they're young and this carries into their adult lives. Social skills are often a byproduct of confidence. People tend to pick out the intelligent eccentric freaks and act like they're the norm for some reason. Maybe it makes stupid people feel better about themselves.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:09 AM

I was born with a very non-standard "birthmark" on my right cheek. It's not a portwine stain, it actually looks a lot like a scar. I went through gradeschool telling people I was a knife fighter. My other sort-of-cool abnormality is I have a bifid uvula, which means the thing that hangs down at the entrance to my throat is forked. Anyway, I also don't have wisdom teeth and am missing my bottom right molar. Finally, I have extra bones in my ankles and wrists.

Since this had always been the case and nobody had ever made a big deal of it (except dentists over the uvula, because they usually haven't seen one before), I never thought too much of it.

When my wife and I decided to have kids, we went to see a geneticist because my wife has some funky health issues. The geneticist completely ignored my wife and spent the entire time grilling me on my family history, etc. Then, on SATURDAY at 11AM she calls me from her home because she's been thinking about everything I told her and has some more questions and is a little concerned about all my genetic abnormalities.

So, like a moran, I start poking around on the internet. If you lump all my stuff together: missing teeth, bifid uvula, facial deformation, anything online told me that I'm lucky to be functional and should probably be massively developmentally challenged.

So I've got that going for me, which is nice.