Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2005, 12:44 AM

Default Re: Why aren\'t you better?

People in this thread are overrating the learned part of poker IMO. Poker success is a combination of study and natural talent. My weakness, as is many people's, is that I'm not an extreemly gifted poker player. No amount of study would make me the absolute best player at this game, I just wasn't born with it. This is true of many good players, but few are capable of realizing it.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
wow...I just died a little inside. This is what I have to look forward to...thanks slacka, Ill keep working on my game! yikes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah! Think about the weed-eater that you cost me with your spite call last night. Sleep well! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BarefootSonMcSlack
Old 11-29-2005, 12:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My weakness, as is many people's, is that is not being an extreemly gifted poker player. No amount of study would make me the absolute best player at this game, I just wasn't born with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is definitely true. I realized this awhile ago thankfully. I still try and get better, but I have too many other things vying for my time.

I have a realistic view of my skill, and since I know that I'm not good enough to play for $ that really means anything to me, I stick with lower limits and just have a good time. I like keeping poker as a hobby/entertainment.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
wow...I just died a little inside. This is what I have to look forward to...thanks slacka, Ill keep working on my game! yikes

[/ QUOTE ]

Yah! Think about the weed-eater that you cost me with your spite call last night. Sleep well! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BarefootSonMcSlack

[/ QUOTE ]

lol...didnt I have a good hand?

tell son Im sorry...I have some hand me downs if he need em...

[img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2005, 01:21 AM

Because I don't need to be better. 12-16 tabling $55s and $60 turbos is as far as it'll go for me. That said, I could improve on my pushing game a little bit more.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
People in this thread are overrating the learned part of poker IMO. Poker success is a combination of study and natural talent. My weakness, as is many people's, is that I'm not an extreemly gifted poker player. No amount of study would make me the absolute best player at this game, I just wasn't born with it. This is true of many good players, but few are capable of realizing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's usually farther you can go though. not saying that it's important for everyone to get there, but some people have lots more upside than they expose themselves to. most people who lack the ability to be great poker players lack the flexibility of thinking and creativity to do so. this can be worked at, but many are incapable of truly reaching it. it's ok to know you'll never be the best. if you're not going to push yourself to get better, and you're not making a huge pooh load of money, this is a fairly silly hobby.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
balls. the bigger yer balls, the better u do in poker. ok the diff between a great 109er that struggles in the 215s and a great 215er that pwns everything is pretty simple. PERFECT bubble play. and i mean perfect. no mistakes. not occasionally making a -ev shove, occasionally letting someone keep their bb when u dont wanna shove 23o, etc. perfect. perfect early game. this means not folding AQ from the bb on lvl 2 to a SINGLE raise to 90. this means being able to play a flop, turn, and river well. this means implementing cash game strategies to gain chips in the early stages of the stt. thats really all there is to it. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

no one in the world plays perfect poker. no one.

[/ QUOTE ]

there are people that play perfect sng poker. holla

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong. the only way to play perfectly is to know your opps hole cards every single hand. it doesn't happen. you are 100% incorrect.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:46 AM

I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a tendency to play too loosely when I have gone through a prolonged streak of bad variance. This in turn puts my game into a tail spin for a few weeks and kills my earn. I used to blame it off on bad luck, but the more and more hhs that I look over, and have others look at, the more I realize that I have a tilting problem.

Hi. My name is Johnny and I have been tilt free for 10 days.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:47 AM

I'd guess for most people, it's time. I'm under the assumption that the best players (or best in any field) spend 24/7 doing poker. Talent is probably a bigger factor, but one you can't control.
Old 11-29-2005, 01:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd guess for most people, it's time. I'm under the assumption that the best players (or best in any field) spend 24/7 doing poker. Talent is probably a bigger factor, but one you can't control.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, the more I play, the more I autopilot. When I autopilot for a few days in a row, I don't notice the leaks that have sprung. There really needs to be a balance between time playing, time thinking about, and time away from the game. The emotional side of poker is even more important than the theoretical side. Any yahoo can read Theory of Poker, but it takes a special person to realize when he is playing badly.