Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 05:16 PM

Default Re: Scotch Questions from a silly college kid

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There is nothing wrong with blended scotches.

I wouldn't bring one to a tasting since it isn't very exotic.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with ugly chicks either...

No, blends are fine for every day drinking (or you know what I mean... common stuff)... but by and large, they have very little personality.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more and more convinced that ugly chicks are in my future.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I highly recommend starting with the Macallan 12. It is $35 to $40 around here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Any particular reason to go with the Macallan 12 over either the Dalwhinnie 15 or Balvenie 12 I mentioned?

[/ QUOTE ]

The Balvenie 12 has a sherry or port finish. That is one of my favorite styles of scotch, but I think it makes sense to get started with a more basic scotch. The Dalwhinnie is a little peatier than the Macallan or Balvenie. Again, an excellent choice, but I just think the Macallan is sort of like the baseline standard for good scotches and a great way to get into nice single malts.

Then, you can try finishes, peatier stuff, stronger stuff, etc. and figure out what you really enjoy.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, blends are fine for every day drinking (or you know what I mean... common stuff)... but by and large, they have very little personality.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy has never tried scotch, so drinking a blend will be enough to let him figure out whether he likes it and want to try some more. Some of the single malts have very particular qualities and he may pick one that isn't his thing. If he tried some Talisker, for instance, I don't think it would give him a really good idea what scotch is like in general. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Macallan 12 is a great choice for these very reasons.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy has never tried scotch, so drinking a blend will be enough to let him figure out whether he likes it and want to try some more. Some of the single malts have very particular qualities and he may pick one that isn't his thing. If he tried some Talisker, for instance, I don't think it would give him a really good idea what scotch is like in general. Just my opinion.

[/ QUOTE ]

Which is why people are suggesting the easier stuff like Macallen. It'll give him a good idea without babying him or overwhelming him.

But to each their own I suppose.
Old 11-16-2005, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am more and more convinced that ugly chicks are in my future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe if you drank more single malts that would change. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Scotch Tasting (NY/NJ)

[ QUOTE ]
in

[/ QUOTE ]

Convince Shaun to host a home game and I'll bring 3 bottles.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to get in on this, as I'm driving to NY/NJ from Florida pretty soon. Any chance this happens say, the weekend after Thanksgiving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my original post was ill-concieved due to me being at school ~an hour from nyc by car or train ... I'm more than willing to have all you guys down here, but the event would perhaps be more successful in the city.

Are there any ideas of places we could do this, or volunteers willing to step up and host?
Old 11-16-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd love to get in on this, as I'm driving to NY/NJ from Florida pretty soon. Any chance this happens say, the weekend after Thanksgiving?

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my original post was ill-concieved due to me being at school ~an hour from nyc by car or train ... I'm more than willing to have all you guys down here, but the event would perhaps be more successful in the city.

Are there any ideas of places we could do this, or volunteers willing to step up and host?

[/ QUOTE ]

Suck it up and do it in Scully.

Also, I may drop by if you guys take so long getting this together that I'm back for the holidays.

scrub
Old 11-16-2005, 08:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Also, I may drop by if you guys take so long getting this together that I'm back for the holidays.

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-16-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

scrub

[/ QUOTE ]

I smell a Borgata trip. And that cool looking burger place in New Haven.