Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-16-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: respondents to questions

[ QUOTE ]
Sure, Chipotle is McDonalds. Sure, there are better burritos. However, Chipotle still gives consistently good quality. I'm always happy and satisfied when I eat there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Del Taco.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
*** You are ignoring this user ***

[/ QUOTE ]
You know, I like Chipotle, too! Mmmm.... burritos....

[/ QUOTE ]

Chipotle is Macdonalds Dan. Come out west and get real burritos.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I know. I rationalize it by saying that I really never understood how that works - are they owned 100% by McDonald's? Is it just a minority ownership? What is it?

But seriously, don't tell me. I like to live in ignorance.

And being serious really, we have plenty of good Mexican food here outside of Chicago. Quite a bustling immigrant community we have here.

yall make me [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 02:34 AM

the problem with this is that nobody's advice is right or wrong all the time. The great part about not having ratings is tat lots of good debate is started. If somebody already starts off more "right" than somebody else because of a higher rating, the debate will deteriorate and people will lose out on a lot of learning.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
the problem with this is that nobody's advice is right or wrong all the time. The great part about not having ratings is tat lots of good debate is started. If somebody already starts off more "right" than somebody else because of a higher rating, the debate will deteriorate and people will lose out on a lot of learning.

[/ QUOTE ]
Absolutely. I started to type this out, but got distracted by Chipotle. Is it wrong to be hungry for a burrito at 12:30am?

Anyway, even the good experienced posters have faulty logic sometimes. And by sheer dumb luck, I get things right sometimes. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 11-16-2005, 02:42 AM

im not denying that and i think thats one of the best parts of the forum. i think the single time i learned the most on this forum was on a wookie post where basically everyone had argued for a call with about 20 respondents and i believed that it should have been a raise (dunno if anyone else remembers, it was a river with AA haha).... so i basically kept reasoning it out and arguing my case, and eventually quite a few people saw it my way. (note: im not saying i was right or wrong, i think its hard to have definitive answers in poker, but the point was that i had learnt a lot in having to defend what i thought and why i believed a raise was necessary)

but the problem doesnt come in those posts. it comes in the posts where the debate doesnt happen, it ends up with 6 posts, and 3 of those posters where either wrong or more likely just not paying attention and the op walks away with 'blind leading the blind' type info and then spreads that on to other posters down the line....

if there was a way in posts like this where one poster says one thing and a few others say another and its short, it would be useful to know which of the posters had the experience and knowledge to back it up.

i thought of another possible way.... why not have green = mods, blue = regular like now.... but then add a third level of red which wouldnt be given any powers, but could generally be relied on to give better info. i think this would help newbies a lot.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i viewed your website. you mispelled "consistantly".

[/ QUOTE ]

btw, it can be spelled with an e or an a, either is correct.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:49 AM

Red is actually reserved for Admins. There was some talk in MTT and the mod forum to give good posters a special color, but it was decided that there shall be no colors. It's mostly that people don't want an aristocracy, nor do they want the eyesore of lots of colors floating around.

Also, if you can dig it up, I'd like to read (or reread) the post you're talking about. It doesn't ring a bell, and you say it was one of mine, so I hope I didn't miss anything good.

To the OP: Just believe whoever has the highest post count.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:49 AM

I understand what you're saying eskimo, but I just don't see it as practical. For one, who decides, and how do they decide?

I, for one, don't want the burden of being a "respected" poster. I make tons of bad advice here. I get a hit now and then just like everyone else, but no one always has good advice. And there are many new posters who offer some real insight.

Again, I understand where you're coming from, but this is a discussion board, not a place to come and get instant answers. (I know that's not your point, but I think there are some who do come for that.)
Old 11-16-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
im not denying that and i think thats one of the best parts of the forum. i think the single time i learned the most on this forum was on a wookie post where basically everyone had argued for a call with about 20 respondents and i believed that it should have been a raise (dunno if anyone else remembers, it was a river with AA haha).... so i basically kept reasoning it out and arguing my case, and eventually quite a few people saw it my way. (note: im not saying i was right or wrong, i think its hard to have definitive answers in poker, but the point was that i had learnt a lot in having to defend what i thought and why i believed a raise was necessary)

but the problem doesnt come in those posts. it comes in the posts where the debate doesnt happen, it ends up with 6 posts, and 3 of those posters where either wrong or more likely just not paying attention and the op walks away with 'blind leading the blind' type info and then spreads that on to other posters down the line....

if there was a way in posts like this where one poster says one thing and a few others say another and its short, it would be useful to know which of the posters had the experience and knowledge to back it up.

i thought of another possible way.... why not have green = mods, blue = regular like now.... but then add a third level of red which wouldnt be given any powers, but could generally be relied on to give better info. i think this would help newbies a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see the merit of your idea, but it is just too much of a deterrent to new posters and will hinder development. The best solution is for regular posters to just clamp down on stupid advice and try to open up more debate. If you are noticing so much wrong advice, then you should be making a fuss about it.
Closed Thread