Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Best speeches of all-time

How did we miss this one?

What? "Over"? Did you say "over"? Nothing's over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell, no!

-Germans?
-Forget it, he's rolling.

And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the going gets tough...the tough get going! Who's with me?

Let's go! Come on!

Old 11-03-2005, 02:47 PM

Nothing by Hitler yet? A little Churchill, a little MLK, but if we're being honest, Adolf Hitler pwns everybody in the speechmaking department.

WTF is up with Bill Pullman even being mentioned? Jesus.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:55 PM

"Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever. "

Old 11-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Any Given Sunday - Pacino's speech in the last football game. Heres an excerpt.

Tony D'Amato: You find out life's this game of inches, so is football. Because in either game - life or football - the margin for error is so small. I mean, one half a step too late or too early and you don't quite make it. One half second too slow, too fast and you don't quite catch it. The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break of the game, every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone else around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when add up all those inches, that's gonna make the [censored] difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!
Old 11-03-2005, 09:29 PM

I seem to be a little late with my contribution, but here it is, perhaps not the best of all-time, and perhaps not really a "speech," but definitely one of my favorite quotes:

"My style is impetuous. My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart. I want to eat his children. Praise be to Allah!"

He goes from using words such as impetuous and impregnable to speaking of eating Lenox Lewis' children, and praising Allah. [censored] sweet.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Nothing by Hitler yet? A little Churchill, a little MLK, but if we're being honest, Adolf Hitler pwns everybody in the speechmaking department.

WTF is up with Bill Pullman even being mentioned? Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

The content of Hitler's speeches were not what made them great. It was the tone and inflection of his voice combined with his operatic histrionics that made the speeches so amazing.

If you read transcript's of his actual speeches they are quite dry. It was the delivery that was masterful. The way he made them almost musical, starting slowly and then slowly rising to an orgiastic climax.

Hitler admitted that he sometimes acheived sexual climax at the apex of his speeches.

Without a doubt though he is the greatest orator to ever live and his oratory alone was practically the source of all his future political power.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:45 PM

Or as JFK said "In the dark days and darker nights when Britain stood alone -- and most men save Englishmen despaired of England's life -- he mobilized the English language and sent it into battle. The incandescent quality of his words illuminated the courage of his countrymen."
Old 11-03-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Or as JFK said "In the dark days and darker nights when Britain stood alone -- and most men save Englishmen despaired of England's life -- he mobilized the English language and sent it into battle. The incandescent quality of his words illuminated the courage of his countrymen."

[/ QUOTE ]

This raises an interesting question. Is it the syntax of a nation's language that gives it it's power? Is a population that is able to describe solutions to problems more concisely the reason for it's superiority?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Well, I guess if a person never quit when the going got tough, they wouldn't have anything to regret for the rest of their life. Well good luck to you Peter. I'm sure this decision won't haunt you forever. "

[/ QUOTE ]

This seriously made the movie. Hilarious.
Old 11-03-2005, 09:57 PM

BOOKMAN: Well, let me tell you something, funny boy. Y'know that little stamp, the one that says "New York Public Library"? Well that may not mean anything to you, but that means a lot to me. One whole hell of a lot. Sure, go ahead, laugh if you want to. I've seen your type before:

Flashy, making the scene, flaunting convention. Yeah, I know what you're thinking. What's this guy making such a big stink about old library books? Well, let me give you a hint, junior. Maybe we can live without libraries, people like you and me. Maybe. Sure, we're too old to change the world, but what about that kid, sitting down, opening a book, right now, in a branch at the local library and finding drawings of pee-pees and wee-wees on the Cat in the Hat and the Five Chinese Brothers?

Doesn't HE deserve better? Look. If you think this is about overdue fines and missing books, you'd better think again. This is about that kid's right to read a book without getting his mind warped! Or: maybe that turns you on, Seinfeld; maybe that's how y'get your kicks. You and your good-time buddies. Well I got a flash for ya, joy-boy: Party time is over. Y'got seven days, Seinfeld. That is one week!