Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: CALL OR FOLD?!?!?!?!?
CALL!!!! 19 57.58%
FOLD!!! 14 42.42%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-31-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Sig Sauer P226 9mm

Just keep in mind that I reccommend the sub compact solely for carry ... in my mind it is too small for a everyday use unless you have very small hands. You can purchase an extended mag that will give you a little more room for your fingers but if you are really wanting a comfy everyday gun go with the full size version.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:25 PM

"everyday gun"

Don't know why, that just made me laugh. Awesome
Old 10-31-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Breaking news: you don't need a gun. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking news:You don't need oxygen. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking news: no one is out to get you. Ditch the gun and increase your life expectancy. That is all.

[/ QUOTE ]

Breaking news: You're a moron.

Take it to politics, meathead.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The sig is a very good gun. I suggest you go to a gun club and try a bunch out. Guns are like shoes. You need to know which one fits you best.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cool, will do. Mostly I just want to develop into a good marksman, and from my preliminary research the P226 sounds like a very accurate gun to learn on.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to learn marksmanship, learn on a .22. They are very fun and easy to handle guns and the ammo is unbelievably cheap. You can shoot for hours at a completely trivial price. Shooting rimfires is cheap! Shooting regular big cartridges in regular big guns starts to become very expensive very quickly. Even if you eventually get many other guns, the .22 will still be fun, partly because they're so great for training pinpoint accuracy.

Ruger makes some excellent, very accurate .22's, including ones made for competition. There are other good ones around too. The gun magazines and yearly editions usually have write-ups that are well worth reading on all kinds of guns. Definitely worth a browse in a book shop/magazine stand, or the occasional buy.

When or if you get a bigger cartridge gun, don't go too overboard if you want it for home defense. Some of the bigger cartridges go through a lot of walls and can kill a neighbor. You only need enough power to protect yourself, not go on to kill your neighbor's daughter after a hit or miss. I think I've read that 9 mm. is great for this. It doesn't have the highest stopping power on the planet, but loses power quickly after piercig a thing or two.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ive never fired a gun. ever. im looking forward to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've taken a number of people to the range for their first shooting experience ever, and every one has loved it, even the most gun-phobic and shaky of them. It's just plain flat out fun, and a real challenge that's easy to get into. Hard not to, really. I predict a good time! Definitely do it.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:43 PM

I agree with this post ... if you are just learning to shoot or you want to put a lot of rounds through a gun to become more accurate than there is no substitue for an accurate .22 . Many people are awful shots because they learned how to shoot on a big gun and they developed lots of bad habits due to the fact they were trying to avoid the recoil. If you start with a .22 you develop great form and then later when you add the recoil in it wont be any issue at all.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:52 PM

Nice recommendation.

I have the P229 as well. This is a great gun. I agree with you that he should bump up from the 9mm. I like the idea of a 40 caliber better for self-defense though.

The P229 will give the OP a great compromise between a longer barreled gun with a nice sight radius and a smaller gun that can be concealed effectively if needed.

My Sig is extremely reliable and accurate and I have friends that echo this.

Edit: I just noticed that he is looking for practice for accuracy only. This post is primarily addressing a choice for self-defense.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But why do the SEAL's use Sig's if Glocks own so hard?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who cares. Why does LAPD SWAT use a Kimber 1911? Anyhow, you're not an operator. Get a Glock because:

1. They never break. Go find Chuck Taylor's articles about his torture tests on Glocks. This is confirmed by my own experience.

2. They always go bang when you pull the trigger. Again, based on my experience, which includes 75 days of training at Gunsite and other schools, in extremely harsh environments (e.g., 1000 rounds a day for 5 days, in dusty, windswept ranges)

3. The trigger is great. Consistent resistance up to the sear, a clean break, a positive reset point. Much better than the SIG, and easier to learn to shoot.

4. No decocker. Simpler and safer. Unless you train correctly to use a decocker, you can either de-cock in a "tactically unsound" manner, or you can possible reholster the gun in an unsafe condition.

5. Cheaper than SIG
Old 10-31-2005, 03:58 PM

i always get sucked into these gun posts. for target shooting get a target gun. period. for defense get a defensive gun. thats means different things to different people. to me in a handgun that is to protect your life i want one thing. that is for it to fire every time i pull the trigger. and that means no safety to find when i am fumbling with the gun in a situation that is life or death.
that leaves a revolver or a glock in my book.
i carry a glock 19 when i need lots of firepower(rounds). otherwise a revolver. my choice is 357 as its the best manstopper ever made with 125 grain bullets. as the bullets expends its energy inside the body cavity where it does the most good.
i carry a s&w 340 black titanium 357 12 ounce five shot gun in my back pocket for short jaunts.
in the woods its a 44 magnum s&w mountain revolver four ince barrel.
consider laser grips for instant sighting and shooting in the dark. then practice till you can do everything imaginable with your eyes closed including shooting and loading your weapon with either hand.
Old 10-31-2005, 04:00 PM

I've seen a ton on the Glock vs. Sig debate. My recommendation to you would be to handle each gun before purchasing it. My Sig fits my hand like a dream. Glocks are extremely uncomfortable in my hand. I also hate the trigger safety on Glocks

Supporters of each will tell you that his/her favorite is the best, but you just have to decide for yourself. I happen to think Sigs are better - which is why I bought one and passed on the Glock.