Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 08:09 PM

Default Re: Hellmuth at main event

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I've heard he's "about 6'7", which probably means 6'6". I saw him standing next to Huck Seed at the HU championship and Huck edged him out slightly (Huck is said to be 6'7"). Phil Gordon claims to be 6'9", and I think he is the tallest notable player out there.

If Randy Johnson starts to dominate in poker like he can in baseball, then he will hold this title.

BTW, I wonder what the largest height disparity HU at the end of a major tournament has been?

I think in '88 Chan v. Seidel. Chan is like 5'4"?? And Seidel looks to be at least 6'4".

Phil Gordon v. Scott Fischman would look comical.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think Seidel is around 6'9" as well. I saw him walk through Bellagio last week and thought for second that he was Chris Dudley...
Old 10-24-2005, 08:31 PM

Default Re: Why hasn\'t Phil had the living sh*t beat out of him yet

[ QUOTE ]
okay, Im no taking offense to it, and I really dont care that you would call me a donk. All those pros call against tight players with speculative hands because they expect to stack them when they hit. And so do I. My name on here is behemoth because that is my aim name, and I forgot the password to my other account. Im a computer science major, and I only play basketball because of the scholarship.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing speculative hands is kind of pointless if your moving in preflop.
Old 10-24-2005, 08:49 PM

I agree with Bodie. It seems like two questions are being addressed here, Hellmuth's behavior and his opponent's play. But no matter how badly the opponent played, Hellmuth acted like a whiny 10-year-old. Getting outdrawn, berating the table, then running to his wife and pouting while he forfeited blinds. It seems to me that Hellmuth, while disappointed he was eliminated, would be glad to have these players at the Main Event. You can't have it both ways: You either take on weaker players and know that while there is a pretty good chance you're going to suffer some bad beats, you've also increased your chances of winning a lot more money, or you confine yourself to playing in games where you know what the competition is like, ala the Big Game. Hellmuth's behavior reflected an immature jackass, and I lost any respect I had for him as a person after seeing that.

Compare that with Daniel Negraneau, who played great but was eliminated due to constantly getting outdrawn, or Jennifer Harmon, who while an opponent made a poorly timed speech after hitting a 45-1 shot, lose most of her stack but still kept most of her composure. Hellmuth's amazing talent is no excuse for acting like a horse's rear end.
Old 10-24-2005, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hellmuth complains when someone gets lucky on him, but he says nothing when his A-J hits two pair to save him from being outkicked...if he was the one with A-Q he would have told the "donkey" to know preflop that he was dominated!

[/ QUOTE ]

Blinds 150/300. Stolzmann raises to 1000 with AQo, Phil makes the call with AJs out of one of the blinds (couldn't tell which) and checks in the dark. Calling AJs against a raise out of position isn't completely textbook preflop play, but when you're an expert postflop player you get a little leeway.

Flop comes A65 two hearts. The pot is 2300ish. Phil has checked in the dark, Stolzmann bets 1250, Phil calls. Pretty standard I think from Phil. Stolzmann pushes for 5000 exactly and Hellmuth calls.

Phil got 2/3s of the money in with the best hand, he's cool in my books for that hand.
Old 10-25-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If Randy Johnson starts to dominate in poker like he can in baseball, then he will hold this title.

[/ QUOTE ]

I played with Randy Johnson at Greektown $10-$20. He played almost every hand and went to the river almost always, too. He was a little cold and didnt sign any autographs, either. But it was cool to have him at the table.

-J
Old 10-25-2005, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with Bodie. It seems like two questions are being addressed here, Hellmuth's behavior and his opponent's play. But no matter how badly the opponent played, Hellmuth acted like a whiny 10-year-old. Getting outdrawn, berating the table, then running to his wife and pouting while he forfeited blinds. It seems to me that Hellmuth, while disappointed he was eliminated, would be glad to have these players at the Main Event. You can't have it both ways: You either take on weaker players and know that while there is a pretty good chance you're going to suffer some bad beats, you've also increased your chances of winning a lot more money, or you confine yourself to playing in games where you know what the competition is like, ala the Big Game. Hellmuth's behavior reflected an immature jackass, and I lost any respect I had for him as a person after seeing that.

Compare that with Daniel Negraneau, who played great but was eliminated due to constantly getting outdrawn, or Jennifer Harmon, who while an opponent made a poorly timed speech after hitting a 45-1 shot, lose most of her stack but still kept most of her composure. Hellmuth's amazing talent is no excuse for acting like a horse's rear end.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem with people like you and Mr. Football here. You call with BS and think its funny. Some people actually take this game seriously and me personally I like Phil. I think he is great for the game and honestly I act the same way when someone pulls a [censored] 3 outer or worse from their ass. Its not like Phil is playing terrible but he is getting his money in while a fav most of the time. Hell both guys from the show had no business to play the hands the way they did but thats the donk fest that the main event has become. Best players in the world my ass. It makes me sick when I play these local home games and I see some [censored] tard call an all-in with A6s and flop trip sixes against some guys AK or pocket pair. Luck will always prevail over skill...
Old 10-25-2005, 01:14 AM

Dude, Im tight aggressive, I play conservatively, and only take risks once Im sure I have that image.

I was just saying that pros do it, Im not sure why you're so upset with me, but I think you need to take a breath.
Old 10-25-2005, 04:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats the problem with people like you and Mr. Football here. You call with BS and think its funny. Some people actually take this game seriously and me personally I like Phil. I think he is great for the game and honestly I act the same way when someone pulls a [censored] 3 outer or worse from their ass. Its not like Phil is playing terrible but he is getting his money in while a fav most of the time. Hell both guys from the show had no business to play the hands the way they did but thats the donk fest that the main event has become. Best players in the world my ass. It makes me sick when I play these local home games and I see some [censored] tard call an all-in with A6s and flop trip sixes against some guys AK or pocket pair. Luck will always prevail over skill...

[/ QUOTE ]

I can say with 100% confidence that you're not cut out for poker.
Old 10-25-2005, 05:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but the guy was an idiot. He earlier lost an all-in against a short stack with his JT vs. an underpair and called it a bad beat because his flopped straight lost to a runner-runner full house. Anyone who thinks that the order of the cards after the money goes in makes something a bad beat is an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The guy wasn't even that short stacked. He pushed for like 5000+. Donkey in the small blind called 4000 with JTs
Old 10-25-2005, 05:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I can say with 100% confidence that you're not cut out for poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is the most logical thing I have seen in this entire post. however, that having been said, I would love to have him at my crappy local game.