Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2005, 02:03 AM

Default Re: Jack\'s Track of the Day Thread

PS: I'm taking requests/suggestions for albums to anatomize. PM me if you have an album. I'm mostly sticking to "classics" but I'll deviate and do a really good recent album once in a while.
Old 11-11-2005, 09:39 PM

odd. I tried to PM him but apparently he's ignoring me? I don't think I'd ever heard of this guy before this thread.
Old 11-12-2005, 01:30 PM

Default Rubber Soul - 06 - The Word

Oh man. This song would be so much better as an instrumental. Everything about the music here - the bouncy piano, the dance-punk guitar, the funky bass-line - it's all sublime. Too bad the lyrics are some of the most inane words ever written. Oh well, I guess we can forgive them, given that it's the 60s.

But damn that's some good music.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:37 AM

Default Re: Rubber Soul - 06 - The Word

A classic, minimalist ballad that I’m obligated to post because my friend Michelle reads this thing. Anyway, the song is sparse and beautiful with instrrumentation coming in at just the right time to accentuate the beautiful lyrics. “I love you, I love you, I love you!” McCartney sings.

You’re not too bad yourself, Paul.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:38 AM

Oh yeah, your ass has been on ignore for like a month.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:02 PM

I made a refernce to We Are Scientists in another thread in OOT yesterday and figured I'd post a song. I called them a mix of Bloc Party and Hot Hot Heat and Franz Ferdinand. I think those bands have gotten enough air to not leave any question as to what kind of music you'll hear if you download this song. It leans far more heavily towards Hot Hot Heat and less towards Bloc Party.

Anyway, turn your bass up for this song because between the kick drum and the bass, you'll want to feel this in your feet. Hell, stand up and kick out a couple of riffs on the air guitar. Whatever, just get into the energy of this song. It's hard to get by being an indie/pop-punk band nowadays since everybody's doing it, but give these guys a chance and even if they don't bring anything new to the table, they've obviously got a few great hooks in them.

We Are Scientists - This Scene is Dead
Old 11-14-2005, 12:09 PM

Also, given my experience in my own song of the day thread, this threads are better when you give some criticisms on whether or not you like the song the poster has posted. If you went through the trouble of downloading, and listening, post something here and give the song some more exposure.
Old 11-14-2005, 12:53 PM

I gotta say, I did not like that song at all. There's a new wave of New Wave dancepunk that seems more akin to emo than PIL, and this song seems symptomatic. This is neither funky (Bloq P) nor rockin (Franz F.), it just kinda swoops around melodramatically. Stinky bands like OKGO and ActionAction come to mind, who are trying to piggyback off the success of the Killers rather than kick ass. The Killers managed to wedge Avril Lavigne-hooks into the hi-hat-abusing-rock vein without getting smaltzy or having wack haircuts, but they mostly got lucky and I forsee over-produced duets with Gwen Stefani in their future. For this band’s future: all signs point to Budget Bin.

I’d rather listen to: Moving Units, the Rapture, James White and the Blacks, Candy Machine.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:08 PM

<-- is more emo than he'd like to admit. Not [censored] Dashboard emo though.
Old 11-14-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta say, I did not like that song at all. There's a new wave of New Wave dancepunk that seems more akin to emo than PIL, and this song seems symptomatic. This is neither funky (Bloq P) nor rockin (Franz F.), it just kinda swoops around melodramatically. Stinky bands like OKGO and ActionAction come to mind, who are trying to piggyback off the success of the Killers rather than kick ass. The Killers managed to wedge Avril Lavigne-hooks into the hi-hat-abusing-rock vein without getting smaltzy or having wack haircuts, but they mostly got lucky and I forsee over-produced duets with Gwen Stefani in their future. For this band’s future: all signs point to Budget Bin.

I’d rather listen to: Moving Units, the Rapture, James White and the Blacks, Candy Machine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome analysis.