Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 06:31 PM

Default Re: Gigabet hand in WPT event.

Dan's raise could be a weak made hand like an overpair or AJ or something and have Giga on a draw. He may have the plan to check behind the riv.

-Jason
Old 10-20-2005, 07:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have always wondered about this. This is the second hand posted by Gigabet about a very odd play before the tournament was over. I can't imagine a player would want to reveal his holding on the one hand of the day that is likely to be keeping his opponents up at night wondering what he had. But I can see Gigabet continuing the battle off the table into cyberspace to project an image to setup a play for the following day. Although many of his lines are so counterintuitive to so many, perhaps revealing his actual holding achieves the same purpose.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's posssible. Gigabet's fold and his reasoning behind it make no sense to me. It also seems completely out of character.

Maybe there is something I am missing. I haven't played in that buyin level of tournament, and maybe the normal rules don't apply.

If you want to be paranoid, is there a reason this hand was posted in the sit and forum, when it is obviously more appropriate here or in the WPT forum?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:37 PM

would you have reraised on the flop?
Old 10-20-2005, 07:38 PM

Default Re: another way to look at it

[ QUOTE ]
Anyone put him on Qh9h?? With his stack size and position isn't this a reasonable range and play? Especially if he feels he is against a very aggressive player?? Isn't this the same Dan that tried to push Ivey off a 9 set with 73?

[/ QUOTE ]

Posted this in the STT thread.

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...;o=14&vc=1

I guess since there is only 1 way to make it and the turn raise probably discounts it further even with the extra outs, no one is considering it.

I would still put it in the range though. From what I've seen from Dan's TV play, although he is tight, his bluffs tend to be big ones against aggressive players that are capable of laying down a decent hand.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see Dan raising a flop bet and raising a turn bet all on a move here. Sure its possible, but it just seems highly unlikely.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a showdown with a strongish hand? I've never played against Dan, but I've spoken to two players that have seen him make this type of play with an overpair, one of which was slowplayed preflop in a BB vs. SB battle.

And I agree with Sirio on most counts, especially the way Dan would likely play 33, TT, and JJ.

Given Gigabet's percieved style of play here, and the action on the flop, the only hand I think He's behind in this spot is 44.
Old 10-20-2005, 07:57 PM

Come on, there is no way that Giga played this hand. He probably bet somebody $10k that he could post that hand in the forums and still have a majority of people agree with his laydown.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
harrington always says in his books that he likes to raise for information. I don't see why he can't be raising with J4 on this flop, although perhaps the pot-size bet is a deterrent?

[/ QUOTE ]

This might be assuming too much, but if he knows who Gigabet is, he knows a raise for information with a marginal hand is the worst thing he can possibly do there.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone know if Dan knows who Gigabet is or if he does, does he know Darrell is Gigabet?

I think many assumptions have been made about Dans read just because Gigabet is well known online. I wouldn't know him in a live game.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This might be assuming too much, but if he knows who Gigabet is, he knows a raise for information with a marginal hand is the worst thing he can possibly do there.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2005, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Come on, there is no way that Giga played this hand. He probably bet somebody $10k that he could post that hand in the forums and still have a majority of people agree with his laydown.

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably played the hand, but he probably completed with some junk, missed the flop, and tried to steal it on the flop and turn.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I sort of agree. I remember thinking if just about anybody else posted this fold, all the responses would be...

"YSSCKY" "OMG Worst fold ever" "um, do you want to move up in the money or win?" "move down in limits." etc etc.