Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Is swallowing a load bad for your gums?

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably not for your gums but maybe the sucrose in semen that the sperm use for energy to spin their flagella can be used by bacteria in the mouth as a means to produce glycan (the stuff they use to stick to the teeth) and as a biproduct, acids that cause decay.

-JP

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best serious answer to a bogus question I think I've ever seen on 2+2. Easily POTD. Easily.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 23 and am the proud owner of four impacted wisdom teeth, the left-lower of which has partially erupted.

Let's say I never get these bad boys pulled. What can I expect by way of consequences?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can tell you from experience that if you wait until after 30 to have these bad boys pulled, your recovery time will be over a week. A week on the couch eating percoset sucks donkey butt.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:47 PM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered.

Dear Ask the Dental student,

You people insist on stuffing my mouth full of all sorts of contraptions and then asking me inane questions that require multi-word responses. Is this required or just one of the perks of the job?

Thanks.
Old 10-12-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Ask the Dental student....Q\'s, fears, concerns, hopefully answered.

I could have asked my dentist this, but it keeps slipping my mind:

When injecting a local into the gumline, especially in the uppers, she will tug my lip - is this done to "get a good vein", or is it simply to distract me from the needle going in?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:01 PM

How many dentists say they autoclave their handpieces between each patient, but don't actually do it?
Old 10-12-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is it true Dentists have a very high suicide rate relative to other professions and if so , why is that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both MDs and dentists have high suicide rates, as well as high levels of substance abuse. For MDs I would chalk it up mostly to stress, and the "system" wearing them down. Not sure for dentists, they have a good lifestyle as far as I know.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most people have no idea how hard dental school is (godawful 4 yrs, id give anything to have it as easy as my med student roommate right now)

[/ QUOTE ]

this made me laugh

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too were you serious about this?

If so perhaps you're roommate is just a crappy med student.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Due to a few years of youthful indiscretion, despite my excellent brushing/flossing habits now, my teeth resemble swiss cheese. I have somewhere upwards of 20 fillings. Amazingly, never once has one fallen out, including the flouride-enriched fillings that aren't supposed to last. How long will this good fortune last? Are there any advances short of titanium teeth on the horizon that will return my normal looking, but insanely fragile, mouth to a more lasting state?

[/ QUOTE ]

If by titanium teeth you mean implants. Yes, not on the horizon, are here. Costly, but look good and have had good success rates.

-JP
Old 10-12-2005, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm 23 and am the proud owner of four impacted wisdom teeth, the left-lower of which has partially erupted.

Let's say I never get these bad boys pulled. What can I expect by way of consequences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhm...dont be a pussy. Get it done. Impacted teeth can damage the teeth their adjacent to causing them to have to be worked on. Or they can f' up the basic alignment of your teeth by putting pressure on them. Can become infected or whatever. Im not exactly sure of all the dangerous effects.

-JP
Old 10-12-2005, 11:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dear Ask the Dental student,

You people insist on stuffing my mouth full of all sorts of contraptions and then asking me inane questions that require multi-word responses. Is this required or just one of the perks of the job?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, just our desire to be your friends conflicting with our desire to sufficate you with a bunch of instruments and stuff.

-JP