Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Cheers or Arrested Development
(3) Cheers 125 64.10%
(6) Arrested Development 70 35.90%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-12-2005, 09:56 AM

Default Re: Bragging

If a friend comes right out and asks me, I'll tell him/her. Otherwise I keep my mouth shut. I don't make a huge amount of money, but I make more than 90% of my friends. It gives me a certain amount of pride that I was able to work hard and succeed in my field, but no so much that I want to throw it in my friends' faces.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:26 AM

If you've already heard them say the number, and yours is so much higher like you say, then I wouldn't mention it.

If they ask directly, then just say "it's a little more than John's" or whatever his name is.

If they pry, then just lie and throw out some number they'd at least believe without getting too jealous.

EDIT: And the reason you don't tell them is not because you don't want to hurt their feelings...it's because you don't WANT them to know this information. People will change around you, for better or worse, when they know you are bankin. You don't want to take that risk.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:29 AM

I don't tell anyone my income ever.
Old 10-12-2005, 01:22 PM

If it's revelvant to the conversation I mention it, and given that you're talking about taxes, it might.

If you think your friends will react badly, maybe hold off.

I never get too worked up about this, but maybe that's because my income and that of everybody I work with is a matter of public record and published by some nice soul yearly, so I'm not hiding anything. (nor do I make enough for it to be an issue with friends, but I do make enough more than my staff that it can be a bit weird).
Old 10-12-2005, 01:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
never tell people how much you make

they'll know who to come to when they "need" something

[/ QUOTE ]

SMART MAN

[/ QUOTE ]

These people I would not consider "friends".

Friends are people that I trust enough not to get hung up with money. I trust them to be honest if they need help, but also not to take advantage. Of course, I think it's also fair of them to expect me not plan an event that they can't afford.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I talk about this stuff openly w/ peers/friends who have/make similar amounts of money as me.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
I would never even imagine discussing this sort of stuff with people who make far less than me.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably good advice.
Old 10-12-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
hey diablo

how does one explain to a friend that he doesnt want to eat out every meal because it gets expensive? i prefer buying sandwich stuff, bags of salads, fruit, pasta, and soup from cans from a local health store because its cheaper but my best friend always wants to eat out. hanging out is cool but not when it costs me $600-700/month.

[/ QUOTE ]

just say u cant afford it?? there is no shame in that...even people who make a ton cant afford it. To me, unless u are on the go none stop, its not smart to spend $ on going out to eat ALL the time (its not a question of how much money u have its then just blowing money for NO reason), quite frankly sometimes i crave food that i cook for myself - i guess u could use this as an excuse - u like cooking, ur body is craving it, and it cost less - 3 positives its hard for someone to argue with

[/ QUOTE ]

Say one day you hope to have kids to feed, and you're starting saving now? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]