Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Re: Kid on a leash

[ QUOTE ]
It is our God-given right to bitch about stupid things on an internet message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's my God-given right to call you all self-absorbed assholes for doing so.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It is our God-given right to bitch about stupid things on an internet message board.

[/ QUOTE ]

And it's my God-given right to call you all self-absorbed assholes for doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, you're wrong.

Swede

I honestly dont see what teh uproar is. Do any of you guys who are parents have a child proof gate, blocking off a flight of steps, so the kids dont fall down them? I view the wristaband as basically teh same kind of precautionary measures.

[ QUOTE ]
What position are you in? 2 parent home with a comfortable income? Single parent who can barely get by? I don't know, and I would never criticize the choices that you make as a parent because you know the specifics of your situation and I don't. If I disagreed with the choices that you made as a parent, I would never criticize you for them because I would at least assume that you were making the decision in the best interest of your child.

Say the kid was hyperactive. Granted, the OP said that he didn't appear to be, but I don't think that 30 seconds in a coffee shop is enough time to judge. Now let's say that the woman wasn't just dragging the kid out to get coffee, but was taking him out with her because she had errands to do and couldn't find someone to watch him. Is it so ridiculous to say that maybe the woman realized that she needed a constant hold on the kid, otherwise he'd dart into traffic? And that given the fact that there were things she had to do with the child, it would be nearly impossible to do without the aid of a leash?

[/ QUOTE ]
My kids are being raised in a two-parent home, with a comfortable income, yes. My wife and I have busy schedules, and quite often when one of us has to run out, we have to bring both kids with us. So on a regular basis, I find myself in the scenario you describe -- where I'm in a busy place, out running errands, and want to keep my kids from darting out in traffic. So do I put them on a leash? No -- I hold their hands. Same result -- much different affect. It's worked for 10 years now. More people shoudl try it.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
besides special needs kids

[/ QUOTE ] JK
Old 09-30-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What position are you in? 2 parent home with a comfortable income? Single parent who can barely get by? I don't know, and I would never criticize the choices that you make as a parent because you know the specifics of your situation and I don't. If I disagreed with the choices that you made as a parent, I would never criticize you for them because I would at least assume that you were making the decision in the best interest of your child.

Say the kid was hyperactive. Granted, the OP said that he didn't appear to be, but I don't think that 30 seconds in a coffee shop is enough time to judge. Now let's say that the woman wasn't just dragging the kid out to get coffee, but was taking him out with her because she had errands to do and couldn't find someone to watch him. Is it so ridiculous to say that maybe the woman realized that she needed a constant hold on the kid, otherwise he'd dart into traffic? And that given the fact that there were things she had to do with the child, it would be nearly impossible to do without the aid of a leash?

[/ QUOTE ]
My kids are being raised in a two-parent home, with a comfortable income, yes. My wife and I have busy schedules, and quite often when one of us has to run out, we have to bring both kids with us. So on a regular basis, I find myself in the scenario you describe -- where I'm in a busy place, out running errands, and want to keep my kids from darting out in traffic. So do I put them on a leash? No -- I hold their hands. Same result -- much different affect. It's worked for 10 years now. More people shoudl try it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you are at a mall/home depot/etc, and have your hands full?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So do I put them on a leash? No -- I hold their hands. Same result -- much different affect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, that's exactly what my mom used to do!!!

You guys must have read the same parenting book or something. Who woulda thunk?

Yuppie #1 to Yuppie #2: Hey, remember before leashes, when we actually had to touch the kids?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if you are at a mall/home depot/etc, and have your hands full?

[/ QUOTE ]
Then they hold on to the shopping cart. Either way, they don't leave my sight.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Then they hold on to the shopping cart. Either way, they don't leave my sight.

[/ QUOTE ]

First thing I thought of. And I don't even have kids.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:07 PM

Aye, I am not defending teh lady, but, I think that you ahve to be super-human to be able to not let your mind wander for 5 seconds while you are shopping and taking care of a more than 1 kid. And it really only takes 2 seconds for a kid to dart off somewhere. Honestly, I think my mom was afraid of someone kidnapping us, Ill ask her next time I see her.