Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-13-2005, 06:57 PM

Default Re: BIG PAPI = M V P

lolololololol
Old 09-13-2005, 07:38 PM

So, the fact that A-Rod can play Gold Glove 3B defense, thus saving his team multiple runs by being able to play a position, as well as play it well shouldn't matter at all?

How does this not enter in the world of MVP (not most valuable hitter, most valuable player) voting?
Old 09-13-2005, 07:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So, the fact that A-Rod can play Gold Glove 3B defense, thus saving his team multiple runs by being able to play a position, as well as play it well shouldn't matter at all?

How does this not enter in the world of MVP (not most valuable hitter, most valuable player) voting?

[/ QUOTE ]

preaching to the choir my friend
Old 09-13-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
unFCUKINGreal

I am listenting to the pregame show on EEI to maybe get an update on damon and jerry remy is being interviewed. now as far as TV color guys go, remy is top notch. so imagine the taste in my mouth when he says "the only player in the AL WITH A SHOT to beat ortiz is arod"

a local beat writer (with a MVP vote) then gets on and says him being a DH should in no way affect the MVP voting but understand 'sadly' it will.

WTF???????? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

What are you so confused about?

I completely agree that the race is between Ortiz and ARod. Of course you have to expect the Red Sox color guy to frame it as Ortiz' race to win or lose and of course you have to expect a local beat writer to attempt to drum up support for Ortiz in anticipation of a backlash against DHs for MVP. I wouldn't read into his statement at all, he has been following Ortiz for the whole year and he has watched him perform at a consistently high level the whole season. Would you expect him to come out and say, yeah we all love you Papi, but sorry I'm going to have to vote for the star of our bitter rival because you don't play the field!

Maybe you could explain to me why boston writers and tv guys shouldn't be biased for Ortiz?
Old 09-13-2005, 08:58 PM

Well, they can, and probably should be biased, but it's a very, very bad argument to make. As much as you may love, say, the Steelers, you can't make an argument that Peyton Manning's ability to audible on the fly and make good decisions is worthless for judging who the best QB in the league is.

It doesn't work, and it fails to the point that you look stupider for arguing it.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
unFCUKINGreal

I am listenting to the pregame show on EEI to maybe get an update on damon and jerry remy is being interviewed. now as far as TV color guys go, remy is top notch. so imagine the taste in my mouth when he says "the only player in the AL WITH A SHOT to beat ortiz is arod"

a local beat writer (with a MVP vote) then gets on and says him being a DH should in no way affect the MVP voting but understand 'sadly' it will.

WTF???????? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I completely agree that the race is between Ortiz and ARod. Of course you have to expect the Red Sox color guy to frame it as Ortiz' race to win or lose and of course you have to expect a local beat writer to attempt to drum up support for Ortiz in anticipation of a backlash against DHs for MVP. I wouldn't read into his statement at all, he has been following Ortiz for the whole year and he has watched him perform at a consistently high level the whole season. Would you expect him to come out and say, yeah we all love you Papi, but sorry I'm going to have to vote for the star of our bitter rival because you don't play the field!

Maybe you could explain to me why boston writers and tv guys shouldn't be biased for Ortiz?

[/ QUOTE ]

i am not confused, frustration is a much better word.

also, the media members are paid professionals and should act like that.

also, can we please drop the "ortiz will lose because he doesnt play the field" crap? Arod has had a better offensive season, and not by some trivial amount.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:06 PM

er just curious but what are you using to measure offensive worth sublime?

papi ties in HR, strikes out less

and now trails only by 20 in ops, much of which is accounted for in trailing in avg by 20 points. if the cookie monster can keep hitting like this, his offensive stats will be better than a-rod's no?
Old 09-13-2005, 09:17 PM

eqa

also, the fact that ortiz doesnt play the field and Arod does (also well) isnt trivial. We are not comparing Ortiz to Manny, we are talking about a guy who plays 3rd base, and does so at a well above average level.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arod = MVP

[/ QUOTE ]

he's not gonna win it though if NYY doesn't make the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't you heard the news? According to conventional wisdom in this forum, that shouldn't matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

So would you vote for Ortiz for MVP over A-Rod?

This is why I told you to stick to basketball/football discussions. Your baseball knowledge is lacking.
Old 09-13-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
eqa

also, the fact that ortiz doesnt play the field and Arod does (also well) isnt trivial. We are not comparing Ortiz to Manny, we are talking about a guy who plays 3rd base, and does so at a well above average level.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think that most people underestimate how big the defense gap is between ortiz and arod. not only does arod play the field, he plays it awesomely.

when arod saves a run by making a diving stop into foul territory and making a great throw to first in the 9th, is it any different than ortiz hitting a game tying solo hr in the bottom of the ninth?