Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2005, 07:18 PM

Default Re: Putting Coke in Freezer to cool faster?

[ QUOTE ]
They also tested a bunch of other ways to chill beer in order to find the best method. The best method by far was to use saltwater and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll just walk down to the beach and get some salt water.... or, I could use tap water and put salt in it....
Old 09-09-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
a freezer works because no closed system is fully entropic.

cold molecules create a cushion so to speak around the warm faster moving molecules, eventually they collide and bump around and slow down bcause the cold molecules act as cushions. the cushions acelerate and the effect dissipates throughout the freezer.

the colder the molecules the more akin to a cushion, the warmer (such as in the fridge) are more mobile and move as well. physically, when to moving objects collide, (like a bat and a ball) there are greater force components. i know im mixing these metaphors ,but the force of the movement of the molecules is greater, therefore warmer because they move more when they collide, as oppsoed to the colder ones.

i think this is how it works, but dont quote me.

[/ QUOTE ]
Please don't ever take up any sort of teaching career.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I wasn't commenting on how right/wrong he was, but the terrible explanation of it.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've also witnessed countless arguments over this. The argument even erupted in a senior level engineering mathematics course I was teaching when we were discussing the differential equation governing Newton's Law of Cooling. Be very scared that these people are building your bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't surprise me if they were civil engineers. Don't tell my wife I said that.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They also tested a bunch of other ways to chill beer in order to find the best method. The best method by far was to use saltwater and ice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I'll just walk down to the beach and get some salt water.... or, I could use tap water and put salt in it....

[/ QUOTE ]
BUT TEH S4LT W1LL M3LT TEH ICEEE!!!!#!!2342!!111
Old 09-09-2005, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've also witnessed countless arguments over this. The argument even erupted in a senior level engineering mathematics course I was teaching when we were discussing the differential equation governing Newton's Law of Cooling. Be very scared that these people are building your bridges.

[/ QUOTE ]
It doesn't surprise me if they were civil engineers. Don't tell my wife I said that.

[/ QUOTE ]

The course I taught was for aerospace, civil, electrical and mechanical engineering majors.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Somehow I seem to attract people who love to argue over whether a soda can will in fact get cold quicker if you put it into the freezer instead of the fridge. After having just listened to two of my friends basically scream at each other for almost an hour and not come up with a more nuanced argument than "it does" " it doesn't" I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some science to shut them up.

I'm familliar with google, I did several searches and found nothing of note.

[/ QUOTE ]

The quickest way to cool a drink though is to spin it in ice water. The reason for this is that by spinning the soda in the water you create a turbulent boundary layer around the the outside of the can that promotes more efficient heat transfer. Also by spinning you are promoting mixing of the fluid inside the can which in turn also increases the rate of heat transfer.

As for the freezer argument the soda will cool slightly faster in the freezer mainly because it is in physical contact with frozen objects that transfer heat much more efficiently than air.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I have always thought the two cans will cool at the same rate, based on thermodynamics

[/ QUOTE ]

based on what now?

[/ QUOTE ]
Whoah whoah whoah... don't be quoting like it's me saying that [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

my bad. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 08:03 PM

word of warning -

if your coke FREEZES, esp. in a can, it'll taste like manure - better off getting rid of it -

otherwise, trust me, the colder the environment, the faster the heat transfers out -

when the freezer is too slow in winter, I'll set it out on my balcony - (depending on the temperature, I could probably chill a coke in 5 minutes.

but by the time I went out and got it, I'd wish it was warm so it could warm me back up [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

RB
Old 09-09-2005, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somehow I seem to attract people who love to argue over whether a soda can will in fact get cold quicker if you put it into the freezer instead of the fridge. After having just listened to two of my friends basically scream at each other for almost an hour and not come up with a more nuanced argument than "it does" " it doesn't" I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of some science to shut them up.

I'm familliar with google, I did several searches and found nothing of note.

[/ QUOTE ]

The quickest way to cool a drink though is to spin it in ice water. The reason for this is that by spinning the soda in the water you create a turbulent boundary layer around the the outside of the can that promotes more efficient heat transfer. Also by spinning you are promoting mixing of the fluid inside the can which in turn also increases the rate of heat transfer.

As for the freezer argument the soda will cool slightly faster in the freezer mainly because it is in physical contact with frozen objects that transfer heat much more efficiently than air.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just what I want to doo with my soda.. spin it in ice water so when I open it ... BOOM soda everywhere.. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-09-2005, 08:24 PM

yeah, esp if you like it slushy, stick in it the fridge, and its ready to go, ship it batch!