Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 02:56 AM

Default Re: Smoke Screening The LIE

[ QUOTE ]
Which part of this campaign involved the President promising that federal involvement will overrule state and local governments with no respect for federalism whatsoever? Sure FEMA exists to help with relief efforts, but they are not the first responders. Now people expect them to fullfill a role that they're not supposed to fullfill and do so within an unreasonable time frame under extreme conditions. And then people are shocked and angry when FEMA can't fill out this role 100%.

I really don't get it. It might be part frustration that there are people suffering and/or part of a blame-Bush-first mentality. But you people need to come to grips with the reality that the federal gov't is not geared to work this way and getting upset when it fails to do a role it's not suited for does nothing. It may make it worse, as it will most likely fray what's left of the people involved's nerves and lead to bad decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is the case and scenario Bush envisioned why did Bush spend $375 Billion to make a Homeland Security/FEMA department if they are powerless to react when the local/state governments are completely overwhelmed and screaming for help?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
why did Bush spend $375 Billion to make a Homeland Security/FEMA department if they are powerless to react when the local/state governments are completely overwhelmed and screaming for help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Homeland Security/FEMA are responding, but they are not the designated first responders and should not go crashing willy-nilly into every situation. What part of the federal gov't is not designed to be the first responders don't you understand? It's not their job, nor should it be. If you can find me a claim made by FEMA that they will be taking over all disaster relief management from the get-go, then you'll have me there, but I doubt such a claim exists because that's not FEMA's role.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
why did Bush spend $375 Billion to make a Homeland Security/FEMA department if they are powerless to react when the local/state governments are completely overwhelmed and screaming for help?

[/ QUOTE ]
Homeland Security/FEMA are responding, but they are not the designated first responders and should not go crashing willy-nilly into every situation. What part of the federal gov't is not designed to be the first responders don't you understand? It's not their job, nor should it be. If you can find me a claim made by FEMA that they will be taking over all disaster relief management from the get-go, then you'll have me there, but I doubt such a claim exists because that's not FEMA's role.

[/ QUOTE ]

Man, you are being thoroughly outclassed in this thread. You come across too much as a Bush apologist. You don't have to defend him 100% of the time. You won't lose buddy points if you acknowledge some of his faults. You try too hard.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:25 AM

Whatever you say Antonio. You seem hell-bent on turning this forum into your own personal pissing contest, so I guess I'll let you have your little moment in the spotlight.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So you agree with the critics of the Bush Admin that not enough money was given to First Responders and too much was blown on Homeland Security/FEMA red tape that obviously cannot respond adequetly to sustain life in an emergency?

BTW Did I mention the Bush Administration spent $375B to create this, by your own admission, impotent agency, that is totally useless when the [censored] hits the fan?
Old 09-04-2005, 03:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you agree with the critics of the Bush Admin that not enough money was given to First Responders and too much was blown on Homeland Security/FEMA red tape that obviously cannot respond adequetly to sustain life in an emergency?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm getting a little sick of repeating myself. Responsiblity for funding for the first responders belongs to the state of Louisiana. But I don't know if I'd even concede that it's a money issue. I think it's a management issue. This type of catastrophe was known to exist for years, but a gamble was taken that it wouldn't happen. Now, the city of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana both have disaster relief plans, so it's reasonable to assume that they should have been prepared for such an event. The city plan can be found here and the state plan can be downloaded from here.
Last on the totem pole of responsiblity would be FEMA, as their role seems to be reserves for when the first responders are exhausted. This implies that they are not designed to be the first on the ground and deal with flooded water, trapped refugees, hostile looters, and a police force working on 1/3 the capacity after the other 2/3 up and left. Yet people are hell-bent on laying full blame for any and all suffering at the feet of FEMA when they're not designed to do what they're doing. And these people tend to be liberals (or at least Bush-haters). I see it as cheap partisan opportunism which is on the same level as those looting New Orleans. It's disgusting.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW Did I mention the Bush Administration spent $375B to create this, by your own admission, impotent agency, that is totally useless when the [censored] hits the fan?

[/ QUOTE ]
My mouth is plenty full of my own words, I don't need you trying to add your own. The agency is not impotent but it is severely handicapped in the area of acting as a first responder, which is not their role. So if your point is to harp on FEMA for not responding immediately in perfect fashion, congrats, you'll get no arguement from me.
Old 09-04-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm getting a little sick of repeating myself. Responsiblity for funding for the first responders belongs to the state of Louisiana. But I don't know if I'd even concede that it's a money issue. I think it's a management issue. This type of catastrophe was known to exist for years, but a gamble was taken that it wouldn't happen. Now, the city of New Orleans and the state of Louisiana both have disaster relief plans, so it's reasonable to assume that they should have been prepared for such an event. The city plan can be found here and the state plan can be downloaded from here.
Last on the totem pole of responsiblity would be FEMA, as their role seems to be reserves for when the first responders are exhausted. This implies that they are not designed to be the first on the ground and deal with flooded water, trapped refugees, hostile looters, and a police force working on 1/3 the capacity after the other 2/3 up and left. Yet people are hell-bent on laying full blame for any and all suffering at the feet of FEMA when they're not designed to do what they're doing. And these people tend to be liberals (or at least Bush-haters). I see it as cheap partisan opportunism which is on the same level as those looting New Orleans. It's disgusting.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
My mouth is plenty full of my own words, I don't need you trying to add your own. The agency is not impotent but it is severely handicapped in the area of acting as a first responder, which is not their role. So if your point is to harp on FEMA for not responding immediately in perfect fashion, congrats, you'll get no arguement from me.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait! You forgot to mention who first responders are to be. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]