Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 01:38 PM

Default Re: Folded a set on the flop

You should cap the flop.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How long have YOU been stuck at .5/1 or 1/2? I've been playing 1/2 for less than a month with a decent winrate. I'm about ready to move up to 2/4. So many people here complain about how tough 1/2 is but you flame at other people for how they played their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

With all respect that's due to a player folding a set on the flop, it's not at all clear that you're "about ready" for 2/4. Beating 1/2 for less than a month with a decent winrate doesn't come anywhere close to declaring yourself to be a solid winning player. Maybe you're much better than how you played this hand and this was one of those really off moments. More realistically, based on the depth of your (few) responses here...

You're too tight preflop (12 VPIP), which means that you likely have an under-developed postflop reasoning skills. As an example of this, you're likely a little weak-tight because you fold strong hands because someone *might* draw out on you. A reasonable consequence of this is that you're about to get slaughtered at 2/4. (And a winrate of 1.3 BB/100 at 1/2 *barely* qualifies for "decent".)

It looks like your ego is bloated and your game needs significant work. Good luck at 2/4.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the rest of you assholes, who are saying that it's like folding AA preflop, you can go [censored] yourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is like folding AA preflop...

[ QUOTE ]
How long have YOU been stuck at .5/1 or 1/2?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been... and neither have many of the people who responded to this thread. Even if they do it doesn't make you a better player, many people who play at those limits do so because they choose to, not because they don't have the bankroll for 5/10.

[ QUOTE ]
I've been playing 1/2 for less than a month with a decent winrate. I'm about ready to move up to 2/4. So many people here complain about how tough 1/2 is but you flame at other people for how they played their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a pretty lousy and arrogant attitude. Congrats on your success, but check the ego at the door or don't ask for criticism of your hands. You asked for advice by posting and you got it. Sorry you didn't get the "great laydown" you were apparently expecting.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:49 PM

Default IS this worse than folding AA preflop?

[ QUOTE ]
For the rest of you assholes, who are saying that it's like folding AA preflop, you can go [censored] yourselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's put a little math to this. The "badness" of a play can be measured by the amount of money you lose from it times the number of times you get the chance to make that bad play. Agreed?

Let's say for the sake of argument that incorrectly folding a set on the flop and folding AA preflop will cost you the same amount in the long run, so all we have to figure out is how many times we get the chance to make any particular play.

You're about .5% to get dealt a specific pair preflop.

You're about 6% to get dealt any pocket pair.

You're about 12% that a pocket pair will flop a set.

So, if I'm correct, you're .06 * .12 = .007 (.7%) to have a set on the flop.

Given that it is almost always wrong to fold AA preflop or a set on the flop, it is worse to fold a set on the flop than to fold AA preflop.

Please feel free to correct my math, here.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:59 PM

You're 33% to make a boat or better by river and probably ahead right now.

Gotta stay in
Old 08-31-2005, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For the rest of you assholes, who are saying that it's like folding AA preflop, you can go [censored] yourselves. [ QUOTE ]
It is like folding AA preflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, FWIW, my suspicions were correct, as I was up against top pair, a flush draw, and an open ended straight draw.

[/ QUOTE ]

I made up some hands based on your results and crammed 'em in over at twodimes.

Board is:7s 5s 9d
Hand Equity
---- ------
5c 5h 50.98
Kh 9h 2.32
Td 8d 18.54
As 2s 28.17

And, preflop (same hands):
Hand Equity
---- ------
Ad Ah 50.13
Kc 9c 17.73
Td 8d 18.54
As 2s 12.75

So, in terms of equity, it really is worse than folding AA preflop (but it's close).
Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The consensus seems to be:

[/ QUOTE ]

And jrz gets huge boz-bucks for not posting "general consensus."

The grammar nits of the world thank you.

[/ QUOTE ]

irregardless, you shouldn't fold here.

[/ QUOTE ]

under the circumstances, given the way this was played and the players involved, i agree.

[/ QUOTE ]

you missed my joke [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-31-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As much as I'd like to flame this post I also want to know what the results of the hand were. This is a good lesson for everyone that sees monsters lurking around every corner. Auto cap and only stop on another straight card or another flush card. Either way I'm in this until the river waiting for my boat, you can check/fold then if it's too scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, FWIW, my suspicions were correct, as I was up against top pair, a flush draw, and an open ended straight draw. The flush draw filled up by the river.

For the rest of you, I looked at the odds calculator, and yes, my pot equity was higher than I realized at the time. I won't make that fold in the future, but that's why I posted in the first place. For the rest of you assholes, who are saying that it's like folding AA preflop, you can go [censored] yourselves. How long have YOU been stuck at .5/1 or 1/2? I've been playing 1/2 for less than a month with a decent winrate. I'm about ready to move up to 2/4. So many people here complain about how tough 1/2 is but you flame at other people for how they played their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good luck getting thoughtful replies in the future. Nobody attacked you personally, just your play. Learn to tell the difference before asking for criticism again.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As much as I'd like to flame this post I also want to know what the results of the hand were. This is a good lesson for everyone that sees monsters lurking around every corner. Auto cap and only stop on another straight card or another flush card. Either way I'm in this until the river waiting for my boat, you can check/fold then if it's too scary.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, FWIW, my suspicions were correct, as I was up against top pair, a flush draw, and an open ended straight draw. The flush draw filled up by the river.

For the rest of you, I looked at the odds calculator, and yes, my pot equity was higher than I realized at the time. I won't make that fold in the future, but that's why I posted in the first place. For the rest of you assholes, who are saying that it's like folding AA preflop, you can go [censored] yourselves. How long have YOU been stuck at .5/1 or 1/2? I've been playing 1/2 for less than a month with a decent winrate. I'm about ready to move up to 2/4. So many people here complain about how tough 1/2 is but you flame at other people for how they played their hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brutal critism only improves your game, be grateful of it (it did for me when I posted retarded hands I played) . If you don't like critism from .5/1 and 1/2 players, post your hands in mid-high stakes forum.
Old 08-31-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

so you fold the best hand, that has a pretty solid equity edge, and it happens one of the underdogs draws out, and you made the correct play???

you aren't ready for 2/4, not only that but a lot of the "assholes" are ppl playing 2/4 and higher, that still stop down and post here

you made a shitty fold and got blasted for it, its happened to all of us here, and idiotic comments like this post make it much less likely for you to get advice

[ QUOTE ]
You're too tight preflop (12 VPIP), which means that you likely have an under-developed postflop reasoning skills. As an example of this, you're likely a little weak-tight because you fold strong hands because someone *might* draw out on you. A reasonable consequence of this is that you're about to get slaughtered at 2/4. (And a winrate of 1.3 BB/100 at 1/2 *barely* qualifies for "decent".)

It looks like your ego is bloated and your game needs significant work. Good luck at 2/4

[/ QUOTE ]

he posted his stats?? haha, he's def. not ready for 2/4, normally I'd be helpful but this guy obviously doesn't want help, so I'll pass