Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM

Default Re: well I got arrested

All I'll say about this is this. Lets say tomorrow, someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, robs you blind, rapes whatever they find, etc. The cop who comes to your house says "yep...I saw that guy wandering around in front of your house last night at 3am, looking suspicious. However, thanks to your stirring speech on civil rights, I decided to drive away and look for someone doing something instead. Tough break for you."

Will your reaction to the cop be: "Nice work."?

It takes two seconds to tell a cop "I live right there I'm on my way home". Whats the big freaking deal?

I've never had any trouble with cops simply because I bow and scrape to them like they want. They do tough work, and I appreciate it, and I'm not going to be the idiot who puffs up my chest and says "how dare you talk to me". I don't consider being asked who I am or what I am doing out in the middle of the night a huge imposition.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is absurd. We live in a free society. Tell the cop it is none of his business (but in a polite way). You may still get arrested, but the cop will be violating your constitutional rights and you should win in court.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, cops have the right to stop and question anyone who they think has no business being there or if the situation appears out of the ordinary, like walking in a residential area at 2:00 AM when you don't live there.... It is in every state statutes.
Old 08-05-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Walking through a residential neighborhood in the middle of the night is pretty damn suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you serious?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sadly, I'm sure he is.

My girlfriend got pulled over a few years ago when she was driving home at 2 A.M. A cop had been following her for some time. When she asked why the cop had pulled her over, he told her "You were driving too deliberately, and stopping too long at the last couple of stop signs. It seemed suspicious." She had to sit there in her car and wait while he went back to his car (presumably to run her information through his computer to see if there was any warrants, etc...), before he finally let her go.

So in some cases, the mere act of not acting suspicious is seen as acting suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

2am is drunk driver time. Cops are going to be pulling people over for all kinds of stuff around this time of night. I've been pulled over on my way home from a c*rd room at 2am for headlight out, taillight out, failure to signal a turn, etc. I know that the cop wanted to make sure the dude in the truck wasn't on his way home from the bar, the reasons were excuses.

Your GFs case is TOTALLY different and TOTALLY ridiculous. Did she file a complaint? Write her congressman/woman?

Its a slippery slope
ThisHo
Old 08-05-2005, 01:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Walking through a residential neighborhood in the middle of the night is pretty damn suspicious.

[/ QUOTE ]

I often work till that time and live close enough to work to walk. I will also do my run at that time if I missed it in the morning. They stop me if it is a cop that is not used to me. And they always stop me if it is colder than minus 35 they say it is their job. They tell me they must offer assistance if they think someone’s life is at risk! I tell them as long as I keep moving, and not standing around talking to cops I won't freeze to death. rofl
Old 08-05-2005, 01:24 PM

I think I'm on your ignore list but I'll reply anyway. I like the way you handled the sitiuation. Most ooters would get in a heated debate with the cop, worsen their situation, and the come make a post on oot titled "All cops are a vagina".

Also ,About how many parking tickets are we talking about?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
feel free to disagree with me, but I'm not sure how "jackass" can be inferred from this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's because you're a jackass. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

<font color="white">you really need to loosen up. </font>
Old 08-05-2005, 01:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Rule #1: Don't talk to cops.

Rule #2: Don't talk to cops.

Rule #3: Don't talk to cops.

Get the point?

Police have every right to try to talk to you, but you don't have any obligation to do so unless you are breaking the law. By walking down the street unidentified, you are doing nothing wrong. When they ask to see your ID, politely decline and walk away. They cannot do anything to you. If there was an APB or something out for you, then you might have to talk to them, though I wouldn't anyway. If they want to arrest you, ask them why you're being arrested and then let them, but tell them you want a lawyer first. Realize that police serve a single purpose in this country: to arrest people. They don't enforce justice (that's the court's job), they don't protect people. All they do is arrest people. DON'T TALK TO COPS!

[/ QUOTE ]

so the cops sitting at the donut shop waiting for a call to go and arrest someone are actually doing what they are supposed to?
Old 08-05-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
All I'll say about this is this. Lets say tomorrow, someone breaks into your house in the middle of the night, robs you blind, rapes whatever they find, etc. The cop who comes to your house says "yep...I saw that guy wandering around in front of your house last night at 3am, looking suspicious. However, thanks to your stirring speech on civil rights, I decided to drive away and look for someone doing something instead. Tough break for you."

Will your reaction to the cop be: "Nice work."?

It takes two seconds to tell a cop "I live right there I'm on my way home". Whats the big freaking deal?

I've never had any trouble with cops simply because I bow and scrape to them like they want. They do tough work, and I appreciate it, and I'm not going to be the idiot who puffs up my chest and says "how dare you talk to me". I don't consider being asked who I am or what I am doing out in the middle of the night a huge imposition.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll repeat this just for you.

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

Would I be happy if someone broke into my house? No. Would I blame the cop if it happened? No.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
feel free to disagree with me, but I'm not sure how "jackass" can be inferred from this post.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's because you're a jackass. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
<font color="white">you really need to loosen up. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually chuckled at this BEFORE I read the hidden text... do I pass?

anyhow ... this is actually an interesting thread and you usually amuse me, so I'll try to loosen up.

ThisHo

Speeding tickets?

I thought you were going to be the second dude arrested for abducting a gay sheep.