Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2005, 03:57 PM

Default Re: Best and Worst Days of Your Life as a Sports Fan

[ QUOTE ]
Jim Burt also knocked him out at the Meadowlands in the 1986 playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I should have included that game on my list. Giants 49, 49ers 3. Remember? The game started with Montana to Rice for an apparent TD -- the safety was 3 steps behind -- and then at around the 15-yard line Rice inexplicably fumbles the ball off his leg and through the end zone for a touchback.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That game was very damaging to me as a human being

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

And let's not let Gedman off the hook, the passed ball was ridiculous and critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the fact that the Sox had a 3-0 lead in Game 7?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know I should have included that game on my list. Giants 49, 49ers 3. Remember? The game started with Montana to Rice for an apparent TD -- the safety was 3 steps behind -- and then at around the 15-yard line Rice inexplicably fumbles the ball off his leg and through the end zone for a touchback.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was at the game and I remember that play vividly. One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen. Hard to say it would have made a difference in a 49-3 game, but who knows?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That game was very damaging to me as a human being

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

And let's not let Gedman off the hook, the passed ball was ridiculous and critical.

[/ QUOTE ]

What about the fact that the Sox had a 3-0 lead in Game 7?

[/ QUOTE ]

We already knew the Sox were going to lose it by then. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Best - The Music City Miricle (I saw it live)

[/ QUOTE ]

Holy crap, I forgot about this. I predicted this immediately after the Bills took the lead on the FG. Not the whole miracle, but I immediately said "they will run it back for six" as soon as the kick went through.

My other eerie prediction was walking in my apartment just as Earnhardt was going into the wall and saying to my roommate, "he's dead."
Old 07-29-2005, 04:22 PM

best- 2003 alcs

worst- 2004 alcs

being at david wells' perfect game is up there.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This made me cry (I was 7 and I thought he was dead).

Worst-Game 6, 2002 World Series. Watching the game at the Mandalay Bay, having the greatest time of my life not really believing the Giants are going to win the World Series (I mean for god sakes, Dunston hit a home run). You know the rest of the story, ruined my night.

Second place is last day of the regular season, 1993. Giants lose, finish with 103 wins and out of the playoffs. THE reason the wildcard was introduced.

Best-Tough, these are harder to remember. I'd have to say Montana-Taylor against the Bengals to win the game.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:39 PM

Worst: 1995 Eastern Conference semifinals, Knicks/Pacers, game 7. Patrick Ewing missed the game tying layup at the buzzer. Only time I've ever cried over sports.

Close to worst: 1994 NBA finals, Knicks/Rockets, game 7. Heartbreaking. Just heartbreaking. I was literally yelling at John Starks to make a goddam shot. He didn't listen though.

Close to worst: June 2nd, 1993. Eastern Conference finals, Knicks/Bulls, game 7. Charles Smith misses four consecutive potential game winning layups. I swear he got fouled at least twice.

Best: 1999 Eastern Conference first round, Knicks/Heat, game 5. Allan Houston hits the game winning runner with .8 seconds left. New York becomes only the second 8 seed in NBA history to knock off a 1 seed, and it happened to be against our greatest rivals of that period (outside of Indiana). God I hate Miami.

Close to best: 1999 Eastern Conference finals, Knicks/Pacers, game 4. Larry Johnson converts a game winning 4 point play to give New York control of the series. One of those "holy crap I can't believe that just happened" moments. I was jumping all over the place.

Close to best: 1994, Eastern Semifinals, Knicks/Bulls, game 7. FINALLY! Definitely one of the greatest moments for Knicks fans everywhere.
Old 07-29-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Close to worst: June 2nd, 1993. Eastern Conference finals, Knicks/Bulls, game 7. Charles Smith misses four consecutive potential game winning layups. I swear he got fouled at least twice.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, he didn't. Smith is just soft as charman.

[/ QUOTE ]Close to best: 1994, Eastern Semifinals, Knicks/Bulls, game 7. FINALLY! Definitely one of the greatest moments for Knicks fans everywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did you send a thank you note to Hugh Hollins?
Old 07-29-2005, 04:48 PM

What about Charles Smith against the Bulls? In my opinion that game was more disappointing than Starks in Game 7 against Houston. The Knicks were as good as the Bulls that year and I thought that was the Knicks' best chance to win it all (as long as Jordan was in the league).

Edit: Oh wait, I'm stupid. I see you've got it listed. Never mind.