Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 11:46 PM

Default Re: Is Lance the greatest American athlete of all time?

Funny thing is no one in Europe takes this seriously or even cares.
He's good at what he does but there's no competition in this "sport".
Old 07-25-2005, 03:07 AM

hes a machine in terms of endurance and stuff, but dont let the media make u think anybody gave a [censored] about this guy until he got cancer and dont let them make u think anyone will give a [censored] for next years tour de france. cycling sucks.
Old 07-25-2005, 04:45 AM

According to Wall Street Journal:

One of the most remarkable physical specimens in the world is the great bicyclist Lance Armstrong. Armstrong's heart is 20% larger than a normal person's, and his body produces one-third less lactic acid than do the bodies of other top cyclists. He can also send oxygen from the lungs to his leg muscles at a genetically freakish rate*. It's thought that each one of these physical attributes exists in only a few hundred people on earth. Walker quotes one doctor, who says of Armstrong that, in terms of his physical capabilities, "He's probably one in a billion."

* - added in, 'cuz I read it in the paper but it wasnt cited in the above selection.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]

One of the most remarkable physical specimens in the world is the great bicyclist Lance Armstrong. Armstrong's heart is 20% larger than a normal person's, and his body produces one-third less lactic acid than do the bodies of other top cyclists. He can also send oxygen from the lungs to his leg muscles at a genetically freakish rate*. It's thought that each one of these physical attributes exists in only a few hundred people on earth. Walker quotes one doctor, who says of Armstrong that, in terms of his physical capabilities, "He's probably one in a billion."

* - added in, 'cuz I read it in the paper but it wasnt cited in the above selection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that too. Pretty interesting. I think I remember reading something about Prefontaine that he had those same freakish characterisitcs. It kinda makes you wonder how he'd have done as a cyclist, especially since he really wan't built to run.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 AM

Ali
Jim Thorpe
Jim Brown
Willie Mays
Old 07-25-2005, 11:13 AM

I was wondering how long this thread would last without someone mentioning Ali.

He would be my pick.
Old 07-25-2005, 11:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]

He would be my pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a great fighter, but wouldn't even make my top 10 for great athletes.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I read that too. Pretty interesting. I think I remember reading something about Prefontaine that he had those same freakish characterisitcs. It kinda makes you wonder how he'd have done as a cyclist, especially since he really wan't built to run.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to go back a few years, there were a lot of stories about Miguel Indurain's freakishness. I seem to remember something about a resting pulse of 27.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

He would be my pick.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was a great fighter, but wouldn't even make my top 10 for great athletes.

[/ QUOTE ]He definitely makes my top ten because of the sheer toughness and physical strength/endurance needed to be a heavyweight boxer. A few years ago, ESPN.com rated boxing as the hardest overall sport.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to go back a few years, there were a lot of stories about Miguel Indurain's freakishness. I seem to remember something about a resting pulse of 27.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's just scary. He better not sit still too long or it may just stop altogether. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

What about Yiannis Kouros, an ultrarunner? Not American, but talk about domination. He has over 150 world records, including running over 1000 km in 6 days and over 1000 miles in 10 days. That's just crazy talk.