Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Pittsburgh Penguins get first pick

[ QUOTE ]
You're being irrational once again...

[/ QUOTE ]

not at all... I am very rarely irrational and this is certainly not one of those times.

[ QUOTE ]
Shootouts have been deciding hockey games for years. Find me one instance where a coin-flip decided a game and I'll consider your point.

[/ QUOTE ]

You tell me how shootouts are significantly similar to playing hockey and I will consider your point.
Old 07-24-2005, 11:58 PM

The game cannot determine a winner every night within logical confines.

Ties suck.

Fine, it's an artificial result. And while you're crowing about artificial results, and this doesn't end the game right, etc., I'll actually be enjoying myself. So you can have your argument, you won it after all - shootouts aren't hockey, fine - but they're a lot more exciting than a tie, and they're not so far different from the game of hockey that I have a serious problem with it.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:23 AM

As long as overtime stays untouched for the playoffs, shootouts are not a problem with me. The Leafs are not going to be very good this year though [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-26-2005, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Shoot-outs are not hockey. That is all there is to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

If it's important enough to have non-tie results, then it's important enough to do right. Deciding the result of a hockey game based on something that isn't hockey is not doing it right.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I said in the other thread, it's dirty but necessary. The NHL is a damaged product and needs something like this to get its stars' faces on tv and drum up interest in the USA.
Old 07-26-2005, 02:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Play the game to completion or don't play it at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's impossible during the regular season. Hockey is a hell of a lot more fatiguing than basketball and baseball, and sudden death games can go 3 or more extra periods sometimes. Even one of those would destroy a team with a back-to-back or a long road trip. That doesn't really happen in any other sport, except soccer, where they...duh duh duh dahhhhh...go to penalty kicks.

Edit: As I read on, I saw that most of my points were already addressed. Iggy, you're bang on. No one who understands hockey can argue that regular season games should be played to completion. Razor, if ties must be eliminated, what do you propose that is practical?
Old 07-26-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They should be exciting to watch. There will probably be some sweet highlights too.

Also, it's just the regular season, who cares? They get their point for tying in regulation.
Old 07-26-2005, 09:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]

*crosses fingers* With Marc-Andre Fleury as well, we might put together a power house. Hopefully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. Even still don't worry Fleury and Cosbey will mostlikely be traded away in a few years any was because they will become to expensive.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Pittsburgh, when having a winning team, is just as big of a hockey market as anywhere else other than MAYBE New York and Montreal.

[/ QUOTE ]

By far the funniest thing said in this thread.

Pittsburg is easily in the bottom 25% of marketable cities in hockey. In the last five years they have easily had one of the lowest overall team salaries in hockey. Basically they are cheap.

[ QUOTE ]

Now with the Crosby pickup and it looks like the Pens will be buyers once FA market opens up, they won back my patronage because it looks like they're going to try to be competitive and not just put 18 bums on the ice just to put more money in Lemieux's pocket. They have no excuses now...

[/ QUOTE ]

Buyers in the Free Agent market? hahaha the jokes keep on coming.

I can picture it now the Pens new roster:

Lemieux, Cosbey, Recchi and ... and ... hmmmm .... 17 other people no one ever heard of.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They should be exciting to watch. There will probably be some sweet highlights too.

Also, it's just the regular season, who cares? They get their point for tying in regulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

And teams that win in regulation get screwed.
Old 07-26-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No one who understands hockey can argue that regular season games should be played to completion.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we abandon the sport we are playing at the end of the designated amount of playing time and cobble together some sort of competition that bares little resemblance to the game that was supposed to be played?

[ QUOTE ]
Razor, if ties must be eliminated, what do you propose that is practical?

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't think of a practical way to eliminate ties that guarrantees there won't be a 2 or 3 or more periods of OT while still maintaining the integrity of the game.

We can either accept ties as a less than satisfactory result made necessary by the nature of the game and schedule or we can determine a winner artificially.

I think determining a winner artificially is an abomination... an abomination made exceedingly worse by the league not appropriately rewarding winners in regulation.

If ties must be broken my solution would be...

3pts for a regulation win

-this will encourge teams to try to win in regulation rather than settling for the single point and going for the win in OT. In addition, it rewards regulation winners appropriately

Play OT 4 on 4 until there is a winner.

2pts for a OT win

1pt for an OT loss

it is impractical but at least it doesn't destroy the integrity of the game.

An alternative that is a little more practical but doesn't guarrantee the elimination of all ties would be to play one period of OT 4 on 4 and if there is still no winner then settle for a tie.