Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Wrong again.

Dar al-Sulh

[ QUOTE ]
Dar al-Sulh (“house of treaty”) is a place that is not under Muslim control, but that has friendly relations with Islamic territories. In Islamic tradition, the precedent for Dar al-Sulh is a treaty that the Prophet Muhammad entered into with the Christian city state of Najran.

[/ QUOTE ]

Various houses in Koran
Another set of classifications

Like I said in reference to your post on the two houses:

[ QUOTE ]
THis post is an excellent example of half truths presented earnestly by those who have an understanding by reading too much propaganda.

[/ QUOTE ]

er Yes, Yes, Yes.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Still wrong-o

Comparing quotations from religious versus is like a whizzing contest.

I concede that sheetwind can whizz further.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For analysis of causes of terrorism, consider Islam like the backpack.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really think I'm begining to get it. I'll bet you also believe that people don't kill -- guns do.
Old 07-16-2005, 04:44 PM

I think you got the analogy backward.

I say that people kill not the tools -- not the guns, the backpacks or Islam. Understand the emotions and reasons for those emotions of the people.

Extremist interpretations of Islam, backpacks and guns are not the tools of terrorists war against us.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For analysis of causes of terrorism, consider Islam like the backpack.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this is the case? Do the instruction manuals for backpacks have suggested uses like hauling explosives to your enemies?

I understand that you think that Islam is just a tool used by extremists, but why do you think it is the current tool of choice?

There must be something intinsic to Islam that allows for irrational and violent behavior to be brought to the fore more easily than without Islam.

What other explanation can you offer for the prevalence of Muslims among terrorist groups? Clearly they make up the largest portion of those engaged in terrorism.
Old 07-16-2005, 05:32 PM

Was there something intrinsic about catholics and protestants that led the IRA led violence? Is there something intrinsic about Hindus that led to the Tamil Tiger? Is there something intrinsic about Judaism than drove the Israeli terrorists (lets just talk about the time of the King David bombins and not the current Israeli led terrorism, to keep the thread clean)? Is thare something about Christianity that led Hitler to rid his lands of heathens?

THe underlying causes of each was not the religion. In some cases religion was used to whip up hysteria in the troops.

So, it is the tool of choice because that is the religion practiced there. It is the tool of choice because Islamic people (moderates and extremists) believe (rightly I think) that Islam is under attack.

The more we make Islam the scape goat the more we drive those on the moderate fringes into the arms of the extremists to be used as fodder.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The more we make Islam the scape goat the more we drive those on the moderate fringes into the arms of the extremists to be used as fodder.

[/ QUOTE ]

The more time it takes for what you call peaceful Islam to meaningfully crack down on fundamentalist terrorists, the weaker your position will become.
Old 07-16-2005, 11:04 PM

Certainly Islamic organizations in England have extended a helping hand to the police.

However, we make it that much harder by doing dumb things that continue to hurt the Arab and Muslim societies (specially in the middle east). We attack a country causing much death and pain; we continue to support represssive middle eastern regimes like Saudi; we continue to allow Israel to run rough shod over 3 million palestinian muslims with our active support; we continue to refer the Iran as the Axis of Evil; we talk tough with Syria about interferring in Iraq while we interfere in Iraq; we exclude Turkey from the EU; the list of grievances is long.

Our response to the grievance is basically "up yours -- its not our problem", well that sets the stage for the fundamentalists. We essentially built the power base for Iranian Ayatollahs by training and supporting SAVAK and the Shah -- which directly led to the Embassy fiasco in 79.

Is it all very surprising the fundamentalist mullah's messages fall on easily moldable ears?
Old 07-16-2005, 11:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, we make it that much harder by doing dumb things that continue to hurt the Arab and Muslim societies (specially in the middle east). We attack a country causing much death and pain; we continue to support represssive middle eastern regimes like Saudi; we continue to allow Israel to run rough shod over 3 million palestinian muslims with our active support; we continue to refer the Iran as the Axis of Evil; we talk tough with Syria about interferring in Iraq while we interfere in Iraq; we exclude Turkey from the EU; the list of grievances is long.

Our response to the grievance is basically "up yours -- its not our problem", well that sets the stage for the fundamentalists. We essentially built the power base for Iranian Ayatollahs by training and supporting SAVAK and the Shah -- which directly led to the Embassy fiasco in 79.

Is it all very surprising the fundamentalist mullah's messages fall on easily moldable ears?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could just as easily be writing this about women's fashion designers and sex offenders. It's not their fault, it's someone else's. They were driven to it by what everyone else does.

This is the same thing as blaming fast food restaurants for making people fat and gun manufacturers for violent crime. The bottom line is that people make choices and those choices have consequences.

If the Islamic world does not see terrorism as a viable option, then it will become apparent very soon. Their failure to act as their understanding of the situation improves will be very telling.

By the way, do you think that the US has done anything good for the world?
Old 07-17-2005, 09:19 AM

Default Re: A different twist

[ QUOTE ]
Multiple cultures exist on the globe and will continue to do so. Many of the cultures will claim moral superiority. What is most dangerous? The cultures blending together or staying on eachothers turf?

I think blending is healthier,

[/ QUOTE ]

There's another word for blending and it's called assimilation which is in conflict with multiculturalism in my mind. The lines are blurry no doubt though. The meanings of the words are not the same for all.