Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Don\'t Use Prophecy!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

The serious data miners can't be stopped by shutting down the well-known commerical point-and-click mining programs anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting point, but I'm not sure that Party cares about the hardcore types who are willing to write their own routines to do it for them since this is going to be a substantially smaller crew of people. I'd bet that mostly they just want to look like they're hard on activities which could be considered by some as dodgy, and so aiming for the crowds who use the mass-market tools for these purposes is the way to go. Similarly, it would probably be pretty hard to foil a dedicated, intelligent bot programmer, but you can make WinHoldEm difficult to use and boot saabpo, which is probably enough to keep most people happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

If they are concerned with image rather than realities, I think they should consider the consequences of scanning people's computers. I can see a "Party is spyware!" backlash causing more trouble for them than the problem they are trying to "fix."

[ QUOTE ]

As for the solution of temporary anonymization, I don't particularly like it, since it also makes data obtained through unquestionably legal methods (playing against and actually observing players) unusable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that it is impossible for them to distinguish between "unquestionably legal" methods like observation, and data mining. I don't see how they (or anyone, for that matter) can have it both ways.

If you allow observed games you are enabling large scale data mining. Any distinction is unenforceable.

eastbay
Old 07-10-2005, 12:26 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't have to be an easily winnable case to cause big problems for the defendants.

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough.
Old 07-10-2005, 12:44 AM

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't like datamining at all and I think that in a perfect world I'd like to see it stopped.

However, since there seems to be no real way to stop it, I guess we have to live with it.

It it ironic, though, that a very interesting discussion was spawned by a product that is utterly worthless.

As someone who hatred for PokerProphecy is exceeded only by Citanul, I would LMAO if Party Poker simply posted each player's ITM under their name at the table.

Again, I'd like to see datamining of all varieties gotten rid of altogether, but my spiteful side would love to see this as it would cause the immediate death of Poker Prophecy. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-10-2005, 12:49 AM

I think that datamining is fine if you are doing it yourself, but I think the line in the grey area is crossed when you pay a commercial service to provide this info. for you. I'm still split on the issue of PV, and will continue to use it until Party makes a decision on this.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:03 AM

I've just started discussions with Poker Stars support, which for the first couple rounds of emails has been stellarly quick as usual. Basically I've asked them about what their plan for combatting Poker Prophecy is. I don't personally play there or anything, but I thought they deserved some warning.

The first email said basically "there's nothing new about datamining, but the spamming and such is worrisome, i'll forward on to supervisor."

i'm gonna crash for the night, so hopefully i'll have more info in the morning.

or maybe i'll wake up and prophecy will have ceased to exist, who knows.

citanul
Old 07-10-2005, 01:09 AM

The thing I don't really get about this whole backlash by party against 3rd party software is that if they really wanted to stop most of it (although admittedly not prophecy) all they need to do is stop saving HH files to the HD for observed hands.

Without that they is basically no datamining as we know it. There is no legitimate reason to save those HH files anyway.
Old 07-10-2005, 01:17 AM

I'd hate it if they did this. Multitablers don't wanna have to manually record it all, I remember having to do that and it sucked.
Old 07-10-2005, 02:11 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
The thing I don't really get about this whole backlash by party against 3rd party software is that if they really wanted to stop most of it (although admittedly not prophecy) all they need to do is stop saving HH files to the HD for observed hands.

Without that they is basically no datamining as we know it. There is no legitimate reason to save those HH files anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

The whole reason they started this is because there was such a huge influx on their mail servers with people requesting hands. This made the process a lot easier.

Actually, I completely misread your post. You make perfect sense, but I'm too lazy to backspace. No observed hh in hhf files, and no more datamining. Nottom wins.
Old 07-10-2005, 08:25 AM

And they say Skipper f'n Bob is the funniest guy around here
Old 07-10-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The first email said basically "there's nothing new about datamining, but the spamming and such is worrisome, i'll forward on to supervisor."

[/ QUOTE ]

ding ding ding ding ding ding ding
Closed Thread