Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Re: How many men will Michelle Wie beat?

[ QUOTE ]
"Hi, my name is Will Claxton, and I just became the answer to a trivia question."

[/ QUOTE ]
The World: dude, you just got beaten by a girl
WC: but she's 6'2"
The World: Dude, you just got beaten by a girl
WC: But she hits her driver 300 yards straight
The World: Dude, you just got beaten by a girl
WC: but she's one of the top female golfers, regardless of age or tour status
The World: Dude, you just got beaten by a girl...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:37 PM

Also, goodbye Danny Green. Don't let the door hit you...
Old 07-13-2005, 06:42 PM

It's really not fair to this guy. I'm sure he felt a lot more pressue than any of the other players in a tight match.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It's really not fair to this guy. I'm sure he felt a lot more pressue than any of the other players in a tight match.

[/ QUOTE ]
this forum is an extension of OOT, and THERE'S NO CRYING IN OOT!!

kidding. she'd kick my butt up and down the course and have me at dormie 9.

and so would he, for that matter
Old 07-13-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But I am right that she has no business on the mens tour as a 15 year old girl, unless she qualifies for the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Unless you are against sponsor exemptions under any circumstances, it's tough to argue against her presense. Especially since she's far from embarassing herself. She's got as much right to play, maybe more, than Nicklaus in this year's British.
Old 07-14-2005, 12:09 AM

Alright, here's the story. My friend and I were caddies at the Publinx(actually, he caddied, there were too many caddies and I was not one of the chosen few)

We ate breakfast with Michelle Wie, and we saw her stick her hand in some little girl's face(you know "talk to the hand") when she tried to talk to her(the girl was like 8)

She was also a completely arrogant snob when at breakfast.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But I am right that she has no business on the mens tour as a 15 year old girl, unless she qualifies for the event.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Unless you are against sponsor exemptions under any circumstances, it's tough to argue against her presense. Especially since she's far from embarassing herself. She's got as much right to play, maybe more, than Nicklaus in this year's British.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not against sponsors exemptions in all circumstances, but am against her getting constant sponsors exemptions. When she got one in her home town it was OK. If she had won on the LPGA Tour it might be OK for her to get one at the Sony. I think she should qualify though. I mean, how can you argue with her when she qualifies. Like this week, she has said the detractors are full of it because she qualified. She is right, and that is why even she knows the sponsors exemptions are bogus. She can't admit it because she will get more money the minute she turns pro. This is a BJ-Nike-IMG thing I bet. Don't know for sure, but it is just gross to see the tournamnets use a 15 year old for their profit and see a 15 year old amateur use them for future profit.

She has no right to play compared to Nicklaus, and I am not big on Nicklaus playing while he obviously can't compete. Jack is exempt for life on the PGA Tour because of his accomplishments. He earned them under the rules at the time, and even now with the changes that take away the lifetime exemption for US Open and PGA wins Jack would have a lifetime exemption. He is exempt this year because Open Champions enjoy an exemption until 65. Change the rule, fine, but Jack earned his exemption. He beat Palmer, Player, Casper, Trevino, Watson, etc... on many occasions. 70 wins, 18 pro majors, etc... Michelle has not won the US Girls junior.

As I posted last winter, I would really like to see Michelle win a tournament this summer. LPGA tourn, Women's Amateur, etc.... But a win would be nice. Not a nice showing for a 15 year old. Not a commercially driven escapade to see her hit the ball against players she can't beat. A win.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
am not against sponsors exemptions in all circumstances, but am against her getting constant sponsors exemptions

[/ QUOTE ]

3 exemptions in two years isn't exactly constant exemptions.

I just think you are being very inconsistent on this issue. If the sponsors want to put her in so their event makes more money, more power to them. Demanding "a win" when it's her 3rd ever PGA event is silly. A win on the LPGA does no more to validate her for an exemption than anything else IMO. I just don't get how it's a big deal that they give her one when she clearly is competing and obviously *will* make not just one cut but multiple cuts as she gains experience. The fact that she is an amateur makes it even more OK to get the exemptions. If she was a pro, I'd think your argument had more merit (though I'd still disagree).

I just don't see how the exemptions are ok sometimes and not ok others, based on some arbitrary sliding scale. Either everyone has to earn their way in, or they don't - and the sponsors can invite anyone they want. I think you are letting the hype sour you on the whole thing instead of just enjoying the show she is putting on. What she is doing is incredible - cut or no (yet).
Old 07-14-2005, 11:23 AM

I've heard lots of reports of her being a snob. I don't care, she's fun to watch and I'd hit it when she turns 18.

And remember, she's only 15. Show me any popular 15 year old girl who isn't snobby.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:31 AM

She took an exemption on the nationwide tour last year and I think is taking another this year. I think it is important for her development as a player that she wins. She can't win on the PGA Tour. She needs to go win some tournaments. She has not won the girls junior or womens amateur (yet). She has the ability now to win on the LPGA Tour, and as I've said it doesn't bother me that she plays out there now, even though she has not won. But she needs to win something IMO. SHe is learning to put on a show and lose. She needs to learn to win to maximize her ability. Maybe she has so much ability it doesn't matter. maybe she will learn anyway. We'll see. And yes, the hype sours me. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]