Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 02:17 AM

Default Re: Errrrrrr.. Who calls this?

[ QUOTE ]

Quote:

lol!?!?? You know that he improves to three of a kind on the Turn?

hero didn't really improve against villains range of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ja, I could kiss you for making this post. So many people overvalue top trips, not realizing that they are still behind almost any hand that would play back at their original TPTK.

-T
Old 05-26-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So many people overvalue top trips, not realizing that they are still behind almost any hand that would play back at their original TPTK.

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that he didn't, he check-called. Maybe, on the river, villain woke up and realized hero is practically pot-stuck, and decided that if he's calling a push he may as well make one, because, hey, one time in 20 he'll find someone tight enough to lay down AK to his KJs/TT.

Villain is bad enough to minraise preflop, yet somehow you decide he's not one of those "so many" people that overvalue trips? It's nonsense.

This fold makes me ill. If you're so eager to get away from that board, keep the pot small by checking the turn or, I don't know, fold preflop.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:21 PM

I wasn't eager to get away from it. How often do you see people playing this without a boat?
Old 05-27-2005, 12:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wasn't eager to get away from it. How often do you see people playing this without a boat?

[/ QUOTE ]Trips-bad-kicker may be the #1 most misplayed hand in the game. I can't fold TTK for a 1.25 pot bet on the river and, with 100BB stacks, I doubt I fold it period without clear sign that I'm beaten (a very large bet from the opponent would be necessary, but insufficent evidence by itself).

Also, being seen walking away from a pot this large on a relatively unscary board has metagame consequences that could continue to cost you money.

I am a fan of keeping the pot small, though, and of not showing too much strength (I want overpairs, underpairs, and bluffers to stick around, and I want a boat to be worried I'll fold). Checking the turn behind (or betting 1/3 pot) would make the river decisions easier.
Old 05-27-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Trips-bad-kicker may be the #1 most misplayed hand in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't answer my question. And I'm not worried about players trying to bluff me off of strong hands after seeing this.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Trips-bad-kicker may be the #1 most misplayed hand in the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't answer my question.

[/ QUOTE ]

By misplayed, I mean overplayed. If you're asking for hard data, I don't have it. BUT I've seen that hand played like the nuts many times, so any manner in which I could imagine them playing the nuts is fair game.

To a player who doesn't think about what you might hold, slowplaying his three of a kind and springing the trap on the river probably sounds like a brilliant play.