Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: My story

yea me too, but it did make my little 100 dollars I lost feel better.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:30 PM

count me in the jealous camp.

you really are an inspiration to those of us who are just too damn lazy about studying and improving.

Terrific stuff. even though you are the luck-box I also think it's fair to say you have worked for and earned the success you have achieved.

This is really impressive stuff you have accomplished.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:31 PM

Default Re: Inspiring

[ QUOTE ]

So inquiring minds want to where is your season pass going to be next season?

[/ QUOTE ]

If I spent a winter out west, there is a good chance it would be at Alta in Utah. More likely I'll take 5-10 trips out west and maybe one of them stay for a month or something. Goto different places and chase the good snow.

I'd definately be interested in renting a condo out for a bit in tahoe. I've actually never been there, but have heard great things about kwood.

The biggest problem is finding another person who is in to skiing as much as I who has the time/money to do it. I don't wanna do it alone.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:36 PM

A person PM'd me and asked what I've been doing about taxes...

I hired a CPA - which cost $350. She is fantastic help and worth every penny.

I've been paying them (and estimated quarterlies too). There's no way to hide this much money and the penalties are very strong.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:36 PM

BK,

Congratulation on your success! That was a great and very inspiring story, and I also think it's cool that you finished your degree too. Wishing you the best in skiing and playing!!! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-05-2005, 03:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been paying them (and estimated quarterlies too). There's no way to hide this much money and the penalties are very strong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Smartest thing posted in this thread.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I'd definately be interested in renting a condo out for a bit in tahoe. I've actually never been there, but have heard great things about kwood.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wood is a freerider/treerider's paradise. I love that place so, so much. From someone who has done the ski bum thing for a while, you'd love it in Tahoe. And you'd still have great live games to dabble in too...
Old 05-05-2005, 04:26 PM

FANTASTIC POST.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The Wood is a freerider/treerider's paradise. I love that place so, so much. From someone who has done the ski bum thing for a while, you'd love it in Tahoe. And you'd still have great live games to dabble in too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps the softest game I have ever seen was at Harveys in Tahoe. Utterly absurd.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:48 PM

One aspect I forgot to touch on was my parents/family and how they've reacted.

When I made my first 1500 in december, my mom told me I should cash out and quit while ahead. I got to 2800 and she wanted me to cash out like 2000+. Thought it was just a hot streak and it would fall apart (she was right to an extent...but with work could be a long term winner). I think they know I got down to that 700, but I'm not positive. I've always been very open with them about it and it makes them nervous...but I hate running around hiding everything.

We had quite a few arguments. They thought I would fail out of school and just want to play poker and that I was still likely just getting lucky. I remember coming home last spring, saying I was just going to play poker during the summer for money instead of getting a part time job. They would have no part of this. We got in a big fight and decided I would work at that inner city day camp (pretty much volunteer work). I was living at home and they wanted me on a relatively regular sleep schedule was part of their reasoning. Eh, it was probably good for me to do again anyhow...and working 1230-430 isn't exactly hard and doesn't keep you from doing much fun stuff.

We would fight when I would come home at 6-7am though when getting back from canterbury. They never liked that.

Bout the middle of this year (1.5 years after starting playing) they finally came around more or less. My mom said "If it's what you're going to be doing...and you have every right to decide that...then I need to embrace it..." She said now when people ask what I'm going to be doing, she tells them the truth and doesn't feel bad about it.

For a long time she was set on me getting computer science work out of school. Came to grips with the fact I wasn't about a month and a half ago.

Now it's all good and she's very supportive.

My dad doesn't like gambling at all(although realizes for me it's not really gambling...understands the bankroll stuff) and has handled everything better than my mom, although my mom insists he's always nervous but wont say anything to me about it. He's always been very interested in math and game theory. He bought me a chess book a few years ago. He's asked to read the theory of poker. He doesn't want to play, though. Just wants to understand it from a more theoretical perspective. He also said if he did end up in a situation with some guys at work playin he'd like to be able to hold his own.