Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-05-2005, 02:46 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: Making 15k a month to losing everything I have in world...

Not sure how long it took you to build up a 122K bankroll, but that is quite impressive, especially at your age.

Still, blowing that type of money in one month, when it takes me a good 3-5 years working a real job to clear that kind of dough just disgusts me.

You need to step back. Right now you have almost 5 grand in monthly expenses and only about 9 grand you can access.

STEP 1: REDUCE MONTHLY EXPENSES

Not sure what is costing you almost 5 grand a month, but you need to drop those costs AND fast.

STEP 2: USE OF YOUR 9 GRAND

Try to stay out of debt if possible, credit problems suck. You also cannot devote all 9 grand to your poker bankroll, you MUST only devote that which is expendable income, that you can realistically afford to lose. You're going to need to sell a lot of your toys and settle for less....for now.

If you're as skilled as I believe you are, you should be able to grind your way back up. Your need to get it "quickly" worries me though. It's like people who play slots or purchase scratch tickets, looking to get rich quick. You've played for four years and had success, but it wasn't all overnight, it took you four years to get to that 122K, right? Don't expect to get it again in another month.

It's kind of like losing weight. It's VERY easy to gain pounds, but taking them off isn't as easy. In poker, it's VERY easy to lose money, but more difficult to make it.

STEP 3: You MUST set aside a good 6 months worth of money if you plan to play poker for a living. This should be separate from your bankroll, so that it doesn't get lost in the game. This money is there when things aren't going your way, to make up for the lack of poker income.

This money should be replaced as soon as you can, and kept at 6 months so you can live comfortably for a bit if needs be.

You should also be ready when you win again, to drop down in betting limits when things aren't going your way. Yes, it sucks, but it can help renew your confidence AND most importantly get you back making money instead of losing it.

What you're doing right now is chasing after your losses. Does your girlfriend work or bring in any income? Perhaps a part-time job to bring in some money while you play some lower-limit poker on the side.

Regardless, I hope it all works out for you, but don't go crazy, be smart and plan. And remember us little guys who don't have 122K bankrolls when you get back up there. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 03:29 PM

Default good grief

I don't know that much about Omaha, but I'm pretty certain he should've mucked his hand preflop. He got lucky and won a thousand bucks. Rinse, dry, repeat and he'll be broke again in no time. Now I'm starting to feel sorry for his gf and family...
Old 04-05-2005, 04:14 PM

Default ROFL. This Guy is a Gem

[ QUOTE ]
I play for stacks I dont want to just win a pot I want to bust a guy and I think thats what makes me successful at PLO8 over last few years

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea how he squares that comment with his post here. This guy is an action junkie, a gambler (that post flop, pot size raise is ridiculous w/ 1 card in play - he found a <((-< is all...), and apparently a liar.

He needs to get his stuff together otherwise this train wreck is just gonna get worse.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: good grief

Yah, I'm not that great an Omaha player, either, but that's definitely a sucker hand.
Old 04-05-2005, 04:50 PM

Location: Pokah Is Nice, I Love Play Pokah (Chau Giang quote) Location: Massachusetts
Default Re: good grief

[ QUOTE ]
Yah, I'm not that great an Omaha player, either, but that's definitely a sucker hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

2 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

That was his hand. While it's double-suited (which is nice in Omaha) the suits aren't high enough to hope to win with a flush.

Then again, this is Omaha Hi/Lo 8 or better, so there are low hands to consider. 2/3/5 isn't bad, but it isn't great.

He's only up against one opponent, but he's going to need a magical flop to win it, and that's what he got. His opponent being so married to his pocket Aces wasn't very good either though.

Notice how he hasn't posted all the hands he lost 122 thousand dollars with. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-05-2005, 05:09 PM

Default Re: Making 15k a month to losing everything I have in world...

Its over around 40k hands (30k of which is 8 tabling). I'm including 10-15/hr from rakeback which is reasonable. I'll post a screenshot if I remember when I get home.

-SmileyEH
Old 04-05-2005, 09:23 PM

Default Take the bullet. N/M

N/M