Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with this?
Definately 27 65.85%
Yes, but they wouldn't win much 8 19.51%
They would break-even 0 0%
No, perfect preflop play doesn't gauruntee anything 6 14.63%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-03-2005, 02:06 AM

Default Re: Drinking Alone

Somebody define alcoholic for me, and don't give me some AA bullshit either. I'm thinking of somethign along the lines of an addiction being something that interferes with your work/ school/ family/ friends/ ability to live your day to day life. While blacking out is certainly not healthy, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything I don't think it makes one an alcoholic.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Somebody define alcoholic for me, and don't give me some AA bullshit either.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fair question, and I'll admit that I don't have a rigorous definition in my head. The way I use it day to day, I typically mean somebody who drinks idiotic amounts of alcohol often. Vague definition, I know, but if I never see somebody drinking without turning into a sloppy mess, I start to bandy the term about.

[ QUOTE ]

I'm thinking of somethign along the lines of an addiction being something that interferes with your work/ school/ family/ friends/ ability to live your day to day life.

[/ QUOTE ]

By this standard, cigarettes are not an addiction, as far as I can tell.

[ QUOTE ]
While blacking out is certainly not healthy, as long as it doesn't interfere with anything I don't think it makes one an alcoholic.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're attaching too much moral weight to the term alcoholic. I essentially mean somebody who drinks in an obviously unhealthy manner. I don't mean a moral degenerate. Sadly, people tend to connect the two.
Old 04-03-2005, 02:20 AM

Nothing wrong with drinking alone. There's a stigma attached to it, but a lot of the people who would look down on someone who drinks alone are the same people who have no problem with someone who smokes the occasional bowl while multi-tabling by himself.
Old 04-03-2005, 03:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you people saying nobody else ever drinks to the point of blackout even in social scenes? Have you people ever been to college, or a good keg party?

[/ QUOTE ]

i would say at least twice a week i blackout when i'm the only one drinking.

That's what the OP wrote. That's very different than having a crazy night and blacking out.
Old 04-03-2005, 04:43 AM

As a reformed drug addict, this all sounds very bad to me. My brother is also an alcoholic. He can function societally as an alcoholic, just as I could as a drug addict, but that doesn't mean it isn't a serious plroblem. By making this post, you are clearly concerned that you might have a problem - this is usually an indication that there is, in fact, a problem. You drink every night, often alone, and frequently to the point of blacking out. I'm telling you what you already know when I say you have a problem. It is up to you whether or not you choose to do anything about it.

For me, I just quit one day. I just stopped. A few months later, I was having difficulty adjusting to sober life, so I walked into a NA meeting. It was the only one I went to. After that it was a personal and private struggle. Not the struggle to keep away from drugs - I was sure and committed to that, but the struggle to create a new life. I felt like a baby again. I didn't really understand how social relationships were supposed to work - all of my friends had been fellow drug addicts. But I'm getting off the subject. Point is, you have a problem.

CSC
Old 04-03-2005, 04:59 AM

You still a cook? If so, that's a tough industry to be in for someone w/ drug/alcohol problems. Congrats.
Old 04-03-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You still a cook? If so, that's a tough industry to be in for someone w/ drug/alcohol problems. Congrats.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wish I could tell you, "no its not like that", but of course it is. The "tough" part is not staying away from insobreity, but being constantly around people who have a lifestyle that I have experienced and rejected. It is lonely more than anything else. So I post here.

CSC