Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Quick Note

Just because something sounds "incredible" doesn't mean it can't be true. Also, another former nurse has made lesser claims against Michael's conduct.

Don't you think a spouse who is seriously involved with another partner and kids is at least somewhat less likely to have the best interests of the other spouse at heart?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Question about this case...

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how you can so easily support war and the death that comes with it, yet be so intensely opposed to euthanasia.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well for the sake of completeness let me add that I'm also opposed to capital punishment in almost every case.

As for your question: what if, in certain instances, the death costs of "not-war" may actually be greater in the long run than the death costs of "war", Wacki? I believe that is the case sometimes. Would that be a possible reconciliation of the apparent contradiction you seem to perceive? And by the way, that is not even addressing the matter of the horrors of totalitarian oppression.

By the way, when I was younger, I used to be opposed to war under any circumstances. That was before I realized the breadth and scope of the evils some regimes do--evils which are sometimes greater, in the long run, than the tragic human costs of war itself.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:24 PM

Default Re: Neurologist, Mayo Clinic Lab Director: Terri Is No Vegetable

Interesting link Brain

-Zeno
Old 03-24-2005, 11:27 PM

Default Re: Quick Note

[ QUOTE ]
Just because something sounds "incredible" doesn't mean it can't be true.

[/ QUOTE ]It does when it would have to involve a conspiracy by the hospital staff, the police, many many courts, doctors, a husband, and Terry's parents.

Wackjob.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your article tells quite a different story than CNN.

[/ QUOTE ]

hence i think its much more reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

... says jaxmike as he peers carefully out from his survivalist bunker, adjusting his tinfoil hat to block out the ever-present mind-control rays from the secret communist/jewish/one-world-government/U.N. conspiracy that's plotting to brainwash him into believing in evolution by putting flouride in his drinking water and subversive academics in universities ...

q/q
Old 03-25-2005, 11:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
your article tells quite a different story than CNN.

[/ QUOTE ]

hence i think its much more reliable.

[/ QUOTE ]

... says jaxmike as he peers carefully out from his survivalist bunker, adjusting his tinfoil hat to block out the ever-present mind-control rays from the secret communist/jewish/one-world-government/U.N. conspiracy that's plotting to brainwash him into believing in evolution by putting flouride in his drinking water and subversive academics in universities ...

q/q

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost funny, if it weren't so ignorant.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:33 AM

Default Re: Question about this case...

BTW I'm opposed to the death penalty as well. The simple answer is that the "war" in Iraq was actually disposed of without much loss of life. Removing the murderous and illegitimate Hussein regime from it's tyranny was a desirable outcome. The insurgency is another matter. The targeting and murder of innocent civillians by the insurgents has led to a loss of life that is unnecessary and unconscionable. I note that there were more protests of the insurgency in Iraq yesterday and recently there have been reports of civillians taking up arms agaisnt the insurgents and killing the insurgents. I also note that the reports are that insurgents gunned down five civillian women today. Killing insurgents who want to kill me and would do so if given the opportunity and act by murdering innocent civilliams seems to be a far cry from supporting life for Terri Schiavo and being opposed to euthanasia. Also I'd like to address the nonsense by some posters that this is private family matter. When Michael's lawyer holds press conferences; Michael allows himself to be interviewed on Nightline; and the Schiavo's and their lawyers give press conferences and interviews it ceases to be a private matter for those reasons alone. Furthermore the possible ramifications of "right to die" laws and legal decisions that are shall we say "ugly" are manifested in this case and in my mind are worth discussing.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:36 PM

Default The important question here

The important question for the family is the medical prognosis. The important question for us is whether legislature and the executive (in washington and Florida) whould be meddling in this personal decision.

Focus on process not emotional inputs.

The courts have ruled that the decision belongs with the husband. The rest is political drama and grandstanding.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:49 PM

Default Re: The important question here

[ QUOTE ]
The courts have ruled that the decision belongs with the husband.

[/ QUOTE ]

As did the state legislature when it set forth the rules for who becomes guardian of the person in such situations.
Old 03-25-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So you don't believe she can feel anything, and that she has zero consciousness?

[/ QUOTE ]

this isn't what i believe. this is what the most respected medical evidence points to.

[ QUOTE ]
Well, I would bet you are wrong

[/ QUOTE ]

i'll put everything i got on the line so how much you got to wager?

[ QUOTE ]
The mere fact that various doctors are on record as having taken opposing positions on this should give you serious cause for uncertainty rather than conviction.

[/ QUOTE ]

common, you've gotta have something better than this. You obviously don't have a strong understanding of legal philosophy or the legal world. You should find civil case rulings and read the judge/s rulings. At least, by doing so, you should come to understand how professional testimonies are interpreted by the courts.