Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Is the betting now capped?
Yes 60 37.97%
No 98 62.03%
Voters: 158. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-26-2005, 11:50 AM

Default Re: The SUPERMAN/VADER FINALS!!

I would just like to point out that if Superman wins, Batman's the reigning champion. (He's taken down superman a number of times).
Old 03-27-2005, 01:54 AM

Let's settle this once and for all real simple so there's no ambiguity....

Superman Move 1: Superman Wakes up on earth one morning.

Vader Move 1: Uses deathstar to destroy earth.

Endgame
Old 03-27-2005, 03:16 AM

This is such an incredibly geek thread, and yet so horribly lacking in solid geekness.

That is about to change.

First of all, Superman has several different incarnations - The Superman of the 30's was significantly weaker than the Superman of today ("Faster than a speeding bullet, more powerfull than a locomotive, able to leap tall buldings in a single bound"). The Superman of today is significantly weaker than the Superman of the 60's and 70's. The Superman of other medias (cartoons, tv, movies) have a variety of power levels. These incarnations of the character are so varied, they could be considered completely different heroes.

The silver age (60's) Superman would have the best chance, that guy could breathe in space, push planets around and travel in time. The modern Superman is far more modest, though his power levels have crept up since he was de-powered in the 80's.

However, I don't think that really matters.

Superman has several long standing weaknesses, not just Kryptonite! He's also vulnerable to magic and our sun's radiation is the source of his powers - In deep space or under a sun with less solar radiation (ie: a red sun) his powers will fade.

If the Force counts as "magic" (which it certainly did until episode 1 came along, and I think everyone agrees that was a bad idea) then Superman is in big, big trouble.

Even if the force does not count as magic and is instead psionic in nature, Superman is not immune to ESP, mind-control, and telekinetic type powers!

Superman is not unbeatable on a physical level either, he was killed by Doomsday in a slugfest (on Earth, anyone who says Supes can't be hurt on Earth obviously never read a comic book. Happens all the time). Yeh, he got better. It's a comic book, they always get better.

None of this matters, however, Superman has faced plenty of villains on par with Vader and he's always come out on top, eventually. While Vader is a tragic figure which means his destiny is doomed.

Give me a hero with Vader's powers and Superman looses. Hell, Superman looses to Obi-Wan or Luke. But against a villain of Vader's caliber, Supes always brings his A game and finds a way to win.
Old 03-27-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Superman Move 1: Superman Wakes up on earth one morning.

Vader Move 1: Uses deathstar to destroy earth.

[/ QUOTE ]

Now you know why Krypton really blew up...