Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: How do you feel about sunglasses at B&M games less than 6/12?
They can be helpful. 24 12.97%
They are irrelevant, as no one can pick up tells anyway. 32 17.30%
Anyone who wears them at these limits is clearly a fool. 129 69.73%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-07-2005, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Conservatives are born rich!

I did not read every post in detail but I do think a point that needs to be made, and one that has not been brought up yet, is this: Many people, in a very real sense, ‘hold themselves back', (or just maintain) whether on a conscious or subconscious level. Many people are comfortable in their 'class position' and social structure that they grow up in, and indeed look down on those that are different from them, all up and down the scale of society. This phenomenon is not exclusive to any one group, or ‘race’, or class of people. This is a cultural and physiological issue that is difficult to elucidate in a comprehensive way but it is a strong tendency among all human societies, in my opinion. An Anthropologist could probably say more on this matter in a constructive way.

Now some may ‘hold themselves back’ or not wish to break out of their social sphere or class because of upbringing, or family life, or circle of friends, etc., the list could go on and on. So outside influences push and pull on all people but especially young people and inside inherent forces do the same. It is often difficult to get some people to see this and to take the risk needed to change. All change has inherent risk attached to it: risk of failure, risk of loosing friends, risk of being look down on by peers, risk of the ‘unknown’, risk of new ideas or challenges etc.

I know full well what I am discussing here. My siblings are prime examples of both extremes along this continuum of human nature.

I am just touching on a subject that could probably fill a book, so other comments and points are obviously welcome.

-Zeno
Old 03-07-2005, 11:22 PM

Your '94 Blazer and my '93 Explorer probably have a lot in common.

Obviously you have a lot of uncertainty in your life right now. I hope it all works out for you.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:38 PM

Libertarian, below average income.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:56 AM

Interesting discussion thus far. I grew up in a poor family and hold conservative views now. I was a garden variety Democrat until about halfway through college. I used to think that government assistance was what put my family over the hump. That is right up until the point where I realized that maybe the fact that my mom worked two jobs for most of my life and was going back to school while doing it might have had a little to do with it. OR maybe the fact that I did well enough in school in to get my college education paid for. That was at the point at which I drew away from typical Democratic views. However I am not not hardcore anti welfare either.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:19 AM

Zeno, I'd say those are perfect examples of my thoughts on attitude. Some people just don't have the proper attitude for helping themselves. And no amount of government intervention is going to change that. That kind of change needs to come from within.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:42 AM

Good stuff zeno.

and you are very right in saying this stuff could fill a book. in regards to subjects like this I have a very tough time seeing right or wrong answer, or a debate winner and loser.
Old 03-08-2005, 02:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've shared ideas about helping people.

I haven't heard any from you and your allies on here except for "let's abolish welfare" and "let's cut government spending".

[/ QUOTE ]

You can help people by using your upper middle class wallet to create jobs. Start a business. Invest. Buy things. Give to charities that put people to work. This is much more effective than taking people's money at gunpoint for redistribution.

Your arguements may hold water for those born into poverty in Sierra Leone or Rwanda, but not the United States. Accept the fact that some people are content being West Virginia hillbillies. Others are content living in housing projects. Can you at least acknowledge the possiblitiy that certain segments of society have weighed the costs of pulling themselves out of poverty (Long hours of work, considerable self-sacrifice) and decided it is just easier to stay in their Section 8 housing and live on welfare and food stamps?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:57 AM

Oh...

[ QUOTE ]
Labor productivity has gained 26 percent since 1997...

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess I was reading this wrong.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've shared ideas about helping people.

I haven't heard any from you and your allies on here except for "let's abolish welfare" and "let's cut government spending".

[/ QUOTE ]

You can help people by using your upper middle class wallet to create jobs. Start a business. Invest. Buy things. Give to charities that put people to work. This is much more effective than taking people's money at gunpoint for redistribution.

Your arguements may hold water for those born into poverty in Sierra Leone or Rwanda, but not the United States. Accept the fact that some people are content being West Virginia hillbillies. Others are content living in housing projects. Can you at least acknowledge the possiblitiy that certain segments of society have weighed the costs of pulling themselves out of poverty (Long hours of work, considerable self-sacrifice) and decided it is just easier to stay in their Section 8 housing and live on welfare and food stamps?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a college student. I don't have much disposable income, but I give what I can afford to charity(prob about $300/yr)
Old 03-08-2005, 04:07 AM

I bet there are more multi-millionaire Democrats in Congress than Republicans.

Not content with spending their own money, these democrats figure they can spend everyone else's money as well.