Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2005, 03:00 PM

Default Re: Andy/Snakehead...where the hell are u guys?

I thought I made it clear I prefer the QJs. but I thing there would have to be special circumstances before I would get invloved in a capped pot with either hand.
Old 02-10-2005, 03:14 PM

Mea culpa...I never understand clear posts...heh
Old 02-10-2005, 09:04 PM

Hey, if I knew the answer I wouldn't have asked the question.

I think at Commerce I'd prefer the Q-Js. It's more likely a capper or 3-bettor has T-T or 9-9 and less likely somebody has A-A or K-K than in, say, Vegas, so catching one pair in Commerce has a better chance of being enough and is less worrisome to play than in nittier games.

At Commerce, it's often capped pre-flop and then you get to see the flop for one bet. Lots of guys check to the capper and just call, even with what they perceive as a big hand. I think that helps both hands.

And I like Ray's prettier argument.
Old 02-09-2005, 10:56 PM

Default Re: Q-Js or 8-8

I'm not calling 3 cold but if I get caught up in it I like 88
a. Because its easier to play later
b. because no one else surely has the cards i'd most like to see
Old 02-10-2005, 02:10 AM

For those who prefer QJs over 88: where do you draw the line? How about 5 people but for only 3 bets preflop? How about capped preflop but only 3 players? Is there something magical about 5 players capped that suddenly makes QJs preferable? I'm sure if I said 3 handed for 3 bets some of you would pick 88. If I keep adding players and adding bets, what is it about a particular amount of players/bets that makes you switch?
Old 02-10-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It looks like's it's going to be a 5-way pot for 4 bets (capped) pre-flop. Which hand would you rather have: Q-Js or 8-8? Do position or post-flop skill or aggressiveness (or lack thereof) in your opponents (or other factors) affect your choice?

[/ QUOTE ]

Haven't had time to look at the other 2234 responses but I'd easily take the pair. Most of your good flops to QJs will be draws and extremely expensive to draw to. The eights will play themselves and win huge when they hit a set. In either case, a single pair isn't going to win often enough to matter.

In multi-way capped flops, it usually takes a big hand or draw to win I'd rather flop the big hand.

~ Rick
Old 02-11-2005, 09:00 AM

For me, QJs (in any seat) is all bad in a 5way capped pot. The cards just aren't high enough, even if the other players in the pot are very loose.

If enough players who feel the need to Be In Charge are in the pot, I might play the 88 if the time were right for a draw like that. But it almost always feels right to muck 88 when it's getting capped.