Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 PM

Default Re: So my teacher called me sexist in front of the whole class..

[ QUOTE ]
I didn't post this to show my great joke. I thought the joke was funny, but I like toilet and immature humor. I laugh at Harold & Kumar.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoy potty humor too. But this is different.... I think because the underlying assumption of the joke is that tampons are somehow embarrassing. But that is such a lame thing to be embarrassed by.

Anyway...

[ QUOTE ]
It's not the point, if the teacher had just said "I didn't find that funny" and moved on this wouldn't be posted.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are right. That would have been the response of a cooler teacher. I might even say the "correct" response. But forget that... that's not what happened. What happened was that this guy got angry in a lame way. The question to you becomes: What is the best way to deal with this guy's anger?

I think that if you just sort of smile and say, "Whoa, sorry. I was just kidding" -- without getting angry -- that makes him look like the jackass. Plus he has no reason to dislike you anymore.

But getting mad back -- lashing out with another lame joke, or provoking comment, or whatever you want to call it -- is not a good response. That makes you look just as bad as he does. Not to mention that fact that he will now dislike you, not a good thing if you plan to stay in the class.

gm
Old 01-25-2005, 09:17 PM

I'm trying to think of some male specific thing and what my reaction would be if a girl said "i don't want to get that baseball" (just assume baseball means the equivelent of tampax for men). I wouldn't care in the least.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also - just to add, I know about half the people in the class. We've been through most of the major together. I don't care if some think I'm sexist, I'm just a sarcastic punk sometimes.

If it matters.. one guy who has had the teacher multiple times asked the teacher "Why do you always have to go off on someone the first day of class?"

So he's known for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say the prof is trying to come across as sensitive so he can score some hottie coed bootie.

He may be batting for the wrong team, too though.

Seriously, I'd say he's probably trying to assert some level of control over his class. He probably sees a shrink multiple times a week.

In other words, don't sweat it dude. Unless he continues to have it out for you. In which case you should either complain to someone higher or beat his ass.

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 01-25-2005, 09:18 PM

Answers should have gone as follows.

Favorite pig out food: Beer.

Never get caught buying: Zima.
Old 01-25-2005, 09:53 PM

I have learned that when you stick your foot in your mouth it is best just to shut up. The guy is a dick though. That was a valid response. He just singled you out to slap around and make himself look like a big man.

The only time I refused to buy tampons was one girlfriend who asked me to go out every month. After a while I was like, hey you can count... be prepared.

But once in a while as a favor what's the big deal.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:44 PM

Best not to try to revenge on the tampoon incident, rather have your wits about you and wait for him to f-up in class. Speak out quickly, make the class laugh. If he turns red you win.
Old 01-25-2005, 10:55 PM

I'm retarded...

When I did my trial, I used all-caps. With all caps, Arial is bigger but I don't think a prof would be that happy with an all caps report.
Old 01-25-2005, 11:09 PM

If he's as flaming as you say, I wouldn't worry about it. Flamers are known for loving to get worked up over little to nothing. So I personally wouldn't be too offended by it. Pissed at first? Definitely. But no long-term thing.

If half the class knows you personally, your rep isn't that big of a problem.

The only thing I would be concerned about is just watching where you step the next few classes. It could be a very long semester if you get on his bad side early.