Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 04:37 PM

Default Re: They say it builds character...

Dont listen to Evan this is the place to post your small stakes stats, if people dont like stats posts then dont read them.

It's easier to do that when the post is clearly labeled.

Besides, the great thing about stat posts like this is that even though the stats are basically opaque, there's no reason you can't respond with detailed advice:

You are playing way too tight. The games at $2/$4 dont require such tight preflop standards. I'm taking a guess here but it looks like you are going too far with your overcards. You finally get a hand and you dont want to dump it when you miss, then you take it to the river and are reverse dominated when you hit TP or lose to a bigger hand. When you make a good hand you dont get any action cos people have seen you folding hand after hand and when the flop is Ace high they know you have something.

Joe BaseballPlayer asks helpmeout for advice. I'm batting .245 this season, what's up?

I've never seen you swing a bat, but I'm gonna take a guess here and say that you're too concerned with pulling fastballs from left-handed pitchers. You end up so intent on getting out in front of the heater that you're not even touching the breaking pitches and change-ups that come by. Without knowing what position you play or what stadium, I'd suggest you switch gloves and consider dropping your elbow mid-swing.
Old 12-05-2004, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
CDC's post said "No Content" or something like that in the title. He was not interested in creating a discussion on whether or not he deserved to be hugged, when someone might hug him, or where said hugging might take place.

It was a joke, this was not (not intentionally anyway).

[/ QUOTE ]

The "No Content" excuse is a joke. You couldn't tell what this post was going to be before you opened it? I don't care if people make posts like this but you can't just pick and choose which ones are suitable for posting and which aren't based on who you like. Chris can guise his post with whatever "humor" he wants, but he was basically just whining that he is running bad. Just because this guy didn't follow exact forum etiquette doesn't mean he needs to be berated or told that his post was "a joke" whether intentionally or no. I agree that he is probably not a winner in the game he lost 400 bb in, and I don't really like whining posts or bad beat stories either, but let's at least be consistent with the way we reply to people.
-James
Old 12-05-2004, 07:11 PM

I can't believe that people are saying that you're "too tight," as if the reason someone would be down 400 BBs after 17,000 hands at 2/4 is that you don't play JTo on the button after 3 limpers or whatever. It's because you're experiencing the mother of all downswings or your postflop play is bad. Likely both.

Being "too tight" is a reason you'd be "winning but not crushing", not a reason you'd be losing.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The "No Content" excuse is a joke. You couldn't tell what this post was going to be before you opened it? I don't care if people make posts like this but you can't just pick and choose which ones are suitable for posting and which aren't based on who you like. Chris can guise his post with whatever "humor" he wants, but he was basically just whining that he is running bad. Just because this guy didn't follow exact forum etiquette doesn't mean he needs to be berated or told that his post was "a joke" whether intentionally or no. I agree that he is probably not a winner in the game he lost 400 bb in, and I don't really like whining posts or bad beat stories either, but let's at least be consistent with the way we reply to people.
-James

[/ QUOTE ]

I feel like I'm doing this way too much lately, but I'm going to chime in and say that James hit the nail on the head. I was reading through the thread and composing a very similar post, but he beat me to it...

I think it's also important to note that the most vocal advocates of a less cluttered forum are the ones who clutter it by constantly bumping useless threads like this one.

I like the good natured OT stuff on this board, but one thread featuring 100 replies from a bunch of self-righteous mediocre 3/6 multitablers picking on the new guy is more of an eyesore than 10 stupid posts that don't get bumped and fall off the front page.

I'm happy to see CDC's post get a lot of replies because the replies are pleasant to read. But this post should have gotten one corteous reply explaining where the post belonged, and then been allowed to die a quiet death.

scrub
Old 12-05-2004, 07:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just because this guy didn't follow exact forum etiquette doesn't mean he needs to be berated or told that his post was "a joke"

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I worded that poorly. I mean that the thread in general was a joke, mainly because its just not useful at all.

What has come of it so far? 400 bb downswings were bad, multitabling before you're winning 5 bb/100 is bad, I am stupid. No more than 2 of those things could possibly be true and none af them are particularly helpful to anyone.

As far as this constant reference to Chris' post...I really felt like that was a joke, a parody, whatever. He posted it at like 5 am and probably assumed it would die pretty quickly. I dunno, maybe I'm wrong. But this one seems like people are trying to make real rationalizations and conclusions from numbers that are pretty much useless. Its something that happens entirely too often for what it brings to the forum, nothing.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:37 PM

I agree that this thread is entirely too long. I think I was the first reply and I probably wasn't all that cutious but I basically said what you're talking about if I recal.

I have this semi- hopeless goal each time I respond to one of these posts that by saying that it sould go somewhere else the next one will go elsewhere. Maybe that's stupid, I don't know. Maybe I should stop doing that.
Old 12-05-2004, 07:40 PM

I think you just need to get laid.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:01 PM

Yea. I really do. I did hook up with a girl last night at a party though, so I'm getting close. Maybe I should post my Sex Tracker stats and you guys can tell me why I'm not getting laid enough.

VPIP: 35 I'm a lot looser in this game
PFR: 6 I don't think I'm being aggressive enough
WTSD: 20 I think I'm getting pushed out by too much action
W$SD: 70 I think I'm making some bad plays near the end

So tell me guys, what should I do to get laid more?
Old 12-05-2004, 08:06 PM

So you think its better to just say sorry those stats are meaningless, please post a bunch of random hands so we can look at.

I'd prefer post your stats, then have people make an educated guess on where you are going wrong. Sure sometimes the stats dont mean much but a lot of the time they do. It looks pretty obvious that he is overplaying hands dont you think?

Now go back and look at those areas then post hands.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:07 PM

I've heard you're under-rolled