Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2004, 03:14 AM

Default Re: lost my roll

You play on Party? What's your login name and where should I look for you?
Old 11-16-2004, 03:22 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

I believe it was Gambloor or someone close to that handle who awhile back had a great post/response about moving up. I really wish i'd bookmarked it. But if i remember it right, it was about taking a shot at the higher limit once you're above the current limit's roll.

Say in your case, you have 1200. Say you multitable 3 tables. Put one table as a 2-4 table. The rest 1-2. Slowly ease into it. There's no reason to just jump into it with your whole roll. Lately i've been trying this online. I'm on a slightly bad run on the 2-4, but killing the 1-2 making up for it.

You can judge for yourself if you're running bad, when to pull up the stakes on the 2-4 and decide to take a shot at it at a later time. But if anything, you don't want to fall below the 'sustainable' or 'comfortable' roll at your present limit. But if you're above it, throw a table on there with a step up in limit.

b
Old 11-16-2004, 02:20 PM

Well, since I work full time, there's really no pressure to move up in levels if I don't feel comfortable. I have no illusions of turning pro or anything, and mainly use this as a way to get some spending money outside of my 9-5 salary.

But of course I would like to win more, so I probably will start mixing in a 2-4 table here and there like you said.

One thing I was thinking about last night was why there seem to be quite a few posts about people struggling to make the jump from the 0.50-1.00/1-2 level to the 2-4/3-6 level. I have some thoughts on that, and I think I'm going to make a separate post to see what people think.
Old 11-16-2004, 03:05 PM

Default Re: thanks for your honesty

[ QUOTE ]

Also, I still feel I lost the BR based on my own stupidity and bad play. Sure I got a number of suckouts that only increased my tilt factor, but this happens to any poker player. I'm no different.

[/ QUOTE ]

If this is what you got out of the whole experience, it was worth it. Good luck and get back in there.
Old 11-16-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: BR update

[ QUOTE ]
Didn't even think I could do that.

Makes sense though.

I could be so dense sometimes.

[/ QUOTE ]

The e-mail the sent you says you can.

[ QUOTE ]
If you choose to unregister from this tournament your account will be credited
with $215.00 Tournament dollars. Tournament dollars can be used to buy into
any tournament.

Visit our web site at http://www.pokerstars.com/tournaments.html for more
details.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-17-2004, 03:35 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
One thing I was thinking about last night was why there seem to be quite a few posts about people struggling to make the jump from the 0.50-1.00/1-2 level to the 2-4/3-6 level.

[/ QUOTE ]

On UB, i've found the 2-4 to be a bit tougher than the 1-2. Especially really early morning. This may or may not be the same with other sites. I think on Party, with the sheer number of players, it may not be quite as noticeable.

b
Old 11-17-2004, 03:51 AM

replying to the original poster here:

i go to college at KU, and have quite a few fellow student friends that have built up bankrolls in a similar fashion to what you described (somewhere between 5 and ten to various degrees, some have only a thousand dollar bankroll, others much more than you did).
i find that almost all of us have at some point played in games above our bankroll, gone on bad runs, and suffered from hard core tilt.
its a learning experience that almost everyone goes through at some point.
one of my friends with a 5k bankroll took a shot at 15/30 30/60 limit this past weekend and dropped 2k just running badly. not his "fault" per se, but he shouldnt have been playing that big of a game and he knew the risk he was taking. hes back at smaller stacks now rebuilding.
one good thing for all of us is that its JUST PROFIT weve lost. we arent in debt or have other financial responsibilities. also, realize that you could never have ran $30 up to 3/4k unless you were playing WAY outside your bankroll at some point.
i think youve got the correct mindset now, and this experience will pave the way for a good poker future once you get your head straight and dont feel down anymore. the fact that youve been reading zen and the art of poker is very encouraging, thats what i recommend to any of my friends who drops a large amount of money quickly.

by the way, the worst case of this of all my friends was this guy who ran $100 on party poker up to about thirty thousand, built it up playing the small NL games and sit and gos, then went on a HUGE run jumping up in stakes at limit, and eventually lost almost all of it playing the biggest limit games on that site.
he learned his lesson and is rebuilding on doyles room right now and is really smart about his bankroll.